Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 10:33 AM
~getting by~

Pixies on the Move

I just realized that we sure have a lot of Pixies making big moves in 2005... osuche, sodaklostsoul, IAKG, me, and I think I've heard mention of a few more. The amazing thing is most that I have mentioned have been to be closer to the one they love... well maybe I'll be lucky enough to find one I love when I arrive, time will tell.

Have you ever moved across several states, and what hints and tips, fun anecdotes do you have to share about the move?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:40 AM
~*Geeky Girl*~

<----sits back and waits anxiously.

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author

Old 07-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

I've moved provinces more times than I want to count. DB's link to the Murphy's Law of moving is sadly very true!

I used to leave the kitchen until last but man, it's amazing how many boxes you end up needing for the dishes, pots, pans, etc.

I suggest packing up almost everything in the kitchen asap. You know you're going to be too busy to cook anyway!

It is stressful but remember - people move across the country every day & you can do it! You'll be damn glad when it's over, though!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 PM
~getting by~

I've been fortunate enough to have both of my cross country moves funded by someone other than me... I've watched two sets of professional packers pack all my belongings and I've managed to learn a few things ... lots of small boxes are easier to manage. And if they happen to be standard same sized boxes they fit into a trailer or moving truck much easier. I also learned that they don't believe in bubble wrap but rather LOTS of packing (non printed newspaper in large sheets) paper. They crumple up a few sheets in the bottom of a box and then fill it and put a few more crumpled sheets on the top before sealing it. And they go through a TON of it when packing up a kitchen. It will cost a little, but I found it to be worthwhile when I did a move on my own in the middle of the two professional moves to acquire a large collection of true moving boxes, and packing paper. The little bit of expense is well worth it. Look up "moving boxes" on the web and you might be shocked at how cheaply you can buy boxes.

Being organized and having a plan goes a long way. Because I've had other people packing my things I haven't had the luxury of purging as I packed. Rather I took the time to go through all the closets before hand and "organize" them, throwing things or donating them as I go. Then when you go back to pack it's already organized and you can just fill boxes.

It's damn stressful! I thought this move would be a breeze since I made a similar move three years prior and I had experience on my side. The small things still build up and drive you to the edge of insanity until you reach the calm right before the move and realize that everything is complete.

And Steph is absolutely correct about the kitchen... I haven't cooked in at least three months... partially because my house was in a state of renovation, and then afterward it was being shown and I didn't want any "offensive" food smells, then I moved out and am in a temporary living situation. Stop shopping and use up all the food you can. Frozen and refrigerated food doesn't travel well. And opened food is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Loungin' Around

Do *not* bring those half-filled bottles of shampoo and soaps. No matter how much your sense of thrift and/or sentimentality beg you to do it. Even if you double bag them and put tape on the tops.....you will STILL have an ooey gooey mess. "taint worth it, I say. :P

Be nice to your movers. Say please and thank you, and tip them big. They will reward you by taking extra care.

Don't try to unpack *all* the boxes in one day...take it from someone who knows. you will get tired and sloppy, and make mistakes.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 07-10-2005, 12:37 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Could you get paper roll ends from your local newspaper?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-10-2005, 01:36 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

The suggestion of similar size boxes is a good one. I've also found, through several moves and not *immediate* unpacking that plastic totes work *very* well--and you don't have to worry so much about boxes being crushed, etc.

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author

Old 07-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Well I've got a variation on the problem....we're moving from England to Boston at the end of the month, so we can't take everything. Hell, we can barely take anything. We literally just took 18 shopping bags of books to the Oxfam drop, and it nearly broke my boy's heart to give up so many. Basically, we're turning up to an empty apartment with the contents of 4 suitcases, and we've got a week to get it liveable before he (and the car) disappear for 2 months.

I'm absolutely flipping terrified....I mean, I'm thrilled to be moving back to the states. But it's a new job in a strange city...all of which I can handle...it's getting the apartment set up that freaks me out. Any tips?
Old 07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
While it seems feasible to start small I once heard the #1 set/decorating mistake most people make whe moving somewhere new is that they start with a bathroom first, it's smaller space, cheaper, less choices to make. Problem is then yu end up designing the rest of the space to match a bathroom

Also on one move I packed a suitcase with 2 towels, 2 washcloths, 2 plates, 2 sets of silver etc. Just some basics til the rest came.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

GingerV, I think you'll find it's amazing that you can do without a lot for a while. Heck, it's kind of fun to eat take-out sitting on the floor.

I'm a member of freecycle.org and people offer furniture almost every day. It's a good way to pick up things for free but I'm still in the college decorating stage (I've moved past milk crates but not by much).

Freecycle is a way for people to recycle and they can give away things to people who need/want items. There are mailing lists all over the States and Canada. I just picked up a toaster oven from another member.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:44 PM

I've been getting ready to give away all sorts of stuff on the Freecycle here....we almost unloaded our poor, long suffering car that way (it runs, but that's ALL that can be said for it...still, shame to scrap it). It never occured to me that I should check it to FIND stuff once I get there.

I'm just plain dim sometimes. Thanks Steph!
Old 07-10-2005, 04:07 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

Excellent idea on the suitcase, Lil. Would definitely save some panic later on.

Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Awesome on my Own

well, i kinda moved to the UK for 48 days....does that count, LOL

My job now is to get things settled with what college i am going to next and/or settling dowm on the family farm and getting a home ready for when Mayhem and his cats move from the UK to Iowa. If i had my way and didn't have All the 592948769847500268 forms to fill out and i's to dot and t's to cross and filled out in triplicate, yadda yadda yadda, Mayhem would be moving with me to my cornfield when i return to the states next week. but alas, it won't be for many many many months or a year or more....that thought makes me want to cry, that loooong with out my Mayhem.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 AM
Just me.

Hope everyone moving has a safe and wonderful experience and whereever you move to, for whatever reason ... it'll work out beautifully!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:54 AM
~getting by~

To add to lil's suitcase of 2's. I'd also suggest packing the shower curtain ... nothing refreshes a person after an exhausting move like a good shower! When I made the move to Texas, I drove and had more flexibility and packed my "shower things" and "cleaning things" so that I could get the apartment all cleaned before my things arrived - including all the shelf liner in place.