View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

21 August 1916

Western Front
Battle of the Somme:
Fresh German counter-attack near Thiepval (2 more to south fail on August 22). Fighting south of Thiepval ends in slight British gain (August 23). British advance on 1/2-mile front northwest of Pozieres.

Southern Front
Salonika:
British raiders (4 casualties) blow up 5 bridges east of river Struma (and on August 23).
Allied forces counterattack against Bulgaria, as Anglo-French troops cross the Struma River and Serbian troops move against Monastir.

Naval and Overseas Operations
North Sea:
Royal Navy submarine E-54 torpedoes and sinks German mine-laying sub UC-10 at Schouwen Bank. The British submarine E-54 running on high speed: http://i0.wp.com/world-war-one.net/...2016/08/E54.jpg

Political, etc.
Germany:
Due to protests, Germany cancels a $250,000 fine it levied on occupied Brussels for celebrating Belgian National Day.
Germany and Austria-Hungary warns Romania that allowing Russian troops passage through the country will result in war.
United Kingdom: Almost all exports to Sweden prohibited. Directorate of Graves Registration and Enquiries formed.
Premier Asquith states Germany has yet “to agree to peace except on terms that would be intolerable or humiliating to some of the Allies.”
United States: U.S. men’s soccer (football) team plays its first international match against Sweden in Stockholm. U.S. wins 3-2.