User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

17 March 1918

Western Front
Big German trench raid north-east of Verdun, taking 200 French prisoners.
French troops raid German lines at Malancourt on a front of 1400 meters to a depth of 800 meters.
[note: I have to wonder if this is a repeat of the raids yesterday, or there exchanges of raids two days in a row. The report of prisoners taken inclines me to the former]
Daylight air-raid by British on Kaiserslautern (Pfalz), hitting the barrack and railway station.
Britain: Two German deserters tell BEF XVIII Corps to expect 6-hour barrage, but no date.
German 10.5 cm light field howitzers 16 at the acceptance by the army administration: https://i1.wp.com/ww2-weapons.com/w...itzen.jpg?ssl=1
British and French troops conversing near Barisis, France: © IWM (Q 8565): https://twitter.com/CenturyAgoToday...686732925861889

Eastern Front
Ukraine
: Robert Kosch’s German LII Corps (from Dobruja) occupies Nikolayev, hold all west of Dnieper including Kherson (March 20), advance continues (until March 29).

Naval and Overseas Operations
Black Sea
: German occupation of Nikolayev gains ships building including 1 battleship, 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers, 2 gunboats and 3 submarines.

Political, etc
Ireland
: In Belfast, the military is called out to quell riots that broke out last night between Sinn Féin members and police.
United States: White House announces it will cancel its annual egg rolling for Easter to conserve food. Other groups in the U.S. also urge people to observe an eggless Easter.