Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2005, 07:53 PM

Computer 911...

I know this probably should go in the "General Chat" forum, but I imagine there are more viewers to this forum.

For those who are computer savvy, I have a question. I think the motherboard on my computer is shot (obviously not the one I'm using now). Recently separating (on my way to a divorce), I am in the process of moving. I packed my computer up about 2 months ago. I had it tightly packed in a box with cushioning. I never dropped it, excessively shook it, or allowed it to get wet. However, when I set it up this afternoon and attempted to turn it on it would not boot up. It had power in-so-far as the light turned on and all it would do is "beep." All other components seemed to be functioning fine...monitor...speakers...remote mouse! Just the CPU would do nothing but "beep!" Is this the motherboard, or some other problem. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Suprise Me

I would check to see if everything is plugged into the motherboard correctly...sometimes even a slight jibble can shake things loose..

Old 07-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Missing the Angels

Yup^^^^^ my processor is very touchy. the slightest movement and it don't work.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Missing the Angels

Oh...and don't leave a floppy in it either when ya shut it down...
Old 07-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Pisses me off...its less than 2 years old. Cheyanne, I do intend to crack the case to check the connections, but have not as of yet! I can only hope I can solve the problem myself. Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Prince of Pervs

Hi divot109 the answer is in the beeps. When you turn the computer on it performs a "POST" Power On Self Test, the system checks to see if everything is there, if not then it beeps a warning code to let you know something isn't right. For example if it goes beep, pause, beep, pause, beep.........and continues until you power it off again then the system is indicating that it did not find any memory during the POST. As suggested check that everything is seated correctly onto the motherboard, if that doesn't work let me know the beep pattern and I should be able to tell you where the fault is.

Hope that helps!

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Sarcasm: It's not big and it's not clever...........but it's funny as fuck!

The Special One!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Suprise Me

Please check it before you turn it on again....

Old 07-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Cheyanne, I definitely will check it before I power it on again...and FP, you are exactly correct.....it has a fairly long "beep" (about a second or so long) then pauses for a good five seconds or so, then "beeps" again and just contiunes with this pattern until I turn it off. I will crack the case to look inside this morning, then I'll let you know!!! Thanks for the info...All of you concerned Pixies are AWESOME!!!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Wow........

Just when I envisioned my computer taking a one-way non-stop flight through the window, you GREAT people came through for me!!! It was simply a loose connection in the case, and it now works fine! FP, you were right on the mark. Thank all of you for your insight!
Old 07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Mr Lizzardbits

OK sounds like the graphics card to me.

Best bet is to unplug everything from the motherboard and i mean everything and then plug it in in the following order

CPU, RAM, PSU.....power on and check you should get some sort of beep with this. Remember the pattern for the following..
Next add the graphics card, you should get the same pattern of beeps as the one above. If you do then your graphics card is shot time to replace,
next add the sound and check
Drives next

Remember to power off before adding anything,

Hope this helps if you need anymore advice feel free to IM me.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:10 PM

Thanks mayhem...

I appreciate the input, but I did fix the problem...a cable had come loose inside the case. I took it apa, found the unplugged cable & it now works fine!!!