Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 06:59 AM
I make sexytime with you

Unhappy Expectations

Ever feel like you'd done nothing to justify the expectations people had for you? Ever been afraid people had built an image of you that you didn't feel you were living up to?
I want to do something that matters
Old 05-24-2004, 07:13 AM
gurly gurl

Yes, Just about every day. People on here probably think I am a walking sex machine,,,,in real life, I love to have sex but would never just go up to some guy and start flirting with him or talk sex. I would be too embarrassed. So, yes, I am definately just a tease and I like it.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:51 PM

Yep i've felt like that!!
The point is sweety you cant always try to do something about it, people see in people what they want or what they dont want to see, expectations are just a little part of all the thoughts they built upon us, Think about it, sometimes they have great expectations and that makes us happy, sometimes they just missunderstand or they just thought of something stupid, i think it happens to all of us and i think we all pretty much do it at some point. cheer up!! who ever expects something from you that is not even close to what you are will only get dissapointed, you might too but i am sure eventually those who get to know you will realize they need to change those expectations.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Stiff Member

Re: Expectations

Quote:
Originally posted by Belial
Ever feel like you'd done nothing to justify the expectations people had for you? Ever been afraid people had built an image of you that you didn't feel you were living up to?

I'm sure it happens all the time. People in here are pretyy free wheeling and may project images they don't care to live up to. I never quite meet what people think of me. Not necessarily living up to but rather just somewhat different than expected. Isn't it true for you all?

I can't get through to her 'cause it doesn't permit
But I'm gonna give her everything I've got to give.

I hear your sweet voice calling
out my name
As I stare from a six foot cell
And from beyond I heard the words
Deceptively Yours
Old 05-25-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

I didn't take the thread to be about Pixies. I was thinking of working on self-improvement which usually takes enough time so you don't care what others think of you.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Nurse Ratchet Graduate

Send a message via MSN to flutelady
Expectations are things I would love to be able to eliminate from my life. Unfortunately, they're part of the human condition. Would be nice to do away with them, there would be alot less hurt and disappointment.

It's no trick loving somebody at their best. Love is loving them at their worst.
~Tom Stoppard~

It isn't premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married.
~George Burns~

As bad as I am, I'm proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem.
~A. DiFranco~
Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

Belial honey,

I've often suffered from this, particularly when it comes to memebers of my family. I think the problem is that people close to you can often see your potential and build expectations based on that.

Unfortunately, what they don't see is that in order to live up to that potential and fulfill those expectations, you have to want to do it, and often people aren't willing to sacrifice other aspects of our lives (such as love, friendship, sex, and fun) in order to make those dreams come true.

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 05-26-2004, 08:13 AM
I make sexytime with you

Thanks for the responses so far.

What I meant was that people think of me as having certain skills or abilities, etc, which I don't believe I have to the extent that they seem to think I have, and for that I feel like a fraud. I guess it's a case of knowing enough to know I know nothing in certain areas.
I want to do something that matters
Old 05-27-2004, 12:56 AM
Carpe diem

Belial, you must be coming across pretty good to people for them to feel you're so capable...and in fact, you probably are very capable. There are always things other people think we know or can do, that we really don't and other things we wished we knew or could do but can't. That doesn't make you a fraud, just a normal person. The good thing is that you realize that you don't know everything...and if it's important, you'll learn it; if it isn't imporant, so what--don't sweat it!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:23 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Quote:
Originally posted by Steph
I didn't take the thread to be about Pixies. I was thinking of working on self-improvement ...
Now THAT sounds like a CAN'T-MISS todo for today.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 05-27-2004, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Quote:
Originally posted by Loulabelle
Belial honey,

I've often suffered from this, particularly when it comes to memebers of my family. I think the problem is that people close to you can often see your potential and build expectations based on that.

Unfortunately, what they don't see is that in order to live up to that potential and fulfill those expectations, you have to want to do it, and often people aren't willing to sacrifice other aspects of our lives (such as love, friendship, sex, and fun) in order to make those dreams come true.

I agree!Unfortunately,if you are a perfectionist(like me),things are
never good enough for you,because you think that(with time) you
could do it better! Irish
Old 05-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Grouch

Of course, why do you think I am so distruaght that I am unable to support myself much less be an actual contributing member of society and making tons of money while I am at it?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:20 PM
is not this trim anymore!

Quote:
people think of me as having certain skills or abilities

So you can't leap tall buildings in a single bound? You may wanna scratch that big red S off your chest.

Believe me Belial, I'm used to it too. My parents ask me to do all kinds of crap that I'm not really qualified to do. Most recently, they asked me to run a new circuit from their circuit breaker box to feed the electric outlets they want me to install in their new home office. WTF? Ummm, just who do you think you gave birth to? I'm just a dumbass, you know! I know...I could figure it out and it'd probably work fine. But there's damn little room for error! They'd burn the friggin house down and it'd be blamed on my "not quite code" wiring! ha ha

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Rollercoasters ROCK!!!!!!

i feel that way way too often...

..............and i'm with Irish my own expectations are so hi that i am a constantly failing perfectionist who just knows that if only she'd try just a bit harder she would achieve it
it's a vicious thing to do to yourself and i have to remind me that i'm just another one of the human beans lol take care and pay attention to your heart for it's rarely wrong when you follow what your heart tells you to do you can bet on the rightness that is.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Me

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far.

What I meant was that people think of me as having certain skills or abilities, etc, which I don't believe I have to the extent that they seem to think I have, and for that I feel like a fraud. I guess it's a case of knowing enough to know I know nothing in certain areas.

As usual, the root is self-esteem, and perception is the source of conflict. You do not see what others see. You seem to be giving yourself a low letter grade on a Yes/No or True/False test. "People think of me as having certain skills or abilities, etc..." (True) "...which I don't believe I have to the extent that they seem to think I have..." (Letter Grade = C, maybe D) For example, when someways says, "You did good on that," do you think or is your reply something like, "I could have done better," or "Thank you, but I should have done it quicker."
Also, much of what you originally said is not diamond-cut truth; it is assumptional. Look at how often you use waffle phrases like 'I don't believe, they seem to think, and I feel like. This is clearly a difference of perception, not of fact. Therefore, you can not be a fraud. You do have what others say you have; you just don't see youself as using it well enough. Hence the low grade.
Somewhere in your life, probably early on, your were taught either directly or indirectly that you are either never good enough always or not good enough often. The saving grace here is that you do know you are good.
Damn, I need to stop jabbering so much. One final thought though: You are probably fantastic, wonderful, excellent, stupendous, etc. You just don't see it, which, by the way, reflects the positive quality of humility.

Hoping I didn't say too much, the wrong thing, or at an inappropriate place,
Larry