Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
My problem with Michael Moore is the same problem I have with Rush Limbaugh. They both get it in their heads against someone on the opposite side and EVERYTHING that person does is evil/wrong or whatever. 90% of the stuff Moore bitches about Bush started in congress or a policy in the state department and Bush as the head gets the blame. Now some of the blame is authentic because it comes down to the people you pick to head things, but not everything is usually wrong.

The same goes for Rush vs. Clinton, Clinton wasnt all horrible and some things where beyond his control.

It is kind of a demonization. We have gotten to such a beauracratic state in this nation, that there is only so much a prez can do, I just believe that is actually a weaker position in our country and the courts rule anyhow that it only matters in superficial things who the president is.

Cynical way to look at it, perhaps, I just dont like anyone how is "blind" at another person and can find nothing good.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skipthisone

...Cynical way to look at it, perhaps...

Skipthisone,

Not at all. It is that demonization of the opponent which reduces political discourse to a bestial level; where the winner is the one who has successfully smeared and disfigured the opponent, rather than explained and justified a better idea.

Contrast the words in the Gettysburg Address with the drivel which passes for political commentary, from both the left and the right. The text identifies what is good – and praises it – holds it up for all to see and revere – challenges anyone to say it is not good, rather than screaming how evil and wicked the others are.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PantyFanatic
I’m only hoping that there will be a counter-Moore to present the extremes, with the same gusto, of the opposing views so I can sift both piles of shit to see both sides of the real coin.

FOX, CNN . . .

Moore can be obnoxious but views like his aren't seen often in American news. This movie is also the first documentary to win the Palme D'Or at Cannes.

He was in Toronto for the premiere on Friday and friends of mine who saw it said it's a must see.

He's also on "The Daily Show" tonight if anyone watches.

Last edited by Steph : 06-24-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dimplesguy
Sorry, but having lost employees and many many friends in the towers....I have no desire to see it.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Freckle Face

I wouldn't give Micheal Moore any of my money! I'm sorry but I don't think it's right to be making $$ off of 9/11. If he wanted to make a statement, then the movie would be free.

His clothes are dirty, but his hands are clean; and you're the best thing that he's ever seen.
~Bob Dylan
Old 06-24-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackenzie
I wouldn't give Micheal Moore any of my money! I'm sorry but I don't think it's right to be making $$ off of 9/11. If he wanted to make a statement, then the movie would be free.

I'd agree with your statement if I believed that Moore's purpose in making this film was to exploit 911 to make money. I firmly believe that his intent is to expose Bush's incompetence and Bush's own exploitation of 911 for political and personal gain.

- Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Freckle Face

Quote:
Originally posted by asearching1
I'd agree with your statement if I believed that Moore's purpose in making this film was to exploit 911 to make money. I firmly believe that his intent is to expose Bush's incompetence and Bush's own exploitation of 911 for political and personal gain.

no offense meant by this... I don't understand why you think Bush has been incompitent. I feel like he has been firm (although I wish he had been firmer), and strong and has protected our country against terrorists and others who wish us (all of us..even the liberals) dead.
9/11 didn't happen because of George Bush, it happened because they wanted us to die. And they still do and there is nothing we can do to change their minds, they were born hating us and they will die hating us, and they won't stop until they are either successful at destroying us (then they'll move on to someone else) or until we make them stop. Do you see any other options?

This is only my opinion and I do not wish to offend anyone. I am open to other peoples opinions, and I understand them....I was a liberal once too (until 9/11) and I'm not a complete conservative....but I do HATE Micheal Moore and I think that he is a one sided extremist, and if your going to watch a movie from Micheal Moore then atleast listen to Limbaugh for a week to even out your view Then you'll be like me somewhere in the middle!!

His clothes are dirty, but his hands are clean; and you're the best thing that he's ever seen.
~Bob Dylan
Old 06-24-2004, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mackenzie
no offense meant by this... I don't understand why you think Bush has been incompitent. I feel like he has been firm (although I wish he had been firmer), and strong and has protected our country against terrorists and others who wish us (all of us..even the liberals) dead.
9/11 didn't happen because of George Bush, it happened because they wanted us to die. And they still do and there is nothing we can do to change their minds, they were born hating us and they will die hating us, and they won't stop until they are either successful at destroying us (then they'll move on to someone else) or until we make them stop. Do you see any other options?

No offense taken. I would never suggest that 911 happened because of George Bush. The action was taken by a handful of extremists who want U.S. citizens dead and attempt to strike terror in our hearts because they view our country as a large, unstoppable juggarnaut that regularly stomps on their own lives, freedoms, etc. History, even recent, proves that they are justified in their feelings. This being said, they know that a traditional war of attrition is unwinnable and they take extreme and horrific action. I'm not saying that we deserve this or that they are right in doing do, but it certainly makes their actions a bit more comprehendable. *Side note. One of the most enlightening actions I ever took, was to do a google search and save links to a handful of newspapers online all over the world coming from different perspectives of "the truth". all are slightly skewed, but you'd be amazed at how differently their "authentic" news is from our "authentic" news.*

What I am concerned about is that far too many people in this country have taken on the false assumption that Iraq had any connection to 911 simply because our *ahem* administration has stated so multiple times. When caught in lies or semantic deception, they continue to repeat themselves clumsily and persist on the same old factually disproven story. A perfect example of the age old adage that "If one repeats a lie enough times, it becomes a truth."

Bush is not a smart man. The American public did not like the man and he was considered a joke before 911. I equate him to Chris Rock, who I believe to be the most unfunny guy ever to be on Saturday Night Live. Both Bush and Rock began their current careers as bafoons and it was only when someone else took over and gave them good material that they began to succeed. Given some good writers, anyone can come across as something other than they are.

As far as listening to Rush. I've listened to him and he holds no entertainment value for me. Moore does. I developed my beliefs before listening to either of these guys. I just happen to agree more with Moore's leanings than Limbaugh's.

Fred

- Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

temptation.. temptation... temptation... DAMN IT!!!!!!!!

Lixy... that isn't fair... you should know by now that I read all that you write... and this... this... this.... *sigh*

<------------- stomping out of this thread!
Old 06-24-2004, 06:31 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
I'd only walk out of the theater completely pissed off and loathing Michael Moore even more. Might as well save my money. Too liberal for this conservative, I'm afraid.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:12 PM
here and there

Quote:
Originally posted by asearching1
How could anyone flame that smile. To each his/her own. I am curious as to what you don't like about Moore. Have you seen any of his work?

I have seen his work and I have also managed to read a lot about how his "documentaries" are set up to convey his opinion. I understand that it is up to a film maker to make a movie make his point. But, in the case of Moore, he seems to try and claim that what he is presenting is fully fact and not choreographed in any way. That is certainly not the case. There were one too many different points brought up against his Columbine film (and, yes, I did see it) that in the end I felt like I wasted my money in going to see it. It took something that I thought was an OK documentary and brought to light that it was really a paid for, by me and other movie goers, commerical for Mr. Moore's opinions.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to campingboy
I will most likely go and see it. Not because I love Michael Moore. I have followed the main stream new, and am interested in seeing his view. The New York Times has stated that after 9/11 they did not maintain their journalistic integrity. Everything we read, or watch is just someone’s opinion. So I will be willing to hear/see his.

Is Michael trying to make money off of the movie? Maybe! But every TV newscast, and every newspaper is about selling. Every one of them are out to make money, and yes they did make money off of 9/11.

“Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is.”
Barbara Bush

"You know that look women get when they want sex? Me neither!"
Drew Carey
Old 06-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Great comments and opinions! TY everyone!

I don't like or dislike Michael Moore. I'm not a sheep who follows any particular person in his/her views. I check out what they show/say and I form my own opinion. People like Michael Moore or Rush Limbaugh CANNOT brainwash me. It's a weak person who can be swayed so faithfully to one side and close their mind to any other option. I don't vote a straight ticket...I don't follow a particualr religion...etc. I'm open to all information and I'LL be the one to decide what I believe!

So...we'll see. I do want to see this film BECAUSE it's more documentary than personal opinion. Makes it easier to absorb.

(((((jenna))))) Have at it hun! We can take it! And...um...sorry! *hugs*

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 06-25-2004, 06:56 AM
1 of 8,111,103,258

^-----, ^----- Two reasons I love her!
That post and that avatar:lust:.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MilkToast
But, in the case of Moore, he seems to try and claim that what he is presenting is fully fact and not choreographed in any way. That is certainly not the case.

No, it's certainly not the case. In an interview last night, he freely admitted his POV comes through.