Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

Chick Flicks

I just got back from watching a great movie with my two best friends... which movie you ask? The Notebook... starring James Garner adapted from the best selling Nicholas Sparks (AkF.. Message in a Bottle, Walk to Remember) book.

It was a wonderful love story.. one that made me laugh a few times... cry more than a few times.... and made me wish for it as I left the theater..

After the movie however, in conversation.. one of my friends said that her husband really likes chick flicks... and that she hates that about him... that it sickens her... and not only was I shocked... but I completely felt myself thinking "Dumb Bitch... ya ain't got a clue". LOL.. (don't get me wrong.. I love her anyway)..

So... here are my questions for all of you Pixie-ites...

1) If you are a woman... does your partner enjoy Chick Flicks? If so, do you hold it against him? Does that make you question his masculinity? If not, do you wish he did?

2) If you are a man... do you enjoy Chick Flicks? If so, do you think it makes you less of a man? If you don't enjoy them... do you think that your relationship(s) would be better if you did?

Personally.... I would love to find a man who appreciated the genre... who would sit in a movie theater holding my hand (or better yet his arm around me)... and feel a certain connection..

More about the movie....

It is a DO NOT MISS.... a GREAT love scene (tho modest due to its rating)... but it does a good job of conveying the love of the characters..
Old 07-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
Jenna Hon I just enjoy a good movie. I sort of shocked the girl at the video rental place when I told her there's no such thing as a chic flick to me. If it's a good movie I want to see it. I'll tear up watching a Disney movie, why wouldn't I watch an adult movie that conveys powerful emotions? As for making me less of a man, hell I think knowing I have deep seated feelings makes me a better man whether or not it's appreciated.

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 07-05-2004, 05:20 PM

I really enjoy any movie that stirs an emotion. Some are more socially acceptable, and some I enjoy more depending on my mude. I think for a movie to be a "good" movie for me, there has to be conflict, whether told in an action setting, or in the dialogue of 1 or more people.

Too often, when I think of a typical chick flick, there is romance, but no conflict, so no growth of characters, and I don't really care for those. The same applies to action movies, that are all chase but no conflict. Boring.

Course, it may just be I got something in my eye, and not the movie that caused the tear....

McJim
Old 07-05-2004, 05:21 PM
My own little world

Send a message via AIM to TinTennessee Send a message via MSN to TinTennessee Send a message via Yahoo to TinTennessee
It's not so much chick flicks I dislike as just movies that make me cry...I watch a movie to escape reality.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Resident craftsman

Send a message via AIM to Vullkan Send a message via Yahoo to Vullkan
sorry as a general rule chick flicks are not to Vulcan's tastes. More so the few I've seen had plots that drive you nuts. Usually it has some complicated plot that that makes a relationship seem impossible.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Keeping warm

I have been wanting to go see "the notebook" since it opened, but no one wants to sit through it with me.....lol
I've always been the one to enjoy a good chick flick "in love and war" was one of my favorites
Old 07-05-2004, 09:10 PM
~a little bit naughty~

My hubby will fight tooth and nail when I make him watch a chick flick and will also like them most the time once he gets into them. But they can't be to sappy and must have actors he likes.

Owning Pita, by my JassWolf!!
My Story~ Friday Night Spanking
Old 07-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Nurse Ratchet Graduate

Send a message via MSN to flutelady
I can't wait to see The Notebook. The book was wonderful, I loved it and cried when I read it. I can't think of a better Noah as an older man than James Garner.

A man who enjoys "chick flicks"... that's on my list of desireable traits. But if he can't cry at them with me, I at least want him to stay awake and not groan... and NOT give me crap when I cry!

I've not yet managed to watch Beaches without balling. But then again, I cried 3 times during Man On Fire.... *sigh*

It's no trick loving somebody at their best. Love is loving them at their worst.
~Tom Stoppard~

It isn't premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married.
~George Burns~

As bad as I am, I'm proud of the fact that I'm worse than I seem.
~A. DiFranco~
Old 07-05-2004, 10:04 PM
~getting by~

I can't say that I would like for a man to like chick flicks, it gives me an excuse to be with the girls. I'm not much of a fan of action movies, so that could be a guy thing.

I'm not sure I will see this movie, I really enjoy Sparks as an author, this is the only book of his that I have not been able to read. Everytime I try to pick it up I can't get into it. And as a general rule for me, I don't bother seeing movies of books I enjoy, I usually am disappointed. Maybe in this case I should see the movie since I can't seem to read the book.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Loungin' Around

MY SO loves the chick flicks....doesn't bother me at all. We both have lives that are hectic and stressful ~~ chick flicks are great forms of escapism.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 AM
I make sexytime with you

Generally I don't like them much, but that is not to say I wouldn't indulge an SO who did.
I want to do something that matters
Old 06-29-2005, 02:14 AM
Cat wrangler

Send a message via Yahoo to treeview
Over the weekend I traveled so I watched "Master and Commander" on my laptop. Now I've seen it six times, I'm a Patrick O'Brian junkie...no excuses. I got choked up, again, when Stephen wasn't allowed to continue his explorations in Galapagos Islands. It's also sad when a couple of the characters are killed. Chick flicks aren't the only ones that get me weepy, and I don't have any issue with crying. That got settled many years ago.

Would I see a CF by myself? Probably not. But I do like going with a date. There is generally some good discussions afterwards.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:03 PM
gurly gurl

I like 'em....he doesn't care for them. If we rent one at home, he'll watch it, but stare at me wondering why I am balling my eyes out. Phenomenon and City of Angels I've seen 5,638,943 times each and cry every time......he just can't understand why I'd torture myself.

But I'm just as bad about seeing "boy movies" BLAH!
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

OMG, the guy I just broke up with won't watch movies unless they have De Niro, Pacino, Stallone or some other masculine guy in it.

It goes both ways for me. I liked his macho ways and his choice of movies was not a surprise. The guy I dated before him was more sensitive (and a film student) so we could watch anything together.

On the whole, I can appreciate a guy who doesn't want to watch Hugh Grant with me as long as he appreciates my hatred of Seagal, Stallone, etc.