Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 02:30 AM
Loungin' Around

Hip Replacement

MY mom just told me she has to have one, sometime in the next 6 months. Now we're beginning the process of researching the operation and such and I wanted to see if there are any Pixies experts on this subject. Please feel free to take this to PM with me if you feel uncomfortable with a public discussion.

My questions:
* Anyone ever had one? If yes, what did oyu wish you knew before hand?
* How do you research good doctors and their success rates?
* What's the true recovery time?
* How important is physical therapy and how do you find a good therapist?
* Did your therapist come to your home, or did you go to them?
* Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. She's my mom and I worry about her. Plus, it's quite possible that she may come to San Francisco to have the surgery, given that I am her best support system. So I better be an expert!

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-07-2007, 03:49 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

(((((((Osuche))))))))

My ex-step-father had one a few years back (in his early 50's - eek!) because he broke his but I'm afraid I don't know that much of the detail. I do know that he was mobile again within a couple or few weeks, but I think there are a lot of individual circumstances to take into account e.g. general fitness of patient, pre-existing conditions (lots of them in my step-father's case, including osteoporosis and an absent pituitary gland thanks to a tumour on it some years before).

I imagine there are support groups in the States that can provide more detailed information as anything I could provide this end would pertain to treatment in the UK.

Hope all goes well, and keep us posted on your Mom's progress - must be pretty draining on your resources too, so if we can be of any help, don't hesitate to call on us for support. xxx

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 03-07-2007, 05:52 AM
Everybody Stretch!

(((((osuche)))))

A friend of mine had one a few years back. He's rather young too. He injured his hip several years ago and it never healed right. He damamged it more by not getting the right treatment due to a law suit settlement that took much longer than it should have. Eventually, after every other recourse was tried, he had to have a replacement. He was only 36 at the time.

Like Lou, I don't know all too many details but I'll give you what I know.

He stayed in the hospital for a week. When he came home he had a therapist assigned to him and she came over once a day for 6 weeks. He was mobile, but limited (stiff), by week 2. He limped severely for about 8-12 weeks and then we noticed his limp subsiding. Initially, on a scale of 1-10, he said the pain from the surgery was a 12. Pardon this statement, but he's a guy and so of course the pain was a 12...LOL!

After a year he was walking as if he never had surgery and he says he didn't have much pain, if any at all, thereafter.

I'll keep you and your mom in my thoughts! I'm sending healthy and healing vibes your way!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 03-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Just me.

Osuche, I don't have the experience although I know some people that have had the surgery and they seem to be doing pretty good.

Mainly, I wanted to tell you that your mom will certainly be in our prayers along with you and yours. God bless and keep us posted.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Loungin' Around

(((((Lixy)))))) ((((((((((DB))))))))) and (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Lou)))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you for the warmth and support! Have I told you lately that you guys are great?

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-07-2007, 12:47 PM

one data point

We had a family friend who had both hips replaced at once. In hind sight he would say it was too both to do at once. The recovery was almost 6 months. He was in a lot of pain for a couple of months.

Big picture this is a major opporation with an extend recovery. The good news is this seems to be an increasing common medical procedure. Perhaps see if you can get your mom some help and or visit during the initial recovery.

Good luck and good wishes to your mom!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Leo was right

I am so, so very sorry to read about this osuche. I know how much worry her health has caused you and I just want you to know I wish both her and you nothing but the best.

If there is any way at all I can help PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. You have been there for me these last few months and put up with my petty whining and complaining and I'll do anything I can to even partially repay the favor. You know how to get hold of me sweetie.

((((((((((Mama Osuche))))))))))))
((((((((((Osuche))))))))))))

No love, no friendship, can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever. ~~ Francois Mocuriac

Confucius say, "He who masturbate into cash register come into money."

An optimist looks at the glass and says it's half full. A pessimist looks at the glass and says it's half empty. A Cubs fan looks at the glass and says, "When's it gonna spill?"

Deus Impetitio Esuritori Nullus
Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM

osuche,

The last time we had someone stay with us for an extended period was late last year when my brother in law had his shoulder replaced. Something I noticed with him, and which you may need to be sensitive to with your mother, is that he wanted to “put it to use” sooner than was recommended.

If her operation replaces the original joint with a steel and Teflon one as did BIL’s, then there is an initial recuperative period during which, while the bone grows around the pins which anchor the ends of the prosthetic, the new joint is delicate. If too much weight is placed upon the joint, the prosthetic can separate from the bone(s) in which it is embedded.

In BIL’s situation the recommended maximum weight for the fortnight following his release from hospital as 24 ounces. That is not much heavier than a full water glass. BIL wanted to resume normal use before he was supposed to, and Dearsweet had to repeatedly remind him that was AMA. I don’t want to extrapolate too far from his situation into your mom’s, as the prostheses, sex, age, etc. are different, but you may want to keep this in mind.

If she is confined to bed for any period, you might find it useful to provide internet access for her as a sedentary distraction. BIL enjoyed it while he was here.

Patience is a virtue.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:03 PM

Hip replacement is getting very common.

I assume your mum is older. They'll do a bone density test. If she has a lot of bone loss (long term calcuim trouble) it can bugger up the new hip thing.

If she is fairly old I recommend formal rehab in a rehab center. Have her stay for four weeks or so. The longer the better if you can find a good one. They'll put the hert on her to get her moving but it's worth it.

If she's in a lot of pain now she'll do well and in a few months she'll be glad she did it.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Missing the Angels

((((((((((((((((((osuche))))))))))))))))))

I don't know much about replacements, I just know mine like to get a catch in them once in awhile.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Loungin' Around

My mom is freaking out....but I know she'll make it through this OK.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and support!