Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
NO More Crack!!!

Louisiana Bill Would Ban Low-Slung Pants

Strange News - AP to My Yahoo!

By MELINDA DESLATTE, Associated Press Writer

BATON ROUGE, La. - A Louisiana state representative wants to make it illegal for people to wear low-slung pants that expose underwear — or more. But he's having trouble getting some of his colleagues to take him seriously.

When the bill came up for debate earlier this week, Rep. Derrick Shepherd, a Democrat from the New Orleans suburb of Marrero, was met with catcalls on the House floor. The bill would make it a crime to wear clothing in public that "intentionally exposes undergarments or intentionally exposes any portion of the pubic hair, cleft of the buttocks or genitals."

Launching a fiery speech in support of the bill, Shepherd said, "There comes a time in every society where we must draw a line of decency, where we must speak to a group of individuals who would flaunt the laws of our state, who would flaunt the morals of our community."

The result: laughter from some and a facetious chant of "No more crack!" from Rep. Tommy Wright, D-Jena.

Shepherd asked for a delay of a vote and the measure awaits action.

Despite the jokes, some opponents have serious concerns. During a May 6 committee hearing, Heather Hall of the American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) said Shepherd's bill would institute a literal "fashion police" and a "really invasive violation of the fundamental right to public expression."

House Criminal Justice Committee Chairman Danny Martiny, R-Kenner, said he agreed with the spirit of the measure, but he said the law would be impossible to enforce.

"I don't know that it's respectful to pay my respects at a funeral without my shirt on, but that's not illegal; that's just stupid," he said. "Government can't fix everything."

But there is also support for the measure.

"We should be able to say what is moral, what is decent and what is acceptable behavior for our young people," said Glenn Green, a city councilman from Westwego, near New Orleans.

If Shepherd does get his bill passed, violators of the proposed law would have to perform three eight-hour days of community service at a fire department and could have to pay a fine up to $175.

"Somebody's telling me how to wear the clothes I've paid for? So my kid is wearing his pants off his booty, he's going to jail?" an incredulous Nikquel Thomas, a 22-year-old New Orleans college student, said about the proposed law.

"It's the land of the free — who cares about what clothes you wear?" added his friend, 18-year-old Leslie Barnum. "It's hot in New Orleans. We're not talking Bourbon Street style — topless. We're talking comfortable, relaxed."

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Gone with the Wind

Sometimes I really do consider relocating.... someplace more sensible... Is thee such a place?
I weep for my state
I would have to change a lot of my wardrobe, or be prepared to deal with the "fashionistas" is an whole new way.
Local legend has it that another La. legislator once tried to have "pi" rounded down to three, 'cause it said so in the Bible!
(really it does, but it was an honest mistake)

Besides, those who live in "Marrero" are weird anyway.

"baring it all"

WW

---Margaret Cho
Old 05-21-2004, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Talking

Lilith---I saw that on the news,the other night.They said that if it
affects your job,you are excluded.Therefore plummers are exempted! Irish
Old 05-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Just me.

It's a shame they want to persecute all those poor construction workers.

That is who's being targeted ... isn't it?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:10 AM
It wasn't me!!!

Send a message via MSN to musketeer
Will they be wanting to ban Rock and Roll music next?
if not an escape from life?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:14 AM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
I bet the Plumber's Union lobbies against this one!
Old 05-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
Bad News for refridgerator repair men everywhere.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Anthony_K Send a message via AIM to Anthony_K Send a message via MSN to Anthony_K Send a message via Yahoo to Anthony_K
LA Legislature ON Crack

I see that my state's reputation for really crappy laws has continued.

Fortunately, the law was defeated by the Legislature when Gov. Kathleen Blanco threatened to veto the legislation out of general principle...but since we have such dunderheads in our Lege who are more obsessed with seeing plumber's crack and half-mast jeans and sphagetti thong..I'm sure that they will try and try again next year.

BTW..this is my first post here in this fine forum..and I'm very happy to be here. I'd give a more complete introduction of myself, but I don't know where the appropriate location to place it would be..but in the meantime, there's always my bio.

Again...very happy to be here..and I plan on coming back..and cumming, too, again...and again..and again....

Anthony

My "House of Chatterley Erotica Club" MSN Group (Private and EXXXplicit!!!)

My Shrine of Worship to Shauna O'Brien, The Sexiest Woman Alive!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:19 PM
is not this trim anymore!

Your gov must have a really cute plumber!

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.