Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Airy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snow
I'm not complaining about anyone making a profit. My dad is trying to get his own franchise off the ground right now. What I'm complaining about is the lack of forethought regarding the hurricane, and several other things. Kind of sucks. As for government assistance......it seems that if you're white, a born citizen, and make about 35k a year (that includes combined incomes for you married couples) you won't get it. Or at least that's what it seems like.

I think you are right!

And the funny thing in my mind is that the lack of forethought and planning isn't good for business. So someone f'd up!
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 PM
unregistered mutt. woof!

Well...
The big oil company owners spend big money to lobby congressional change. Bigger money=quicker change and more advantageous legislation. Since the big bucks influence law it is reasonable to get laws enacted that would save the big bucks first as disasters come along. Voila! Insurance bailouts. The oil companies don't want to self insure, they want big insurers to carry them. The insurance underwriters know which way the oil flows and puts the money where the profits are. Lawmakers can now nationalize insurers as insurers runs the oil companies. Oil companies and insurance companies buy advantages in laws and PRESTO-CHANGO Uncle Sam now is the proud father of foundering oil companies. The bosses of those oil companies pull out with massive profits and are forever rich while we are strapped with the tax burden and an oil company that we are tied to like brown on shit!
Adage: 2 things are certain in life; Death & Taxes. Therefore; God & Beelzebub had a meeting to fix the problem. A mighty storm prevailed for ages until finally they ended the storm with the agreement: From now on Anyone whom chooses doesn't have to die. "Everyone wins said Beelzebub. You get an eternally grateful bunch of worshippers praying forever for lower taxes as I goad & prod them forever with higher & higher taxation."
Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
Ah, I see. You expect people to believe what you suggest because you suggested it. I guess that becomes a question of faith.

Good luck.

Once again, you have taken to inserting words into someone else's mouth. All because I spoiled your fun by not taking the bait, & engaging in a link-posting battle. As I said, I can post figures proving I'm right, & you could post just as many to prove me wrong. Numbers, facts, figures can all be manipulated & massaged to suit the circumstances. All I know for sure is, I can't remember the last time I heard of an oil co. having to go into Chapter 11, or even having financial difficulties.

I stated in another thread that I don't suffer from high blood pressure...mostly that happens because I try to stay out of pointless point-of-view debates. Get a life. I don't need this.

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
... As I said, I can post figures proving I'm right ...

Actually, I doubbt that you can.

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
i'd love to trade in my minivan for a more gas friendly car, unfortunately the government requires me to put all my kids in car seats ... the zoning laws that make commercial and industrial areas build so far away from residential that no-one can walk or bike to work ...

wyndhy,

Perhaps if we increased the involvement of government in the lives of the citizens, it could fix all those problems.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
*ignore*

oh! You can't put a whole thread on ignore. My bad

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Did you want to ignore the thread when you were trying to make your point?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Airy
Old 09-18-2008, 05:53 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Did you want to ignore the thread when you were trying to make your point?

No, I was stating my point of view not trying to force anyone to agree with it or to change their views. It was when you once again obviously still suffering from a case of self importance, began challenging other's views that it caused another good conversation to go south. Thanks again. If there was a gold medal for obnoxious you'd be a freakin' champ. Really.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
wyndhy,

Perhaps if we increased the involvement of government in the lives of the citizens, it could fix all those problems.

less "involvement" would suit me better.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Lord Snow,

I believe that Murfreesboro ran out of gas due to the combination of the interruption of supplies by Hurricane Ike, and the panic buying created by the rumor of shortages and/or large price increases. TingligTess, scotzoidman, and Lilith were discussing the shortage/price issue in the $$Gas$$ thread on the 12th & 13th. Lilith posted that her town also had problems almost as bad as yours.

As was commented on in that thread, some people jump to conclusions, and others join in without thinking. It is an unfortunate fact of life.

Has Murfreesboro been resupplied yet?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Yankee in Dixie

Yeah, we got some. I went to the pumps today and they had nothing but the 87 octane in most of them. No mid or premium.
"BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Will he offer me his mouth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his teeth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his jaws? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Again, will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes! GIRL: Yes. BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Yes. BOY: I bet you say that to all the boys!" -Meatloaf
Old 09-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airy
I dont know how to quote specific things individually (someone has to teach me please!)

Merely cut and paste the individual quotes and on/off html commands individually.

Quote:
I have first hand experience in this reality.

Actually this, would be second-hand, but tha's a very minor quibble. Not anywhere near as important as:

Quote:
My grandfather fled Russia and walked into China...then took his family and fled China when the Japanese came in. He took his wife and 2 daughters to Australia. He left them there and moved to the US. Speaking NO English, having less than 5$ to his name. He worked 4 jobs (for Pan Am, painting houses, tending bar and in a jam factory). He lived in a water tower and after 5 years sent for his wife and 2 daughters. My grandmother was one of the first women doctors in China...she worked changing bed pans in the hospitals here because they wouldn't recognize her skills, she also cleaned houses, and did mending on the side. They all lived in that water tower. They saved and worked and bought a small deli...then later bought a house...and 50 years later (with NO government help and nothing but hard work) owned 2 successful businesses, over 20 houses/rental properties, put all of their grandchildren thru college with no student loans, and did all this themselves. They worked till the day they died. They built a legacy (sure we aren't the Hiltons) that has provided for and left enough for our children. The American Dream is possible....it's just not easy.

They did not build this at the expense of ANYONE. They did not play on the hardship of anyone. They worked hard, they sacrificed, and they had hard times. They also then spent years helping get other families out of China and other areas and help them.

Yeah, yeah, Ive heard this all before. "I/my father/my friend/my cultural hero, worked his/her/their assess off, and never exploited anyone", blah, blah, blah.

Hey, if that response seems dismissive, it's because it is.

The problem with this line of argument is that it totally ignores the vast majority of people who did exactly the same amount of work, worked exactly as hard as whomeever you're aggrandizing, and yet ended up with nothing to show for it.

The line of argument you're pursuing, (and I am attacking the argument, not you personally), is not much more than a continuance of the "blame the victim" mentality.

The social paradigm is that "In America, anyone can succeed. Therefore, if you don't succeed, there*must* be soemthing wrong with you."

...as opposed to the idea that we have something wrong with a system that encourages people to do whatever it takes (and "whatever" means "whatever": there can be found numerous examples of people who do succeed in socially acceptable ways that aren't as nasty as other, equally socially acceptable ways) to succeed. Indeed, "success" under this system is largely defined as being "better" than the majority of people, in whatever aspect you, the individual choose to emphasize.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Bonjour Jacques – toujours