Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action_Jay
Bingo, nuff said. And here you were practically writing essays. *snicker*

it's a foible

but i did realize that when i post to this thread i get myself all in a snit. i just wrote (and then deleted) a few paragraphs before i realized iwas doing it again so i'm not gonna say anymore. i'll just sit back and listen from now on if anyone else has anyhting to say...

/me says really fast....right on sister angel! ^5

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Freeze!

Send a message via MSN to Mark Vieth
When I said that it comes back to the parents that is what I meant. If the parents take the time and have the correct attitude about things and are able to explain their point without squirming themselves then half the battle is won.

Now having this "well they can have sex under our roof" attitude is wrong. Our school system here in Australia teaches sex ed in grades 5-6. Now most kids just laugh at half the things that are said because they haven't been briefed by the parents. Now some parents have the mentality that the child should find out for themselves in their own time. So they won't say anything to them and let the school system do it's work.

Now as far as violence goes. Well again it comes down to the parents. If there is something on TV that is rated MA15+ then of course you are not going to allow the kids to watch it. That is of coure if they are under 15. Even still some parents would just change the channel. It's also common sense as well if an R-rated film is on then you choose not to watch it, by changing the channel or turn off the TV.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:22 AM
is not this trim anymore!

Let's not get off track by introducing violence. Good Lord...I've already failed that topic, thanks to peer pressure over LOTR! Sorry Sharni. No offense. Who in their right mind thinks that 13 is the right age for one to watch 927,638 Orcs get killed?

Back to sex. I think the way to go is to let him watch romance movies with his mother.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Made in England

Well there isn't much that I can offer but this.

Kids have and always will have sex before they are ready and violence has been around since the dawn of time.

I have always believed and practiced that the best thing I could do was to teach my kids the tools that they would need in order to live a decent life. Once these tools were taught it was up to them to apply them as they saw fit. Thankfully they both turned out great but it is because of the choices they made for themselves with guidence from their Father and myself. We were great communicators with our kids....

I was a very involved parent as was my ex husband. We didn't allow them to see things that were age inappropriate and we didn't condone violence in any form.
We started talking about sex with them at an early age and never flinched from any question that arose. I did a wonderful example to my daughter about how big a condom would stretch and my husband explained to her the nature of a teenaged boy...due to the fact he had been one lol. I explained to my son what teen girls wanted and how he had to be a decent male as he father was....We always tried to get them to put themselves into someone else's shoes, so to speak. I cannot recall and this is the truth. "I am too busy now" We were never too busy to talk to our kids. I am not trying to put forth that we were perfect by any means, but we never gave up and gave in to what was against our belief system, as I seen some parents do.

We as parents must set the limits and adhere to these limits ourselves when our children are around us....

If no one ever went to a violent movie or bought a violent video game, there would be none made for there would be no profit from it. Certain clothing for kids would not be made if people didn't give into their kids and buy them. There is no concrete answer to these problems for everywhere a kid goes it is in their face and of course then there is the peer pressure from their friends too.

Some blame the problems on single parent families and families where both parents work. I came from such a home and I turned out just fine for I had a healthy respect for my mother. I knew she was the boss and that I had to answer to her. She taught me never to just say no to a child without explaining why. It avoided the old "your just being mean to me tirade" and I also never had the excuse that I "didn't know"...unless I really didn't.

There is also not enough follow through in some of the schools today either. I can only base this on my experience though. I take my grandson to school every morning and take note of the kids on the playground.
Their are girls showing half their body off yet the school has a policy that prohibits girl's from showing bellies and shoulders, yet it is not enforced ergo it continues and grows worse each year. There is also a no contact rule yet I see the staff watching the boys throwing eachother around until someone gets hurt. The aren't allowed to take skateboards but they are present and very much in use in the nicer weather.....

See each thing I mention goes back to the fact that the parent must be continually involved in all areas that their children venture in this life.

Oh well I have rambled enough and not really added anything to this thread.....

Next case!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Manwhore

OMG BIBI... Don't say those two words!!

A lot of great things have been spoken here already so I am not sure I can add anything new. I wholeheartedly believe that in the US we have, for the most part, an overzealous campaign to stifle knowledge of sexuality, yet you will fiind copious amounts of sexuality in advertising. *head spins*

So... as a parent I think the most important thing is open communication with children. Children are generally smarter and more aware than they are given credit and I believe that if you make it clear to them it's ok to even say the word 'sex'... well, I think they are more likely to think about it, and discuss it, rather than it being something that their parents won't talk about so they better find out for themselves.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 02-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Made in England

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
OMG BIBI... Don't say those two words!!

awwww...what's the matter? Does it conjure up a bad time in your life? lol

ok...how about???

"Nice ass" :devilish:
Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM
Manwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI
awwww...what's the matter? Does it conjure up a bad time in your life? lol

ok...how about???

"Nice ass" :devilish:

No, it conjures up a bad time for the whole site! lol

'Nice ass', however, always conjures up good things. (Like hard-ons)

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 02-03-2005, 05:30 PM

I'll probably get a blast from some, but . . . .

Children need to learn the ground rules of their society. These are the things which

are expected of them by the moderate mainstream of their community.

They need to know where the boundaries are so they can run back within these

boundaries if crossing the line turns bad.

They need to know the limits the far right want to impose, so they can understand

the threat posed by these people.

They need to know the limits the anarchic left want followed, so the child can understand

the futility of utopian dreams.

Understanding is the key.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:42 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
not from me, of...

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 02-05-2005, 11:35 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
No, it conjures up a bad time for the whole site! lol

Oh! I remember HER!!!!!

/me breathes a sigh of relief that we saw that one go...and quickly.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney