User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
common courtesy

where did it go?

the thank yous, you’re welcomes and general acknowledgements of friendly gestures---seems they’ve been slowly disappearing and i wonder why.

does anyone else think that manners have gone by the wayside?

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
It is one of the best things about living in the south...most of the time, people are still friendly and mannerly. It's a big hairy deal to me. My kids do such a good job of being polite and gracious. I talk to them about being chivalrous. If we as parents don't step up and try to make it important again then it will be lost.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
pixie of the wood

yep. just like we do our letters and numbers every day, we talk about manners and courtesy, too.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
is not this trim anymore!

Being courteous is a huge pet peeve of mine. When someone's behind you, you hold the door for them. And when someone does that for you, you thank them. I must hold the door 30 times a day and I can't tell you how many times people just walk right through without even a passing glance, like it's my job. Hell, even if it were my job...is there anthing wrong with a thank you?

I try so hard to instill that in my kids. It's tough raising them like that when so few others care enough to also.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
~getting by~

I had always though the midwest was polite and courteous, until I moved to the South... I try to be polite, but sometimes my rushed ways get the best of me. It was pointed out by some Europeans that Americans have a terrible habit. Say for example, I hold the door open for someone and they respond with a "thanks", we tend to say "uh-huh", rather than "you're welcome". I cringe now everytime I find myself saying "uh-huh" when someone says "thanks" or "thank you". Of course the European interpretation of an American "uh-huh" was entertaining and made us all look like slobbish idiots. But hey, if it's their impression, I'll do what I can to fix it.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Mama Mia!

I agree with you, Lilith, about the South. That's another reason I love it so much here.

Men still hold the door for us most of the time here, at least that's my experience. People still say "please" and "thank you" and "you're welcome", and everyone is friendly. Women are respected.

I think it's still slowly changing here, too, however People aren't teaching their kids the same manners that we were taught.

Teenage boys seem to be the worst about it, maybe it's because they're clumsy and still learning the ropes, but in all my teenage years I've only dated one boy who opened the car doors for me, opened other doors, insisted that I take his jacket etc etc. If I have a son I hope I can teach him better, and hats off to you parents who are teaching your children better. More people should.

It's a BOY!!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Missing the Angels

I held the door open one time for a little old lady, she was shocked!!! Kept telling me thank you.........ended up leaving about the same time from the store and a young male, maybe about 20, in front of her just let the door go and it smacked her. I ran up and opened it for her and then went out and yelled and the dude to respect his elders. He gave me this deer in head lights look and I told him I hope he treats his grandmother better then this poor lady. I felt so bad for her I walked her to her car.

My daughter (8) likes to help people. Sometimes she is shy in saying thank you, but she will always hold the door open and pick up things people dropped for them.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
pixie of the wood

i'm always shocked when a stranger holds the door open for me. the other day we were coming out of the library and the peson (no more than three steps) in front of me let the door slam back right into the stroller. baby's crying, books scattered everwhere---they just kept walking. didn't even look back and there is no way they couldn't have known.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 PM
is not this trim anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie7788
I think it's still slowly changing here, too, however

Must be all the damn Yankees!

Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Mr Lizzardbits

i wish parents would teach kids manners. I see it every day on the busses. THey get on, chuck their money in like its a major effort and walk off. Then when they get off they usually hurl abuse at each other, use the emergancy buttons to close the doors on each other. The one even pressed it to close the door and trapped an old lady in them then when she called after him he just swore at her and ran off.

BUT there are those that are well brought up and always say thank you. There aint many about but they are there.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Question

I think that alot of it,depends on the way you were brought up by your
parents.I was amazed recently,when exiting from a store,I held the door,
for an old lady.She said Thank-You,nobody ever does that anymore.In my
opinion,it's too bad that nobody does.I was brought up that way.Evidently,
things have changed! Irish
Old 05-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Banned

We don't do courtesy too often in the big city. It's so densely populated that new rules apply -- get out of the way of the quick, the strong, the aggressive.

If the subway doors are opening, PLEASE get out of the way to let people off the car before you get on (same rules apply to elevators).

I was on the subway the other day and an elderly woman got on. Before I could give up my seat, a big dude (yes, he was black & dressed in "gangsta attire") jumped up to offer his.

Maybe courtesy has gone by the wayside to make me notice that but I dunno. A big ol' tough guy giving up his seat automatically brought a tear to my eye.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Unbalanced Libra

Send a message via AIM to Dubblz Send a message via Yahoo to Dubblz
The death of manners was the birth of road rage is what I think on this,lol..It all leads back to just being a little considerate though..Nowadays though,at least around here,lol,people don't really expect you to do anything considerate..I opened the door for a lady once,and she informed me she was married..I dunno,maybe I shouldn't have had my tongue hanging out..jk..I was taught to ALWAYS open doors,and be thankfull when someone was considerate to me,and I always passed that along..If ya make someone smile everyday,you had a good day,and maybe they did too..
Old 05-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Learning to talk sexy

Yes, I think in many places (at least here in the US - don't know about the rest of the world cause I haven't spent much time outside the states) the common courtesy things seem to be disappearing from our culture. I try to make sure that I am not included in that group as often as I possibly can ... it is a wonderful thing to bring joy to others by simply observing some courtesy ... "thank you", "please", "you're welcome" ... holding doors, smiling and looking people in the eyes when you pass them ... little things really do mean a lot to us when someone takes the time to do it ... I'm grateful that I get to do those things!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 PM

I have two takes here.

Manners are dying because we have a new generation who are so self-absorbed that

anything ouside their personal space is irrelevant. A lady fell over in a shopping centre

here and it took about two minutes for some-one (me) to help her up and see she was OK.

All the training in the world won't stop the kids from absorbing the generational imperitive.

Second take, road rage comes from people's inability to deal with their own frustration

fuelled anger. Self control? Why handicap yourself in this go-for-broke world?

We're living in some sad times.