Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Starry-eyed Pixie

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaKyttn
Target Stores

Last night we were watching Whos Line is it Anyway...... and the 700 club came on afterwards and we couldn't find the remote.... hey we were all snuggled down in our bed! and they were going on about Target stores not allowing bell ringers (Salvation army with help for the homless/less fortunate etc) They were outraged that it was an ANTI christian thing when Target has a no solicitation policy that they waived for Salvation army in the past but since making that exception thay've had other non-profit ppl throw fits over not being allowed to hit ppl up for donations. They were calling a boycott on Target just because they're going back and saying "if we can't do it for everyone we won't do it for anyone."

Personally I'm on a shoestring, I give what I can when I can and when I see these people out begging for donations (representitives not the folks in need themselves) I run the other way. I went to catholic schools, I know about the knights of columbus sellin tootsie rolls, and I was a girl Scout...... but I avoid wal-mart during daylight (brfore midnight) hours just to stay away from having to fumble some "I'm poor too" excuse yeah I have a car and a house and pets and a job but if they knew how far up my ass I am in debt maybe they would give me that money instead.

I know this might upset some of the people in our pixie family but I just can't believe that the 700 club folks with their just so hair, brand new suits and grand lives they seem to live are telling us to boycott a store because they maintain their policies completely and fairly so no one is discriminted for or against.

as an aside

my girlfriend and I (yeah yeah lesbians) were having a fight earlier and I told her "Maybe we should find a religon you know the same one together" she said "what?" "You know join together under god to fight the evils of satan and homosexuality...."
End fight

Kyttn
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Huggable!

I have to agree with you Kyttn. Our local Stop & Shop has 2 entrances and they put 'bell ringers' and all the rest of 'em at one door. I find I use the other door most of the time just to avoid the collectors.

There are a few organizations I always give to but even then, if I make my donation early in the season I feel ackward walking by without giving anything all the times to follow. And if I say 'I already gave', it feels like they're thinking 'yeah sure ya did lady'.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:13 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I will not boycott a company that is fair and says all or none. What I will boycott is a company that says...we think you are worthy but you are not. I honestly believe that rules should be the same for everyone...maybe that's my Democratic equality streak showing but it's how I feel. I will not boycott Target because they do not allow solicitation, in fact I may only shop there. I will not boycott Disney because they host homosexual events there, in fact I may go more often. When someone tells me where to shop, what entertainment is proper, and who to vote for based on their religious agenda that is when they have overstepped their boundaries in my life.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
satisfactionisaguarantee

I'm not religious,but have learned (despite my support of science) that when I talk to people who are religious, that I have a lot of respect for them. I have tried to turn my thoughts of hate( yea it got to be like that at one point...long story) into a respect now that I've read into Buddhism more. While I like to sa I"m not religious, yoga can be a ver spiritual exercise and Buddhism at least helps you learn and teaches you how to respect everyone elses beliefs.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:24 AM
~a little bit naughty~

Well I am a Christian and I won't boycott Target either. Not that I shop there much anyway. I agree with Lilith that if the store has clear rules and wants to stick to them then that is their right. They can't be expected to pick and choose who is worthy to ask for money outside their doors.

You know many people have a big problem with Wal-Mart too and I have no intention of boycotting them ever either. I don't have that luxury on my income.

Owning Pita, by my JassWolf!!
My Story~ Friday Night Spanking
Old 11-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Loungin' Around

I am a bit torn about what to say on this issue. I am not particularly religious ~ I was raised Catholic and I am sure that scarred me for life ~ and I certainly wouldn't boycott a store because they applied a policy consistently. I *like* visiting Target (although I only do it about once every other month). I also happen to really dislike the bell-ringers.....I often don't carry cash and I resent that they make me feel guilty. I give to several causes in various ways ~ some money and some with time ~ and the Salvation Army is not on my short list.

Here's the BUT....

I tend to think that we in America are too complacent. Maybe it has something to do with being well-fed and having heat. Most of us don't pursue causes and "fight for what we believe in." I find many Americans to be politically and socially unaware....and I think that's a damn shame. So....I would never want to silence the voice of the 700 Club....or those who decided to boycott....in the hopes that the social awareness "bug" might infect those people and they would begin to become more active in their communities.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 11-21-2004, 12:14 PM
satisfactionisaguarantee

i do want to say though...that I do give to a lot of charities when I have the money (not just the environmental ones! hehe) and especially around this time I do..I try to push aside all my thoughts on religion except the respect I"m trying to establish..after all as Osuche said I have food and heat..ya know?
I've seen the hardships people can go through (having been to bad parts of Costa Rica, Nicaragua etc.) and dealt with people a lot worse off than myself....it really makes you think. This is why when there is some trivial issue going on I stop and say "you know...there are people living in cardboard boxes, and you're upset b/c....." it is harsh, but true! I truly believe Americans are sheltered by this, and since I am also American I feel I have the right to give my honest opinion. Amen to Osuche for her point of view, I couldn't have said it better!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Suprise Me

It makes me wonder how much the 700 Club as an organization donates to the Salvation Army? Do those individuals who represent the 700 Club as their voice donate? Questions that probably won't or can't be answered. I guess I really am not that curious... the only thing that bothers me is that they are using their "religious" right and opportunity of their "powers of persuasion" to influence how people think because they don't like the all or nothing policy of one company. Boycott the company they say!!!! Well, believe you me - there are plenty of bell ringers around at businesses that they shouldn't need to stand out in front of Target!!!! What is one store out of many????

I do know that it is difficult for me to walk by one of the bell ringers without tossing some change into the pot. But then, I remember some of the people I know who they have helped - the ones who drive much better cars than I do, the ones with big screen TV's and nary a worry about where their next meal is coming from as they are also on food stamps. Those who don't have to pray that their children do not get sick because they can't afford to take them to the doctor because they are on Title 19.

...........and I am able to just toss my change into the pot once and feel I have done my duty.

I know - the truly needy mostly outweight those who take advantage of the system - but instead of pushing to boycott a company why aren't they investigating how buisness is done on the other side?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- I guess this is one of my "hot button" issues...I apologize if I have offended anyone -

*Steps off the soap box for now and neatly places it back into the corner for others to use*

Old 11-21-2004, 12:21 PM
satisfactionisaguarantee

Cheyenne,
no it is great that we can be opinionated, I sure don't think you offended anyone, but if things are said tastefully and with good reason then it is only fair that is one of the greatest things about pixies, everyone is so open, I hope that never changes!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Loungin' Around

((((Chey)))) ~ I have stepped on that soapbox a number of times. And I agree with your perspective....I believe in a social safety net, but I also think that there is a "significant minority" of people who habitually use the system. And that bothers me too, becuase I pay a lot of taxes and work really hard so those people don't have to.

When I was growing up, my mom was a teacher ina school district where a woman's teaching salary was a "supplement to her husband's income." Of course, my mom and my dad were divorced and he couldn't afford to pay his $50/mo child support. So...we lived $500/year above the poverty line -- and often didn't have money to buy food at the end of the month -- because we didn't qualify for those programs. And I watched kids who *did* qualify have a much better life than we did. But we worked hard, and saved our pennies, and muddled through....as most good people do. I respect the hell out of my mom for that.

I try to have faith in the system. And I know what we have is better than *nothing.* But I also know that a lot of people take advantage. I guess that's the price we pay.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 11-21-2004, 01:34 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
I am a bit torn about what to say on this issue. I am not particularly religious ~ I was raised Catholic and I am sure that scarred me for life ~ and I certainly wouldn't boycott a store because they applied a policy consistently. I *like* visiting Target (although I only do it about once every other month). I also happen to really dislike the bell-ringers.....I often don't carry cash and I resent that they make me feel guilty. I give to several causes in various ways ~ some money and some with time ~ and the Salvation Army is not on my short list.

Here's the BUT....

I tend to think that we in America are too complacent. Maybe it has something to do with being well-fed and having heat. Most of us don't pursue causes and "fight for what we believe in." I find many Americans to be politically and socially unaware....and I think that's a damn shame. So....I would never want to silence the voice of the 700 Club....or those who decided to boycott....in the hopes that the social awareness "bug" might infect those people and they would begin to become more active in their communities.

You know I right after I posted I drove to Walmart because where else can I buy Thanksgiving for 6 on a student's budget, and was thinking along those very same lines, osuche.

I realize that some religions feel it is their responsibility to inform their parishoners of what is and is not acceptable moral and ethical choices per their doctrine. I respect that, if that is the way their parishoners like their religion. And I support their right to practice their faith in anyway they choose. I think for me it is important that I decide what is and is not right, what causes I will support, and what ideologies I will reject. I am glad I had some religious/spiritual training to help give me a base of morals and ethics but I as an adult will choose where those apply.

I always let my kids put a buck in the pot at some time during the season. It's planned and they know why they do it but personally there are many other organizations who I would prefer to give my $$ too. Ones I feel support my ideologies and express a statement about how I believe just by my being a part of them, such as Habitat for Humanity. I almost always buy gifts for a child on a local "giving tree" too. The children are usually orphans or wards of the state. The first year Mr. Lil and I were dating we did this at our work...selected two kids and we shopped together for those kids. It was a great way to get to know him and showed me where his heart was very early on in our relationship.

Some one should start a new thread about the volunteer and charities people most like to support....

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 11-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Booger Lama

the problem is the 700 club isn't realy about religion it all about power they just use religion as a means to the end. They just use something like this Target not letting the Salvation army i frount of their stores as a way to make noise and get then head lines. All they realy care about is line their own pocket they could realy care less if you give to the Salvation army.

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell
Old 11-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Starry-eyed Pixie

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaKyttn
oh and nother tangent they hit was "everyone has forgotten that jesus is the reason for the season.... all this season's greetings......." they think it should be merry christmas.... but what about those who don't celebrate christmas?okay I'm sorry but "christs birthday" was another way for christians to suppress the pagan rituals by forcing them to miss their Yule celebration to bow and scrape in church, honestly, the solstice is the reason for the season.....

check the fifth paragraph or so...

http://www.schoolofmagick.com/degre...and_customs.htm

Kyttn
(always stirring up trouble!)
Old 11-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Mama Mia!

Don't get offended...This is a little off topic and a rant

I rarely give to charities, I'm not religious, and I guess I'm going to hell lol

Nah, but seriously, I think that it's distasteful to stand outside stores and pester people for money. Yes, it's pestering. It's annoying and I think that people just give because they feel guilty if they don't. Using guilt to get someone to give money is like blackmail. Most people really don't care about the charity itself, how many of us think about it unless it's shoved in our faces? People come outside the store, the people are standing out there ringing a bell/holding signs etc and they expect you to give. That's why people do. I don't just for that reason. If I WANTED to give, I would make a private donation.

I'm not AT ALL against charities, in fact I favor (private) charities because they (sort of) decrease dependance on the government (which is another can of worms I'll not open here....Evil capitalist that I am). Every summer, a friend of mine organizes a list of needy school children whose parents cannot afford school supplies and fiance and I give EVERY year. This past August we spend nearly $200 just on school supplies for kids we don't even know. That is how charities should be run, tastefully and through private donors, not by peddling.

<<<Feels much better>>>

Now that I said that, I will not be boycotting target because of the 700 club. Target is certainly allowed to have a no solicitation policy, Wal-mart should adopt one.

It's a BOY!!
Old 11-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Everybody Stretch!

If they ever built a Target near me (I think the nearest one is over 25 miles away) I wouldn't boycott it for the reason the 700 Club is asking! But, because of what the 700 Club is doing...I'm gonna boycott the 700 Club!

Wait! I don't watch the 700 Club! Never mind...lmfao!

~Thomas Dewar~