View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

27 August 1916

Western Front
Storms hit the Western Front, bringing to a halt major operations. Small attacks are beaten back by both sides.
British and French aeroplanes bomb Ghent and hit an ammunition depot, causing several civilian casualties.
France claims they shot down five German aeroplanes today; Germany also claims they shot down 5 Allied planes.
Battle of the Somme: British 3rd Brigade attack Grevillers.

Eastern Front
In nothing short of a blatant land-grab, Rumanian Government orders mobilisation and declares war on Austria-Hungary
(see 17th and 28th). RUMANIA INVADES HUNGARIAN TRANSYLVANIA (Austria-Hungary) via eight major passes, a month earlier than Falkenhayn expected; Kaiser’s reaction ‘The war is lost’.
Russians attempt to revive the Brusilov offensive, in the Carpathians: Lechitski (17 divisions) attacks on 75-mile front between Nadworna and Dorna Watra, takes Mt Pantyr (August 29).

Southern Front
Italy declares war on Germany (to this date, having only officially been at war with Austria-Hungary, and possibly Bulgaria.)
Salonika: Some ground gained by Serbs near Vetrenik in a general offensive.

Naval and Overseas Operations
East Africa:
British 1st and 2nd Divisions link on Railway 12 miles east of Kilosa.

Political, etc.
Germany:
Kaiser Wilhelm orders the postponement of any executions of French prisoners both civilian and military.
United Kingdom: British railroad union members march in Hyde Park to protest the increasing cost of living.
Russia: Russia states it is willing to cooperate with the U.S. to feed starving Polish civilians under German occupation.
Romania: During the Crown Council session at Cotroceni Palace, King Ferdinand rebuffs opposition to split with Berlin ‘Then I have conquered the Hohenzollern who was in me, I fear no one’.
United States: Democratic Senator Reed of Missouri accuses the Republican “old guard, in control of the party and the candidate, want a corrupt election.”
Greece: Venizelos addresses Athens protest meeting against King’s policy (Metaxas dismissed August 26).