Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

First thing to think about is NYC has a High school for the performing art, one for pregent girls, one for slow children, and many more segergated high schools, so this would be and apporerate response for NYC.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Manwhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarecrow
First thing to think about is NYC has a High school for the performing art, one for pregent girls, one for slow children, and many more segergated high schools, so this would be and apporerate response for NYC.

Boy, let's hear it for NY...

*Crickets chirping*

*Pin dropping*

I think a seperate school is a very bad idea... especially a publicly funded one. As was mentioned before... it will just make the students their a target for abuse.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 07-30-2003, 07:34 PM
Huggable!

I think a seperate school would not be good for either side. They will all need to get along once they graduate and take thier place in the 'real' world.

Besides to be 'fair' there'd need to be a seperate school for everyone who was 'different'. In high school I had a girl friend who was super skinny and couldn't gain weight no matter what she tryed. (the bitch- lol) She was called 'bones' & a mulitude of other things & was teased constantly. Would she get a seperate school? If so we probably would have never met & become close friends. What about the fat boy? The kid with a speech impediment? Would they all get seperate schools?

Nope, seperation would be bad. How about spending the money on teaching tolerance.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:55 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
Are they going to make a school for overweight kids too? Because they get picked on alot too! What about a grade school for kids with glasses and braces? A school for ugly kids? A school for....

Hey wait a minute!!! Didn't we resolve this issue, at least somewhat, back in the 60's?

Just a thought.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Suprise Me

The name of the school is the "Harvey Milk School" and here is the web site of the school.

It is rather interesting, take a look.

http://www.hmi.org/Youth/HarveyMilkSchool/default.aspx

The center tab portion "For the Community" has some stats and other information for those of us with more questions. The presentation of the information does lend to some credibility and support of a seperate school for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender youth.

From my understanding, this is a choice for those students, and is in no way mandatory.

I am not really sure how I feel about it, but if it is a choice for each individual then why not?????

Old 07-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Banned

There's a school in T.O. for gay kids who want to attend it. To each his own, I reckon.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Question

Steph---Is the school at taxpayers expense or is it a private
school?I'm curious.I guess,the only way to learn is to ask.
Irish
P.S.I don't even know if you guys have an income tax or what
the standard is.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
Made in England

Everyone in Canada who has a taxable income pays income taxes.
We pay Federal and Provincial taxes
A portion of the Federal Tax is allotted to each province
for education and a portion of the tax for the provincial portion is allotted for education to each Board of Education
THEN homeowners contribute to the the local education costs with monies from their property taxes.We are taxed up the ass just like anyone else.

I don't know if the school for gays in Toronto is funded by the taxpayers but I imagine that it is. Even private schools can qualify for grants from the governing bodies too.

From what I know there is an allotted amount of monies for schooling for the Boards of Education and the trustees decide what to do with it from programs to hiring teachers and opening new schools.
I do know that if changes are to be implemented in any venue there must be someone lobbying for such changes. That includes everything from education to medical funding.
I do know this from experience though. I had to fight the education system regarding my son and I started at his school and ended up at the Ministry of Education stopping by at my elected officials offices too. I brought about changes for him and in doing so for many other kids too. I worked hard at learning my stuff and then presenting it. If you want change you have to take it on as a job with a dedication and determination. You also have to learn when they say no......you ask why! ok I am over my 2 cents, so I will leave now!
Old 07-31-2003, 04:37 PM
dragon mane

Send a message via ICQ to axe31
every one has the right to education free from fear and hate.
the education system is failing to many people in this respect
the problem is not only the hate mongers but the stand by and do nothing individuals. to this school even before the change was
a shining example for all schools untill all schools are able to
protect there students from being oppressed schools like this
are needed oltho a high school for gay bi tran straight alliance
would be better just because youre son/daughter is not gay
dose not meen its not youre problem

first they came for the jews i did nothing
then they came for the blacks is did nothing
next they came for the gay and lebians again i did nothing
then when they came for me ther was no one left to stop them

Old 07-31-2003, 04:56 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Actually I have a family member who has a son who is gay and they are currently having a really hard time with schooling issues. I am not sure that this child even realizes he is gay yet but most everyone else does including his peers. He is getting his ass kicked a lot. His mother is looking for a school where there are more kids like him so that he at least has a peer group to hang with. I agree the answer is for parents to raise loving non-homophobic kids but you know sometimes you just don't wanna go your whole teenage years being the one to have to teach tolerance.

I went through a similar situation when I was a teen based on my choices regarding racial issues. It would have been nice somedays to just be a kid not the poster girl for racial discrimination.

I am not sure there is a good answer here..... If there are enough kids to make it cost effective and their parents want it (who by the way pay taxes too) I have no issue with it. Here in my state it would be a charter school of sorts.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
Gee I've got a really radical thought... let's take all the funds and improve the public school as a whole. Specialty schools are nice I guess but if we turned all the funds in the same direction and actually paid a teacher what they were worth and allowed a little discipline as we once did.. imagine the possibilities.

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery