Thread: Mercenary Love
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Married Couple

Chapter Two

Cole Taggert sat behind the large maghony desk in the up stairs office of the Taggert's Bar and Grill. He sat stareing at the desk phone he had placed in front of him, as if willing it to ring. He had been back from his overseas mercenary mission for two weeks now. In those weeks, he had done a lot of soul searching. His physical wounds were nearly healed and the emotional ones, thanks to his father, grandfather, and especially the love of his live, Abby, were nearly healed too. He had been up since nearly four this morning trying to get a hold of his commanding office. And now at ten in the morning, he was awaiting the phone call that would change the rest of his life. He would either be sent back to field duty or would be training the new mercenaries in survival. He desperately hoped that it was the later.

Cole stared in disbelief as the phone rang. Picking it up on the third ring he huskily answered, "Taggert's Bar and Grill. Cole Taggert." He sat stone still as he listened and waited for his C.O. to talk. "Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Thank you, sir," was he said before placing the handle of the phone back into the craddle. A sigh of relief swept over him before he hurried down to the bar where his father and grandfather were. "Well," the two older Taggert's asked in unision, "what did they say?" "Well...," Cole replied smiling, "I'll put it this way. I need the engagement ring that mom, grandma, and great-grandma wore before marrying a Taggert." "They took you off field duty," Tom asked smiling. "What did they give you," asked his Sam. Cole sat down and explained his new training assignment to them.

Thirty minutes later, Cole left the bar to do a special "top secret" mission to surprise Abby with later that night. With it being a Friday night, he shift would start at 2:00 pm and he wanted everything ready before she even got to work. Everything had to be perfect for her.

Ten minutes til two, Abby pulled into the parking lot of the bar. Cole's truck was parked in his usual spot. "Good," she aloud to herself, "he's here." Sam and Tom hugged her when she walked behind the bar and grabbed her apron. "What's this all about," she asked. Tom and Sam smiled at each other and just said, "You'll see." Abby headed up the stairs to Cole's room to say "hi" before starting her shift. She made it about half way when he headed down. "Cole," she said in surprise, "I was just coming up to see you." "Well," he said, pulling her into his arms, "you've found me." Abby head spun as he deeply kissed her. It took her a few moments to catch her breathe. With their arms around each other's waist, they headed down the stairs.

By 8:00 pm, the bar was packed. Abby and the other four bar maids were kept busy all night long. Everyones attention, including Abby's, was turned to the bar when Cole's voice came over the sound system. Abby stared up at Cole as he stood on top of the three foot wide maghony bar with microphone in hand. "Excuse me folks," he said, "but could I have your attention and silence please. As many of you know, my name is Cole Taggert." Abby's jaw dropped as she watched the man she love stand up to his full height and hit his head on the ceiling. "Damn it," he swore rubbing his head. "Abby," he continued, "would you please join me on the bar please."

Abby nervously made her way up to the bar. "What are you doing besides embarassing both of us," she whispered up to him. Cole said nothing. Instead he held out his hand to pull her up onto the bar next to him. Abby smiled down at the crowd. She then turned to Sam and Tom, looking at them for help, but all they did was smile up at her. Abby turned back towards Cole as his voice boomed over the sound system. "As many of you know," he said, "Abby and I have had feelings for each other for some time now. But, due to my job, we've never been able to be a couple. Well, now that my job has changed, we can finally be one." Turning to Abby he got down on one knee and took her left hand in his. Abby thought she would faint as Cole looked up at her and then continued. "Abby, you've been the love of my life for some time now. You, along with my family, have been my strength. Even when I was a POW, the thought of you kept me going. And now Abby..." He paused long enough to pull the ring from his shirt pocket.

Abby cried as she knew what Cole was about to do, but didn't think that it ever would. Looking back up at her he asked, "Abby Nicole Brown, would you do me the greatest honor of becomeing my wife?" Tears streamed down her face as she screamed "yes" so loud that the crowd didn't need the sound system to hear her. Cole placed the ring on her finger before standing up and taking her into his arms and kissing her. "Finally," he whispered into her ear, "we can be together."