User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 02:32 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Student bondage club makes comeback at ISU

By STACI HUPP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ames, Ia. - Jayme Howard spends his days at computer science class. At night, the Iowa State University freshman learns how to tie up and spank partners.

He gets his nighttime lessons from Cuffs, a campus club that teaches students about bondage and other sexual fetishes.

The club, after dissolving last year, is trying to make a comeback at ISU. Today, Cuffs leaders plan to ask the ISU student senate for $100 from the student fee fund, mostly to pay for promotion.

"It's always been interesting to me," said Howard, 18, who got involved in Cuffs after he met the club's president. "I'm learning more."

A Christian family advocate said Tuesday that the group shows a need for lessons in morality among ISU students.

"This is an alarm bell," said Chuck Hurley, president of the Iowa Family Policy Center in Pleasant Hill. Hurley says rape is vastly underreported on college campuses.

"I think for the university to condone this act in the light of the rape problem is like throwing gasoline on a destructive fire. It's just going to make it worse," he said.

The highlight of a Cuffs meeting this week was the film "Secretary," about an attorney and his assistant who find a common bond in masochism, or inflicting physical pain for pleasure.

Howard and a dozen other students watched it in a small room at the ISU Memorial Union. Instead of popcorn, they snacked on "S&M's": a mix of Skittles and M&M's candies.

Leaders hope membership will more than double for the next meeting, a how-to session that could involve paddles, leather, ropes and a fur-covered "flogger."

Clothes stay on at meetings, said Duane Long Jr., an ISU senior who is Cuffs' president and primary instructor.

"It's almost clinical," said Long, who also talks to ISU human sexuality classes. "You can show people without it being sexual."

ISU's 27,000 students will pay about $8.6 million in mandatory fees this year. About $1.5 million will go to campus clubs.

University officials and the Iowa Board of Regents don't monitor spending on student clubs.

"I have a high level of confidence in the ability of students to deal with these types of matters," said Regent Bob Downer of Iowa City. "It does strike me that this is a matter that is of a sufficiently unusual nature. It should be ascertained that there is no unlawful activity."

If Cuffs receives student money, it wouldn't be the first time. An ISU senior organized Cuffs in 2000. Long then was the group's treasurer.

Student senators initially denied the group money because they said some club meetings were closed to sexually inexperienced student members. The club opened meetings to all students and won $33 for the following year.

Student senators were divided over the club's worth to a college campus, said David Boike, who oversees the senate's books.

"Some people thought they actually provided a legitimate service and served the university community well and deserved money for it," said Boike, a senior from Dike.

Cuffs was the target of jokes, ridicule and letters to the student newspaper in its first year.

The fanfare on campus has died since, aside from the Cuffs posters that disappear within a day of their distribution across campus.

"To me, that's kind of what college is about, to be liberal and to do what they want to do," said Adam Bosman, an ISU sophomore from Madrid. "I think any club has the right to be here. It's not any different from the Hackey Sack Club and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance."

Cuffs dissolved last year when Long became too busy to organize meetings.

Cuffs already had qualified for more than $1,500 of student money, most of which would have been used to pay the members' admission costs to a leadership conference.

Long gave it all back, and the group lost its free office space in the Memorial Union.

The club also gets some money from dues, which pay for guest lecturers and field trips to home-improvement stores, where members have looked at rope, clamps and wooden dowels.

The club isn't all about sex talk, Long said. At least twice a year, guest lecturers have talked about preventing sexual assault and sexually transmitted diseases, he said.

Student senators, who decide who gets the club money and how much, are expected to give Cuffs an answer within a month.

Hurley urged student leaders to deny club financing.

"While the argument is made that this is consensual . . . sadism is disrespectful and masochism is self-disrespectful," Hurley said. "To fund something that is degrading or sexually violent can only lead to heartache."

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-02-2003, 02:33 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

It is obvious that I should have looked at that brochure from ISU more closely. I have made a serious enrollment error

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

~wipes a tear from her eye~

I'm so proud to be an Iowan!

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author

Old 10-02-2003, 02:43 PM
is not this trim anymore!

I think they should cut the funding to the Hackey Sack club and divert the money to this one. I mean, people are going to do a lot more with what they learn in the bondage club throughout their lives than they would kicking a stupid beanbag ball. Am I right?

I'll get the magic markers & posterboard! Let's converge upon ISU like the mass of perverts we are and give them a show of strength and support! And it might not hurt to wear our corsets & chaps! For the cause, of course!

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:45 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

<----makes plans for the convergence of Pixies upon her state. Who wants to sleep over?

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author

Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Manwhore

Quote:
Originally posted by IAKaraokeGirl
<----makes plans for the convergence of Pixies upon her state. Who wants to sleep over?

/me raises his hand... I do! I do!!

I volunteer to share my bunk with Lilith...

Btw... Is there a proven link between living an S&M lifestyle and being a rapist? Jeez...

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 10-02-2003, 04:12 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

Top or bottom bunk, Aqua? Or do you want Lilith to pick?

Old 10-02-2003, 04:22 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I'll need both bunks...I am cuffing his ass to the top one and raping him on the bottom one...er I mean S & M and rape have no ties, that bind...or er gag...fuck!

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 10-02-2003, 04:26 PM

Oh my, someone's gonna be bleary eyed for the rally, huh?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:36 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Go ahead and start without us....

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM

I'm making signs for nothing, aren't I?

Why does this stuff happen to me? Everyone else is getting chained to bed and raped while I'm sitting there like a dufus making signs!

*grumbles incoherently and goes back to painting his "Whip me, Beat me, Make me bleed! Bondage Clubs are what I need!" banner

Old 10-02-2003, 11:21 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

<~~~~ loves you people

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

courtesy of WildIrish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster.jpg (16.7 KB, 368 views)

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 10-03-2003, 04:32 PM

I gave up making signs. You guys were having more fun!