Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Activity of Brain May Explain Men's Sex Drive

Brain Imaging May Show Why Men Respond More to Erotica

By Jeanie Lerche Davis
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD

It's no mystery: Men are more interested and respond to erotic pictures more than women do. But now, with sophisticated new imaging, scientists can now see what's happening in the brain that makes this happen -- and explain men's sex drive.

Their report appears in this week's issue of Nature Neuroscience.

It's a subject that has long fascinated researchers. In animal studies, several sex differences have been identified in areas of the brain called the limbic regions -- those that regulate reproductive behavior, writes researcher Stephan Hamann, PhD, a psychologist at Emory University in Atlanta.

For example, male rats respond to sexual stimulating smells and visuals -- a response that occurs in two structures within the limbic area of the brain called the amygdala and hypothalamus. Female rats don't show this brain activity pattern, he writes.

But do these same "sex drive brain patterns" exist in humans?

Sex and College Students

To answer that question, Hamann and his Emory colleagues used sophisticated MRI brain imaging to look into the brain activity of 28 male and female college students.

The students looked at arousing photographs of heterosexual couples engaged in sexual activity and sexually attractive opposite sex nudes and at "neutral" photographs -- pleasant pictures of men and women in nonsexual situations.

"We found that the [brain areas] amygdala and hypothalamus were more activated in men than in women when viewing identical sexual stimuli, even when females reported greater arousal," writes Hamann.

In fact, men and women both rated the erotic photographs as sexually attractive and physically arousing. Both groups also found the photos of the couples more attractive and arousing than the photographs depicting a nude person of the opposite sex.

However, in a closer look at responses to the photographs of couples -- which got the biggest arousal from both men and women -- men had greater activity in the amygdala and hypothalamus than did women, writes Hamann. Women showed no significant activation in these regions.

Men also revealed a "greater propensity" for finding even the "neutral" photographs arousing -- although to a lesser degree, reports Hamann. This pattern may reflect what other sex drive studies have found, that across all cultures men prefer sexual variety more than women, he says.

Inside the Amygdala

The amygdala has multiple functions, although its prime role is processing emotions, Hamann explains.

The amygdala plays an important role in survival -- in quickly determining what's good and what's threatening, Hamann writes.

This study, among others, shows that the amygdala is also related to a stronger sex drive, not just emotional arousal. Even though women were aroused by certain photographs, they didn't experience the activation of this brain structure.

However, whether men's and women's brain activity in sexual scenarios is a function of inherent brain differences -- or whether they stem from life experiences -- is a matter for further study of the human sex drive, he concludes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE: Hamann, S. Nature Neuroscience, March 7, 2004, advance online publication.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 03-22-2004, 07:42 AM
slightly daft bugger

At last! Scientific evidence that men do have a brain!

See, we weren't fibbing, were we?
Old 03-22-2004, 09:15 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

LMAO @ thereIam

But only the limbic portion works well.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
is not this trim anymore!

My ADD kicked in BIGTIME throughout that article. Can someone bottom line me?

Do I get excited when I look at dirty pictures or not?

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:58 PM

I'm sorry Lilith, I was looking at your picture and missed what you were saying. But I did have some good thoughs. PM me and I'll tell you all the nasty visions going through my mind.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
A wolf returns.

Send a message via Yahoo to dodger0712
So basically what it says is......men get mind-fucked quicker than women?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:22 PM

Err.....no. Not quite. Men get mind-fucked differently than women.

And I'm shutting up NOW, before I start really babbling.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:24 PM
A wolf returns.

Send a message via Yahoo to dodger0712
lol Ginger. Babble away!