Thread: Body Image
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 01:47 AM

Yep. Michael Smith. That's my real name! Thank you, ladies, for the nice welcome and the kind words. I'm new to this forum, but it looks like it could quickly become one of my favorites!

Thank you for your replies. They were very informational. The reason I asked the question is because of something I read where a woman asked, "How can I feel sexy in the bedroom when I can't even accept myself as attractive." Here is my take on the subject of body image, from a man's point of view. Please let me know if you agree.

Most men are so happy to be in bed with you, they really aren’t looking for all of your flaws. We all have them. That’s what makes us all unique and gives us character. Is your man the perfect specimen? Probably not. But you accept him, flaws and all, right? I’ll bet he does the same for you. If he doesn’t, you are with the wrong man. Learning to relax during lovemaking is essential. You will enjoy it so much more. In fact, in a U.S. survey, women with a positive body image had orgasms 73% of the time. Self-conscious women only reached orgasm 42% of the time. Sex is not only about what’s happening on the outside, but also very much about what’s happening on the inside. If you are busy worrying about whether your breasts are drooping a little bit or you are trying to suck in your stomach so those extra 5 pounds you gained won’t show, then you aren’t focusing on what you should be focusing on. It only makes sense that your sex life will suffer. A good lover is a confident lover. Feel like you are sexy, and you will be. Your man already thinks you are sexy. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be making love with you.

So, that's my take on it. So far, I've discovered that a lot of women seem to have negative body images, but it doesn't seem to affect them if their man is kind, loving, and non-judgmental. Very interesting!

It's also interesting to note that, according to one survey, 75% of women thought they were "too fat". I wonder how much that has to do with the media and the fact that they love to flash ultra skinny model types in front of us everywhere - billboards, television, magazine ads, etc... These aren't "average" women. 68 percent of American women wear a size 12 or above. Those are the real average women.

Anyway, that's what I have learned so far. Anyone else wish to add anything to the discussion?