Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Mama Mia!

Women with IUDS?

I'd like some advice from you all on this...I've been thinking of getting an IUD for a long time, I'm familiar with how they work and all. My question is mostly aimed at childless women, though I welcome anyone.

I know that IUDs are generally recommended for women who have had children (though it is not a requirement) because it's less likely to be expelled from the uterus. Have any of you experienced that (expulsion from the uterus)?

Does anyone here have an IUD? Does anyone here with no children have an IUD? If so, how has your experience with it been?

I realize that it can cause cramping and insertion can be painful, but the results are well worth it because in the long run it's the cheapest and most effective form of birth control. I'm sick of taking the pill and the shot makes me gain weight, as did the birth control patch

I definitely do not want kids now or in the next 5-10 years, maybe never, but I wouldn't want to get my tubes tied (as if a doctor would do that at my age anyway) just in case, so an IUD seems to be my best bet for long term, no hassle birth control. Any thoughts?

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-04-2005, 10:27 PM
One Hot Mamma!

Send a message via MSN to ShadowDancer Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowDancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie7788
I realize that it can cause cramping and insertion can be painful, but the results are well worth it because in the long run it's the cheapest and most effective form of birth control. I'm sick of taking the pill and the shot makes me gain weight, as did the birth control patch

Ok, I don't have one, as I'm fixing to be on the pill again--and I plan on having one more child in the next 5 yrs(give or take). But, I'm on a mom's group on MSN and several of the ladies on there have them. The most popular one is the copper IUD according to them. And yes, from what they've said, it does cause cramping and the insertion was painful. It also caused heavier periods for a while(or is still causing them for one or two), then after a bit, most of them are now no longer even having a period. Now, all these ladies, that have the IUD's had their last kids in 2003(atleast, the last ones they plan on having anytime soon), so they've had them for atleast a few months now. That's all I can say, but if you want, you can email me any questions, and I can ask the ladies on the group if you want.

~SD~
“Sex is one of the most personal things we do as people. To have someone who says she loves you limit how you express yourself in the bedroom is like a small death. It kills the soul.” --Anita Blake to Jason Schuyler in "Blood Noir" by Laurell K. Hamilton
Old 03-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

Since in your profile you describe yourself as recently single, I'd have thought the IUD would be a bit drastic since you'll still be using condoms every time you have sex anyway, to protect you against STIs.

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 03-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Mama Mia!

I am recently single, that's true, but I do have plans for which I will not be using condoms. I wouldn't have sex with ANYONE unless I KNEW that they were clean, condom or no condom. My mom has had an STD and I know how much pain and suffering they can cause, I'm not taking my chances.

I'm not the kind of person that just sleeps around anyway, condoms aside, I must be in a relationship at least. Some pixies know of my "plans" but for the most part they've been kept quiet.

Besides, why not go ahead and get it done now when I can afford it?

My biggest concern, really, is having it come OUT, that would be horrible. Sorry if I seem a bit snappy this morning, I'm a little hung over

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Made in England

I have been using IUDs since my daughter was born 29 years ago and I still use one to this day...

The first time you go to have one inserted you must be on your period( third day I think) as to ascertain you are not pregnant. Only the first time! The procedure is, if done by a good gyno takes 5 minutes. While it is being inserted you will first feel cramping somewhat like when you get your period. I compare it to very very mild cramping of early labor but that only occurs because the cervix is opened in order to insert the IUD. After you may or may not feel increased cramping, it depends on your makeup and no one can say for sure whether you will have them or not. Most women do though...It is like all forms of birth control. Some have adverse affects on people and some don't. If your cramps get increasing worse to the point of being unbearable, then it is best to discuss the removal of the IUD with your doctor. The doctor will tell you how to tell if the IUD is still in place(LOL I think I checked every time I went to the bathroom for the first while) and you must have a follow up one month after the procedure to assure that it is indeed still there. I was advised to use a condom too until my revisit to the doctor just in case it came out. It never did. The doctor told me I would know by the discomfort whether the IUD was being rejected by my body.

Some women's bodies do naturally try to expel anything inserted in the uterus but it is not as common as in years gone by.

I have not once had a problem with using this form of birth control and I highly recommend you go and talk to your doctor in order to educate you on this little contraption.

I noticed that for a couple of months after insertion(the very first time) that my cramps were somewhat more intense but that subsided and my periods did tend to be a bit heavier but that too did not last long. I was also told to avoid sex for a week or two after the insertion to enable my cervix to completely close and avoid the chance of it coming out. Also no tampons for the first period after insertion...unless that has changed.

Some people feel comfort in using just a condom for birth control....I didn't and still don't. I definately don't think of having an IUD put in place as being a drastic move at all....it will provide that extra comfort of knowing your not pregnant Where as we all now know to use condoms in new relationships to prevent STDs having an IUD in place is like double protection for not becoming pregnant for condoms do break at times.

Hope this info has helped....

Last edited by BIBI : 03-05-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Loungin' Around

I know nothing about IUDs, so I won't chime in. I will, however, say that I use "The Ring" (there's a thread on here about it) -- which is inserted into the vagina monthly. Less invasive than the IUD...you do have to replace it monthly though.

Thought you might want to look it up:

www.nuvaring.com

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I have nothing important to add I just wanted to say that as a person who only ever used the pill and condoms, I really like hearing about alternative methods and the experiences people have had using them. TY BIBI and Osuche for the 411.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Mama Mia!

Thanks BIBI and osuche!

BIBI, do you have the copper IUD or the one that uses hormones?

osuche, my GYN told me about the ring when I switched off of birth control patches, I think it definitely looks good but I want something that I can just put in and forget, period.

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Made in England

Talking

Quote:
Thanks BIBI and osuche!

BIBI, do you have the copper IUD or the one that uses hormones?

osuche, my GYN told me about the ring when I switched off of birth control patches, I think it definitely looks good but I want something that I can just put in and forget, period.

Copper....every few years I get a new model but it is always copper!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:

((((cherrypie)))) ~~ I completely understand. I've got this cute little clock they gave me to track when to take the ring out (leave it in for 3 weeks, take it out for a week to have a period, then put a new one in after the 4th week is over). Occasionally these changes have come at inconvenient times (like when I was traveling in Brazil).

The dose of hormone is lower than that of any pill on the market, though.....so, if for some reasont he IUD gets crossed off the list, it might be an alternative. A clear secong alternative, but maybe something to try nonetheless.

BTW -- although the pesky sucker is a bit tough to get in...it stays put. And mR, Osuche can only feel it when he sticks his fingers into my vagina. Otherwise, he cannot tell (including during sex)

Good luck with finding out more about the IUD.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 03-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Mama Mia!

BIBI--If I were to get one, I'd get the copper one also.

osuche--Thanks for the suggestion and I really do think that if the IUD gets crossed off I'll go to the ring, I just want something that I cant forget lol. Thanks

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:55 AM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
I had the copper CU7 for about 15 years. It hurt like a bitch getting it in. I thought I'd never stop cramping. I know I went like 4 weeks of severe cramps. I was almost to the point of having it removed it hurt so bad. Eventually my body gave in to it.
There is a wire attached to it so it can be pulled out and if a man hits it just right it feels like a pin sticking him in his cock which is definitely not a good thing!
I left my IUD in too long before having it replaced and got A PID infection.
After I had it removed and for the last 10 years I've been trying to have another child and couldn't. Was it the IUD???? I don't know. Just giving you all the info I can so you can make a wise decision.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Made in England

That just goes to show you how people can react differently to the same thing.

Sounds to me CGT that you weren't meant for an IUD right from the start. Some women's bodies try to repel them and to have suffered through all that cramping it sounds like you are one of them.
I have always been diligent about having it removed on time and replaced. The doc who I first went to instilled in me a fear of being able to get pregnant or PID if I wasn't timely in replacing it. It's an easy thing to forget about though.....very easy.

I am looking forward to not needing to use one anymore or any birth control for that matter, but alas it is still not in the cards for me YET!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Mama Mia!

Oh wow, CGT...That must have been horrible for you hon!!

My mom told me a story similar to that, though it was with an old IUD (like back in the 70s when they were rather shitty)...This part
Quote:
There is a wire attached to it so it can be pulled out and if a man hits it just right it feels like a pin sticking him in his cock which is definitely not a good thing!
just sounds horrible!! I thought they used strings....

I don't know if I ever want to get pregnant, but the IUD is just a semi-permanent form of birth control that I think would suit me...I just hope I don't react like you did, CGT, because I'm a big puss and I don't have a really high tolerance for pain I'd be crying like a baby!

It's a BOY!!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:08 AM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
Quote:
Oh wow, CGT...That must have been horrible for you hon!!

My mom told me a story similar to that, though it was with an old IUD (like back in the 70s when they were rather shitty)...This part just sounds horrible!! I thought they used strings....

I don't know if I ever want to get pregnant, but the IUD is just a semi-permanent form of birth control that I think would suit me...I just hope I don't react like you did, CGT, because I'm a big puss and I don't have a really high tolerance for pain I'd be crying like a baby!

It was in the 70's lol the "late" 70's. Am I old enough to be your mama?????
Hell no they aren't strings!!!!!