User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
so.....i bought some plantains

now what?

they are still green and i guess i have to wait til they are yellow to cook? (the store recommended that i choose ones that weren't bruised or gouged and the only ones that weren't were green *shrug*)

bigbad had them once, served at breakfast, mashed with spices (he thinks) and he'd love to have 'em that way again.

anyone have a good way to prepare them? breakfast recipes would be especially appreciated but i'd like to learn about any.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Toot tootin' Toronto yet again! It's the most multicultural city in the world & I live in a heavily-populated West Indian area so plantains are everywhere. My Guyanese friend swears by this one (he usually eats it for supper but figures the bacon makes it a brekkie food):

PLANTAIN MASH

Serves 6.
4 semi- ripe plantains (pintones) not too ripe, yellow with only a few black flecks
1 teaspoon salt
5 slices thick-sliced bacon, cut in thin strips
2 tablespoon lard or oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
Cooking Directions
Cut the semi-ripe plantains in several pieces, place in a pot and cover with water. Add salt and boil until plantains are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain, allow to cool slightly, and peel. Press the plantains through a potato ricer or vegetable mill, or mash very well with a fork to make a smooth puree.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet at low heat until it is cooked by not crisp.

Drain and reserve the bacon, discard the bacon fat (or save for another use).

In that same skillet heat 2 tablespoons of lard or oil over medium heat; add the minced garlic and stir. Before the garlic begins to color, add the plantain mash and the reserved bacon. Using a wooden spoon, stir to mix well.

(I've had so many neighbours swear that they're better than mashed potatoes but haven't tried them myself. I will! Thanks for the inspiration, wyndhy!)
Old 07-09-2005, 10:16 PM
~getting by~

I've had them as a mashed potato replacement at Texas de Brazil (A Brazilian Steakhouse) ... they are quite tasty, just a bit sweet, I'd consider them nearly a dessert.

Here's a site that has interesting info about "ripeness"

http://www.elboricua.com/platanos.html
Old 07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
~getting by~

Old 07-09-2005, 10:25 PM
pixie of the wood

yw, steph
and thank you...both of you. maddy that first link was very informative..i loved it! ty!

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
we eat them fried here

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
pixie of the wood

makin' 'em tonight...goin' with mashed potato style and i'll throw in some garlic and parsley or other herbs, perhaps.

i also made a few cups of uncle ben's this afetrnoon, just in case

Old 07-14-2005, 04:45 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
smart lady

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 PM
pixie of the wood

LOL.....you said a mouthfull

they were aweful! my fault though. i boiled em...like most recipes called for--till they were soft on the outside and slightly firm inside--but i guess it just wasn't long enough. the taste was great, the texture was a gagger. i am not beaten ...we'll try 'em again someday....maybe fried like lil does or i'll just boil the crap out of 'em and try mashed again.

ya win some, ya lose some.