View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
is not this trim anymore!

It's generally understood that litigation rewards the litigators, not the victims in the suit.

I had a landlord withhold my security deposit and provide me with a mile long list of reasons why. Luckily, I was prepared for it because the previous tenant reached out to us right after we leased the apartment seeking our assistance for the same problem. I had provided her with a letter stating that all of the items on her list were not significant issues and were not addressed prior to our occupancy...and that the landlord did not give any indication they were going to be addressed.

I called the previous tenant and together, we brought the landlord to court. Because the deposits were wrongfully withheld, we were entitled to twice the value back...which was just enough to cover the legal fees. But you know what? I didn't care! Even if I didn't get money back, it brought me joy knowing they had to pay something out.

Yeah, I know, counting time off from work and all the aggravation it was a phyrric victory but it was also a moral one. We won one for the good guys! ha ha

So to address your question, if all it takes is the filling out of a form and the cost of a stamp...why not do it? Even if you don't hit the mother load, you may at least make someone accountable for a wrongdoing.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.