Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Wanting More

Unhappy A Hard Decision

After 10 months of employment at my first "real" job, I have decided that I will put in my letter of resignation on Friday.

The skilled nursing facility that I work for is a sinking ship. I have made a list of all employees who have either been fired or quit since I have been there, and the list tops out at 35, without a few I'm sure that I'm forgetting. After our administrator taking another position out in California, and going through 4 directors of nursing, we have finally gotten some stability in place, but not soon enough for me. I'm going to pursue my career dreams of being a writer, not a whipping post.

The last two months especially have been very trying for me as I've been under pressure to add several other duties to my job description without receiving a raise or getting any other form of appreciation. Many of my co-workers have expressed surprise that I've had the patience and lasted this long..I found out that I've held the record of employment time in this position. I have been under the supervision of a woman who gets off by being incredibly nasty to me and breathing down my neck all the time, and I'm just fed up. She is all about the bottom line and has no care for the quality of care we provide to our residents. I plan on looking for a job that's actually using my degree and is something that I really want to do. I have been incredibly patient and have never complained, and what do I get for it??

Part of the reason I haven't been at Pixies that often the last few months is due to the pressures of this job. I've had to go on an anti-depressant (due mostly to the job and some other factors) and have really struggled with everything I've gone though with this company. I am sad to leave this job this way as I've made friends with several co-workers and I absolutely adore the seniors I work with. They have really been the only reward I have gotten out of this job besides my paycheck.

I hope they realize how they treat their employees like dirt when I'm gone, because nobody enjoyed doing my job when I took my week long vacation.

I plan on getting a part-time job in the meantime if possible to make sure I can pay the rent and all that while I'm doing my more intensive job search.

Any suggestions for going through a situation like this? I feel like by going to my Pixies family with this, I will receive the advice and support I know I need during this time.

BCG

Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 PM

You have my best wishes!!!!

And all the support I can send through this internet connection!

It may be scary at times, but you already know you've made the right decision. NEVER forget THAT!

BORU
Old 08-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Can definitely relate to the sinking ship thing, only wish I had been in a situation where I could have made the leap you're getting ready to make...OTOH, being thrown off the Titanic isn't much different from jumping, when you think about it...I wish you the best in what I know is a terrible situation, fingers crossed & all...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Thumbs up

BCG---I COMMEND you,for your decision!When you're younger,you think that
you have forever,to make those decisions.I now realise that,if you make a
million dollars/hr,it doesn't take the place,of happiness on the job.The hardest
part,is making ends meet financially.I realise now,that making good money,for
your family,isn't worth being grouchy with them!Even tho,you don't think so,
you treat everyone differently! Irish
Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 PM
With all due respect

Send a message via Yahoo to fredchabotnick
I hear you about having to add duties without a raise or any appreciation. And the psycho boss. (you don't work where I do, do you?) Congrats on making a very difficult decision, but if you're not happy there, it will be for the best. Always keep what you want to do in front of you, and if you get discouraged, remember what you're escaping from.
Good luck!

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself." - Guildenstern, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Missing the Angels

I wish you the best of luck. Persue that dream, you'll be glad ya did. Wish I would have. Go for it!! You'll make it work and be alot happier in the end.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:32 AM
Loungin' Around

BCG, life is too short to be unhappy. I applaud your courage...and I hope you find the job of your dreams! Many people spend their lives looking for it.......but with your courage and honesty you should be successful.

Best wishes.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 08-18-2004, 02:18 AM

You're absolutely right, BCG. We spend entirely too much time at work to afford to be miserable while we're there. You've stuck it out long enough to know that it's not a temporary situation. The unpleasantness is effecting your health and happiness, scary as the next step is, it's probably the right one.

Unfortunately the blind cannot be shocked into sight, most of the time. The powers that be are not going to suddenly realize your value and amend their ways. You can choose to make a big stink on your way out the door, but I've never known it to do any good. Just trust that justice will be done in other ways, your manager sounds like the sort to create this environment wherever she goes. She's stuck with the miserable working conditions that you have the ability to leave. Remember that you're doing this for you, not to teach them a lesson.

Good luck and fingers crossed for the next stage.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:15 AM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
BCG Good luck. But don't put yourself in a harder situation by not having another job to go to right away. Not having money coming in will only add to your stress dear and you don't need that either. Is there no one you can go to higher up about your supervisor? Maybe the owners of your company needs to know what you've told us. If I get a manager thats harassing me at work I don't hesitate to go over their head to stop that shit.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Change is good BCG. It's scarey sometimes, but it's really not a bad thing. All wise words above, and so I can only add my cudos to let you know that I too, think you are doing the right thing. Best of luck hun...and take care of yourself!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 AM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
Ohhh Hon, I hear you loud and clear. I'm in a very similar situation. My only advantage is having a job offer to look toward. I've been on my job for 28 years though. Companies are now looking for young fresh minds and experience means very little unless they need something right now. Try to get something lined up before departing and make sure your living expenses are covered. Insurance too is a BIG consideration. Don't overlook that. Companies these days are so focussed on the bottom line that anything above it has gotten unimportant. I'm not sure there's a way around it. I wish you the best and hope you find the perfect place for you. Too bad companies are so worried about dollars that people aren't important anymore.

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 08-18-2004, 05:54 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
You are making the right decision. Got to live by what you know is right no matter how hard it is. If people there are so disrespectful to the employees then certainly patient care suffers. You don't have to stay and be a part of it. (((((hugs)))) I hope the right job comes along swiftly and that you find peace soon.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-18-2004, 07:05 AM

BlondeCurlGirl,

If it’s time to go, then it’s time to go. The only caution I have is to make certain that you can afford to leave. Keep cowgirltease’s advice about that in mind.

We’re all pulling for you!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
Well done BCG, you are being true to yourself and I am sure you will find a better job
Old 08-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Banned

I'm also working somewhere where they've increased responsiblities with no pay raises (in one new manager's case, he's making $4,000 less than the previous managers who were promoted just a few months before him). I've seen a lot of good people leave and I've got an interview tomorrow. I'd love to give my notice soon but am waiting until something else turns up.

I left a small town two years ago because the work environment was terrible. I figured I was moving to a big city and would have a job right away (especially since I had a couple of interviews on the phone while I was in the small town).

Looking back, it did take less than two months to get another job but it sure seemed longer at the time!

If you are sure you can cover rent and expenses, go for it. It sounds like you've been unhappy there for a while.