Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Transitions – The Birthplace of Gospel Music

The Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago, the church where Gospel Music started back in the 1930s, burnt down on Friday night. Mahalia Jackson and the Edwin Hawkins Singers - among others - got their start there.

Interestingly, it was originally built as Kehilath Anshe Ma'ariv synagogue, only housing the Baptist Church since 1922.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
define Gospel Music please

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Lilith,

Gospel Music is often considered the fusion of hymns with blues. Thomas Dorsey, the music director of the Pilgrim Baptist Church is commonly associated with it. Click here, here, or perhaps here for additional reading.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Hmmm I would argue that slaves who were forced into Christianity by their owners were singing gospel many years before that church came to be. I'd say plantations were the birthplace of gospel music.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 01-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Booger Lama

I woud have to agree with Lilith here even your first link states that "By a further arbitrary use of the term, however, Gospel music is considered to have begun in the United States, sometimes in the 19th century, first appearing in print in 1874 with the publication of Gospel Songs by Philip Bliss."

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell
Old 01-07-2006, 07:55 PM

Lilith,

Well, you did ask.

I gave what I and others consider to be a substantial answer, and provided references if you were interested. If you tend to an different point of view, more power to you.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

There are so many things that slaves contributed to Americana but often those things were not officially sanctioned til they began to appear in the North where they became recognized by the whites such as the Quakers who were supporting the movement from blacks in the rural south to northern communities.

Jseal African American History is my very favorite thing. In fact,at some point I would love to teach it.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-07-2006, 08:00 PM

Lilith,

The Quakers were not alone.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:01 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

No and I did not suggest they were. But they are a prominent religious group who help blacks move north.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

BTW it's terrible sad about the church burning. What I find interesting is that it connects the African American community and the Jewish community which has at times experienced strained relations.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Made in England

The church played a major role in the development of gospel music....

It was the place where a base was set to promote it, where it gained a wider audience and many notable gospel singers propelled from. I believe the term was adopted as an affectionate one more than factual in order to give gospel music a home. Such is the same for country music and The Grand Old Opry.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:30 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Very true. I just feel that often the south in it's shame over it's participation in slavery or racism often avoids acknowledging itself as the place where many of the great contributions made by those slaves occurred. I am sure my feelings are influenced by having been rasied in rural places where many African American communities and White communities were still completely segregated.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 PM

Lilith,

Your position in re the origins of Gospel Music, in contrast to negro spirituals which predate Gospel and are closely associated with American slavery, is intriguing. When it is convenient, would you provide a few references for it? I’d like to see where this goes.

Here are a few more references for your consideration, should you be interested in considering a 20th century genesis for this art form.

On NPR

A History of Gospel Music

Thomas Dorsey, the Father of Gospel Music

Gospel from Spiritual

http://www.negrospirituals.com/

http://wv.essortment.com/gospelmusichis_rutg.htm
Old 01-07-2006, 09:00 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

My position is that negro spirituals begat gospel music. I have no references to cite as I don't hunt articles to prove my personal feelings. My feelings are good enough to stand alone. They don't need back up. From all that I have read, experienced, and been taught it is my feeling that gospel is an extension of the music that is commonly referred to as spirituals. Time being what most consider the separator of the two. It's quite possible I have lived in places where the two are still one.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
From all that I have read, experienced, and been taught it is my feeling that gospel is an extension of the music that is commonly referred to as spirituals.

I don't have links to prove the case, either, but it's so obviously the case. I will say I studied Musicology as part of my graduate degree & studied music in Canada & touched upon the Underground Railroad's influence on Canadian music.

When slaves were in the plantation, their harmonic pleas to God were called spirituals. When they went to Church, it became Gospel. An outlet for their woes. An outlet for their faith.