Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 03:24 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
How many guys "do it" for themselves?

Bet you're wondering, "Why isn't this in the Sex Talk forum?"

'cos I'm talking about IRONING is why!!

I got to thinking about this as I stood ironing my shirt for work just now..... how many of you guys do your own? And, if you do, is it due to a military background, like me, or is it something you've just always done? (same thing for trousers, to!!)

Ladies, naturally, feel free to comment on your man's skills in this area..... be interesting to hear the womans point of view!!

DM
I only own my mind
Old 11-03-2003, 03:44 AM

dm383,

Sure do. When our children were still infants, my wife and I decided to reduce the vividness of gender roles, so we began to pass household chores between us on a monthly basis. One month I'd do the food prep and ironing and she would do the sweeping out in front of the house and washing and drying the laundery. Then the next month we'd swap.

As children seem to take as normal whatever behavior is common as they grow up, the idea (hope) was that Jenny and Jack would be less inclined to assume that such and such was a boy's responsability and this or that is a girl's job.

As they grew up, we introduced them into the routine, saving cooking for last.

So yeah, that's a long way of saying that I've been doing the ironing on and off for many years now. This month is my month to sweep out front of the house.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Scottish Angel

I find it a refreshing change to be living with a man who isn't afraid of the iron or the ironing board!
I refused to let my ex~hubby anywhere near the "laundry" because he ruined sooooooooooo many things! (can't help thinking it was his way of getting out of helping tho!!!!)
Old 11-03-2003, 04:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ScottWaz
I dont mind laundry....... it has to be done......its not just for the ladies.....who cares!!! swallow your society-induced pride and do some of it.....its no big deal !! just my 2c...........
Old 11-03-2003, 05:44 AM
~~Kinky Bitch~~

Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1979
jeeping does the ironing round here LOL i end up screwin stuff up im horrible w it. jeeping is military so he has to have his uniforms a certian way and ill just beg and plead for him to do mine as well

~nikki~
Old 11-03-2003, 08:44 AM
here and there

I don't have any problems with doing laundry, that just needs to be done... but this "ironing" thing you speak off... I am sorry to be ignorant. I'll need to look that up.

Quote:
Main Entry: iron·ing
Function: noun
1 : the action or process of smoothing or pressing with or as if with a heated iron
2 : clothes ironed or to be ironed

Ah, OK... no I don't do that But, most (all) of the clothes that I wear do not ineed to be ironed if you get them on a hanger soon after drying. For the suit (singular), it goes to the dry cleaner. For the dress shirts and "nice" pants, wrinkle free is the only way to go
Old 11-03-2003, 10:16 AM
is not this trim anymore!

I just had this conversation!

As far as laundry goes, whoever enters the cellar, for whatever reason, has the moral obligation to see what laundry needs to be done and do something about it. Not a good arrangement for someone with no short term memory. Many an afternoon has been spent with me doing three or four loads of laundry and STILL not coming upstairs with what I originally went looking for.

Ironing? That's my job. Not because I'm such a wonderful guy that doesn't wish to burden my wife with the task of ironing, but because I wear suits and I need decent looking shirts. So I iron. And because I'm good at it, well, I'll do her stuff too. ha ha But I refuse to iron my apron! That's where I draw the line. Well, unless company is coming over and I have to cook. I can't let them see me in a wrinkly apron, right?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:31 AM

Absolutely! I wouldn't let my wife near my clothes with an iron, haha! Seriously, I do a much better job. Actually we split all of the domestic stuff up equally. I'll do my laundry with my sons, she covers hers and our daughters, etc....
RE: Gender roles. What gender roles? Any guy who is still playing the " it's womens work " card is way behind the curve, IMO
Old 11-03-2003, 11:53 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
irons and vacuums are power tools

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 11-03-2003, 02:00 PM
~~Smokin'~~

Send a message via Yahoo to paprclphd
I didn't know that men could iron - why didn't someone tell me!?!

Of course, I would prefer to do the laundry. My man's idea of laundry is everything in the washing machine, lots of soap, hot water, and then everything in the dryer. The first time we did laundry together I almost had a heart attack - he just looked at me puzzled because he had no idea that there was a more proper way to do it. He had obviously never owned a red piece of clothing before.

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Just me.

My wife generally does the washing and ironing although I have done some. In the last year or so, one of our sons has done almost all of the clothes washing which has been a real blessing to both my wife and I. Got some pretty good kids. Figure they must take after my wife.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Suprise Me

**Pulls a blouse/shirt out of the closet.....hmmmmmmmm kinda wrinkled cause it was "smashed" in between other clothes hanging..... <<takes a moment to ponder>> Remembers the new hand held steamer unit that is used to clean carpet... hmmmmmmmm no.. don't think so.... grabs a clean wash cloth from the linen closet.. dampens it with "hot" water.. heads to the dryer.... places wash clothe and wrinkled item into the dryer and turns the knob to permanent press... 20 minutes later.. NO WRINKLES!!!***

Now, if you are looking for that crispy look.. well, the iron is in the closet

Old 11-04-2003, 06:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
Did my own for years, well I spent 9 years in the airforce, now I am on my own it is no big chore and I dont moan to all and sundry about it lol.

I did not do it in my marriage, my wife did not go out to work and I looked after the outside, grew the vegetables and still washed up the evening pots, so I reckon I did my share.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Everybody Stretch!

LMFAO@Cheyanne! ^5 sister friend!

Hubby+iron makes for very agitated wifey! Here's the scenario..........

Hubby..."Honey (from the cellar), where's the iron"?

Me..."On the ironing board (under my breath....."Duh...where would you be if you were an iron"?)"

Hubby..."Does it need more water in it"?

Me..."Only if you want steam"!

Hubby..."Well, how do I know if I want steam"?

Me..."What are you ironing"?

Hubby..."I"ve got to get this collar on my flannel shirt to NOT stick up"!

Me..."Steam it"!

Hubby..."How much water do I add"?

Me..."You want me to iron your shirt....don't you"!

Hubby..."Could you please"?

Me..."Why didn't you just ask me instead of the test"? (under my breath..."Get the fuck outta my way you moron and don't come near me when I have a hot iron in my hand"!!!!!!!!)

I just love that somnabitch!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Banned

LOL Lixy! I just don't answer when such questions are thrown my way!

Best thread title ever, by the way, dm!