Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM

The interview now will not happen because there is either a computer program or spreadsheet that is telling them that my "personallity" is not compatable with their standards to work at this store. I did not "pass" the personality test that is required when filling out an application.

So, despite 15+ years of retail experience, as well as retail managment experience, and personal recomendation from an employee of the store, I'm not Qualified to work there.[/QUOTE]

A couple of companys around here use that excuse a lot. Its NOT that you are not qualified for the job. Its that you are OVER qualified for what they want to pay!You probly have more experance than the current boss.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-t
A couple of companys around here use that excuse a lot. Its NOT that you are not qualified for the job. Its that you are OVER qualified for what they want to pay!You probly have more experance than the current boss.

Thanks again for the advice and help everyone. This has been a totally frustrating experience.

This is not the first time that I've gotten the "over qualified" bit played out Jay-T.

While it's good to hear that I'm over qualified, for SOMETHING, it still doesn't help with the fact that in about 5 weeks, my bills will be due, and I won't have the means to pay them.

Again, I'm not trying to throw a "woe is me" party, but its the reality that I am facing.

If,indeed, the bottom line is that I DO have more experience than they are willing to pay for, wouldn't it just be easier for them to say: "yes you can have the job, if you want to take it, but A) we can only pay "x" ammount, and you will be maxed out, and B) you will have little or no opportunity for advancement, should you choose to accept the position"

That way I am fully aware what I am getting myself into, and I can decide if I want to accept the position, knowing that I am as far as I can go?

Another thought;if I am "over qualified", how is it necessarily a bad thing?
If I am over qualified, won't I be able to perform my duties-whatever they may be, more efficiently, and be able to assist in other area's of the operation, not to mention giving managment one less position that they might need to "worry" about because it is capable hands?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:59 AM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld
Thanks again for the advice and help everyone. This has been a totally frustrating experience.

If,indeed, the bottom line is that I DO have more experience than they are willing to pay for, wouldn't it just be easier for them to say: "yes you can have the job, if you want to take it, but A) we can only pay "x" ammount, and you will be maxed out, and B) you will have little or no opportunity for advancement, should you choose to accept the position"

That way I am fully aware what I am getting myself into, and I can decide if I want to accept the position, knowing that I am as far as I can go?

Another thought;if I am "over qualified", how is it necessarily a bad thing?
If I am over qualified, won't I be able to perform my duties-whatever they may be, more efficiently, and be able to assist in other area's of the operation, not to mention giving managment one less position that they might need to "worry" about because it is capable hands?

My guess as to how being "over qualified" can be bad is that they figure you have a brain, & the postion they have could be filled by a trained chimp...and people smart enough to figure that out tend to become disgruntled over time...I know you feel like paying the bills is all the motivation you need right now, but they probably see that as a liability down the road somewhere...of course, we can't rule out the possiblity that they're just evil, or assholes, or both (can ya tell I have very little respect for corporate America?)

I can empathize with your desparation, having just come off nearly 3 years of unemployment...wish I had some more encouraging words to help, other than hang in there...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Missing the Angels

Hey Nut......

I've been in your postition. When your over qualified the ones doing the hiring are scared you'll get their job if hired so you get passed on. I actually had a gal tell me she could'nt hire me cause I would have her job in a month. If I had'nt been young and dumb I could have turned her in for that comment.
I would tone down your resume, only give them the amount they are looking for to fill the position being applied for. Don't let them know you can do more then the job requires. After your hired they can figure out that you can move up the ladder.

I got lucky with my current job. My manager was'nt threatened because there are so many stores that I could move up if needed. I would'nt be taking her job. Course I don't want her job, I'm happy being her Asst. . I won't give up anymore of my life to do her job. If she gets any more stressed then she is and quits on me I'm gonna be pissed. The DM will try and talk me into taking the store and I won't do it. I think.

Anyway.......I wish you luck cause I know it sucks!!!!

(((((((((((((NUT)))))))))))))))))
Old 11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Pixies Flirt

Thru my monster.com account I get e-mail updates about various job related things. Yesterday's was nice, apparently the job out-look for seasonal jobs is not looking very favorable. (Just what I needed to hear, since that was the next "target" for me)

This afternoon I went to an "open interview" session at a local video store. The young lady I "interviewed" with said they would be choosing candidates that they will be bringing back for Full interviews, by later on this evening.

Somehow I'm not surprised that my phone hasn't rung tonight. B@#t B%y says that I can't pass the personality test, and video stores paying $7.50/hr won't even bring me in for a "full" interview.

Anyone know how to get the state to pay me to clean I-75 with my toothbrush??

Speaking of which, I'm planning my upcoming move, A "duplex" at the intersection of I-475 and I-69, that way my son Ryan and I can each have our "own rooms", his under one underpass, and me under the other.

Yes, that last part was a joke, but it's getting REALLY difficult to find a sense of optimism.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:32 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
seems like you're sticking to retail/cutomenr service jobs. try something different maybe.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 11-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Pixies Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
seems like you're sticking to retail/cutomenr service jobs. try something different maybe.

I am because I have 15+ years experience in retail or customer service. I'm not a tradesman, so I don't have that "skill set". If I can't get a job in an area that I have experience in, how am I supposed to get a job, as an un-experienced employee, in this job market?

wyndhy, I do understand what you're saying, but as an employer would YOU hire someone with experience, or without?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Turn it up!

I understand the thinking of staying with what you know, I went with the same idea after 25 years in the printing biz...but seeing as how you're at zero employment now, & prob willing to take even a low-paying gig, you may as well try a fresh start, esp. if it could lead to something you might like better anyway...

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld
wyndhy, I do understand what you're saying, but as an employer would YOU hire someone with experience, or without?

it depends on the type of job but if a person's resume and references checked out, and i felt they were reliable and willing, i'd hire them. not all jobs need years of training but most need a good work ethic.

but as the job seeker - especially one needing a job PDQ - i'd try anything. retail may not be hiring permanent positions right now, but landscapers might be, or waiting tables. whatever - even if it's just somehting to bring in a pittance while i keep applying for the job i really want.

or if you want to stick with it, then take one of the seasonal jobs out there, even if it's just front counter. i worked in retail long enough to know that not all the seasonal employees have to leave after the season's over. i saw it as floor help and as a manager when i kept a few particularly good people on.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 11-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Pixies Flirt

Thanks again everyone.

You've given me many good idea's, and I am certainly open to exploring other options. Maybe I've been a bit closed minded about this.

Wyndhy, thanks for the idea of searching out a "service" type job in other industries. I guess I'd not really considered that possibilty. Not to mention the idea of hitting up the places for season jobs.

We shall see!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Pixies Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
I understand the thinking of staying with what you know, I went with the same idea after 25 years in the printing biz...but seeing as how you're at zero employment now, & prob willing to take even a low-paying gig, you may as well try a fresh start, esp. if it could lead to something you might like better anyway...

You are correct in the "zero employment" and willing to take a low-paying gig!! I am. The problem there is, I think when people see my resume' the assumption is that I won't TAKE, the low paying gig, because it's not what I had recently.

I've started to actually AVOID giving out my resume, on that basis alone. The pre-concieved notion that as a MANAGER, I was making "X" in salary, and therefore I won't work for "X/2" salary. Let alone working in a non-managment position. TRY ME, I Might!!!

The next problem arises, when I don't turn in a resume', with my applications, I have huge TIME gaps in my work history, and that brings forth other ideas that "disqualify" me from employment. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Loungin' Around

Two thoughts:

One - you could selectively take your title off of your resume, for jobs where you think you might "overqualified"

Two - isn't it Christmas season? Is there anywhere you can find that needs seasonal help? That would get your foot in the door.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Turn it up!

It does seem a catch-22 situation...but I like osuche's idea of "de-padding" your resume for certain gigs...

Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Pixies Flirt

FINALLY!

I got a bit of good news today! Family Video called and I have an appointment with them on Monday @ 2pm.

The foot in the door, finally worked. NOW all I have to do is kick it in!

Thanks for all your support, and I will keep you posted!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Booger Lama

1nutworld not sure if this has been asked yet but are you calling back to check on your apps.?

Just call back to ask if your app. is still be considerer. This not only lets them know you are still looking. It also most times will put you app. back on top of the pile. When they dig it out from the middle of the pile most likely they just will put it back on top of the pile. Most place will only call 5 to 10 people in for an interveiw so they look threw and find the first 5 or 10 apps that look good. It dosen't matter how god your app. is if it to far down they may stillnever see it.

P.S. Don't call more then a couple times and not daily you want to show you are intersted but not become a pain.

P.S.S. If you can when you hand in an app. find out if there is a day they do interviews and call about 3 days before that.

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell