Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Transitions : Douglas Engelbart

Douglas Engelbart, a technologist who conceived of the computer mouse and laid out a vision of an internet decades before others brought those ideas to the mass market, has died.

Mr Engelbart had suffered from poor health and died peacefully in his sleep, his daughter Christina told friends in an email. He was 88.

Mr Engelbart arrived at his crowning moment relatively early in his career, on a winter afternoon in 1968, when he delivered an hour-long presentation containing so many far-reaching ideas that it would be referred to decades later as the "mother of all demos".

Speaking before an audience of 1,000 leading technologists in San Francisco, Mr Engelbart, a computer scientist at the Stanford Research Institute, showed off a cubic device with two rolling discs called an "X-Y position indicator for a display system".

It was the mouse's public debut.

Mr Engelbart then summoned, in real-time, the image and voice of a colleague nearly 50 kilometres away.

That was the first video conference.

He also explained a theory of how pages of information could be tied together using text-based links, an idea that would later form the bedrock of the internet's architecture.

At a time when computing was largely pursued by government researchers or hobbyists with a countercultural bent, Mr Engelbart never sought or enjoyed the explosive wealth that would later become synonymous with Silicon Valley success.

He never received any royalties for the mouse, for instance, which SRI patented and later licensed to Apple Computer.

By 2000, Mr Engelbart had won prestigious accolades including the National Medal of Technology and the Turing Award.

He lived in comfort in Atherton, a leafy suburb near Stanford University.

At the same time, he wrestled with his fade into obscurity even as technology entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates built fortunes off of the personal computer and became celebrity billionaires by realizing some of his early ideas.

In 2005, he told Tom Foremski, a technology journalist, that he felt the last two decades of his life had been a "failure" because he could not receive funding for his research or "engage anybody in a dialogue".

Douglas Carl Engelbart was born on January 30, 1925 in Portland to a radio repairman father and a homemaker mother.

He enrolled at Oregon State University, but was drafted into the US Navy and shipped to the Pacific before he could graduate.

He resolved to change the world as a computer scientist after coming across a 1945 article by Vannevar Bush, the head of the US Office of Scientific Research, while scouring a Red Cross library in a native hut in the Philippines, he told an interviewer years later.

After returning to the US to complete his degree, Mr Engelbart took a teaching position at the University of California, Berkeley, after Stanford declined to hire him because his research seemed too removed from practical applications.

He took a job at SRI in 1957, and by the early-1960s Mr Engelbart led a team which had begun to seriously investigate tools for interactive computing.

After coming back from a computer graphics conference in 1961, Mr Engelbart sketched a design and tasked Bill English, an engineering colleague, to carve a prototype out of wood.

Mr Engelbart's team considered other designs, including a device that would be affixed to the underside of a table and controlled by the knee, but the desktop mouse won out.

SRI would later license the technology for $40,000 to Apple, which released the first commercial mouse with its Lisa computer in 1983.

By the late 1970s, Mr Engelbart's research group was acquired by a company called Tymshare, and he struggled to secure funding for his work or return to the same heights of influence.

In his later years he founded a management seminar program called the Bootstrap Institute with his daughter Christina.

He is survived by Karen O'Leary Engelbart, his second wife, and four children: Gerda, Diana, Christina and Norman. His wife Ballard died in 1997.

Reuters
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
The man responsible for peeps being able to wank and use the computer simultaneously!

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

He definitely will be missed.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 PM

A very important contributor! R.I.P. Mr. Engelbart.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
The man responsible for peeps being able to wank and use the computer simultaneously!

I agree. And I was waiting anxiously for his next breakthrough ... the "Willy Wanker and Pussy Pulsator ... which would do wanking/stimulating for you while you watched ... ahem ... movies on your monitor or screen.

Seriously, RIP Douglas Engelbart.