Pixie's Resident Reptile

Mainstream attention

This could be good or bad...

http://www.newsweek.com/id/209164/page/1
Old 07-30-2009, 09:59 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
excellent!

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-30-2009, 02:05 PM

Let’s hope that it gains general acceptance!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

To obtain true general acceptance, with fairness, you're looking at a form of poly marriage and divorce, with settlements which could tear apart the family.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:43 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
or an end to marriage

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Goddess Of the night

Send a message via Yahoo to Rhiannon
funny there is an article about a second life romance and i play that game all the time
I love to dance with a stranger and to feel his delight,
And when the dancing is through, I kick off my shoes,
And I listen to the beating of his heart
Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Nor am I looking for this to become mainstream anytime soon. Still, perhaps it will become unremarkable in the fullness of time.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Naked and in Love

Great idea for consenting intelligent adults. But i do have qualms about how children fair if it doesn't work out or just falls apart. When divorce is so prevalent now and children are sometimes devastated losing one parent, what will they go through if they lose 2, 3, 4 or more? But again, for adults who realize and accept the situation, it sounds great. If nothing else, I hope it helps to make society more tolerant of non-mainstream lifestyles.

---kathy
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
It's a great idea for the ones who can handle multiple partners.Unlike the same sex marriage issue, I doubt there would ever be a need for polyamoury activism.There are no real social benifits driving it to succeed. It is probably best to keep it on the level it enjoys now.If you are inclined to do it,just do it. Keep reading LOVING MORE,which I'm going to google as soon as I am through writing this. Back in the 70s I dated Poly Amour and her sister Poly Ester But I refused to go out with their redneck cousin Poly Wannacracker.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Insatiable

Excellent post. I am very poly but would never express it to the degree stated in the article.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:38 PM

One wrong word and social geometry shows up, Poly Gone.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

^^^
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Sorry GG, it just had to be said.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
unregistered mutt. woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
To obtain true general acceptance, with fairness, you're looking at a form of poly marriage and divorce, with settlements which could tear apart the family.
Hmm . . Perhaps, as long as there seems to be a GOD there'll never be "fairness?"

I believe that much in the monogamous form of marriage that we witness these recent decades has been maligned by poorly wrought bonds of misinformed love which ends tragically or are suffered with terrible emotional upheaval within the individuals in those marriages. Many, many marriages are remaining true to the monogamous form through perseverance and open communication amongst the family that are enjoying the wedded bliss through the happy years they live together. YAYYYY! That's a very GOOD thing to have for the children to see and live and hopefully learn to share with others. Polyamorous marriages can endure and last long the same as monogamous marriages. The problems increase, multiplying exponentially with each new individual added to the poly household. Look at the way brothers and sisters and siblings in general fight. They then leave the central family unit without so much as a goodbye and find themselves wondering, years down the trail how things went so wrong. Mono & Poly marriages have that happen also, when cooler heads fail to prevail.
Adage: 2 things are certain in life; Death & Taxes. Therefore; God & Beelzebub had a meeting to fix the problem. A mighty storm prevailed for ages until finally they ended the storm with the agreement: From now on Anyone whom chooses doesn't have to die. "Everyone wins said Beelzebub. You get an eternally grateful bunch of worshippers praying forever for lower taxes as I goad & prod them forever with higher & higher taxation."
Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Causer of Unrest

I've got no beef with monogamy, if that's what floats your boat. I'm good with ethical polyamory as well. I do think that the monogamous paradigm probably ruins more relationships unnecessarily than polyamory does; if you've got to dump a good love for no reason other than there's someone else that speaks to your heart, how's that a good thing?

On a personal note, I think my life would've been considerably easier if polyamory were something that people could talk about openly in this society. As it is, my family has no idea I was widowed 3 years ago, and no conception (not that they could) of what that has done to me. And his family didn't know me at all until it was too late, because he didn't feel they would be able to handle that he was involved in a poly relationship. If we could've just been who we were without worrying about the politics of it, perhaps a lot of pain could've been avoided for a lot of people.

ETA: Regarding OldFart's comment about polyamory (and the failure thereoef) tearing apart the family, I have a good friend who is in the middle of his second divorce, in Texas, where women are favored in custody. His first wife keeps their daughter most of the time, and he hardly gets to see her. This breaks his heart. His second wife brought a child from another relationship, whom he raised for several years as his own, and they had 2 together. He will never see his stepchild from here on out, because she spends weekends with her birth father, and now he shares custody with his two children. This is the result of traditional, monogamous marriage(s) on the family. That is not a plug for poly, but rather just recognizing that monogamy alone is no defense against the forces that will tear a family apart.

My photo threads...

Latest: Cool April Morning

XXXII XXXIII XXXIV XXXV XXXVI XXXVII XXXVIII XXXIX

Stories
Thank You, Come Again / Robyn's Roommate / Seamus, Charlotte, and the Showgirl / God, It's Good to Be Queen

"I walk with my head held high and naked in the sun, claiming these streets for myself."--Jonatha Brooke