Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 06:29 PM

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I enjoyed the books, and I'm looking forward to seeing this movie! Have any Pixies seen previews? Heard anything good - or bad - about this flick?
Old 04-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Just me.

Me too! I've got all five books of the trilogy; the BBC radio broadcast on tape; the BBC TV show; and now ... the MOVIE!!

I watched the trailers on the web and they looked pretty good, but I haven't really heard anything about it yet. I sure hope it's good. Douglas Adams is one of my favorites!

Last edited by dicksbro : 04-21-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:17 PM
here and there

I have enjoyed all the books he has written (including the non HHGTTG ones) and have also seen some of the TV show and listened to some broadcasts and liked them all... I have reservations about the film after seeing the trailer at the theatre this past weekend... this is one that I might wait for video before I see it.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
With all due respect

Send a message via Yahoo to fredchabotnick
I've liked the trailers, especially the one that describes what a trailer is. I'm a little worried, but I'm cautiously optomistic

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself." - Guildenstern, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

It’s always hard to see a movie after reading a good book, but after what they did with Sagan’s “Contact”, I’m more than reluctant to see the movie for a book of this nature.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Booger Lama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
It’s always hard to see a movie after reading a good book, but after what they did with Sagan’s “Contact”, I’m more than reluctant to see the movie for a book of this nature.

thats the beauty of this movie it didn't start out as a book the book was writen from a BBC radio show then it was made in to a TV show too. None of which are the same. So even if they do make changes in the movie it will be just part of the Hitchhikers Guide saga. I just wish Adams was still alive to put his input into the movie.

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell
Old 04-21-2005, 02:42 AM
Awesome on my Own

I am soooooo there on opening day! I'll be 1st in line!

I AM bringing my towel with me and my hard cover copy of Hitchhicker's to the theater! (Can't find a Babelfish )

I saw my first preview of it when i went to go see the movie "Constantine" and i was the only one in the theater to clap and cheer when i saw the words "Don't Panic" come on the screen.

The BEST part is that the film is rated PG---*rubs hands together and laughs Mwahahaha* Yet another way i can warp my kids I already have one warped on SpongeBob and singing it with me....

(Douglas died quiet unexpectedly, but he was working on a movie manuscript when he died)
Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Just me.

I wonder if it'll open on a Thursday ... I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Awesome on my Own

I looked and looked for a Thursday Preview show and no such luck in my immediate area that would have been to "Prefect" (<---sorry had to do that)
Old 04-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Awesome on my Own

Oh and here is the Official site Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I downloaded the Marvin screensaver, it makes me giggle
Old 04-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Boobalicious Member

Actually Boog, from what I've read, the movie had been in the making since 2002-2003 and Adams helped write the script before then. When he died the complete work was on his computer so he did have a lot of input into it.

I'm cautiously optomistic as well, read the books twice, actually it was the leatherbound composite of all five books. It seems its going to be a lot like the old BBC radio show. Which I have the complete collection of on my computer too.

I have heard that it is going to blow though unfortunately, but I don't care because its Hitchhikers Guide which means its worth seeing just to add to the list. I want action figures, collectable cards, posters, the whole nine yards.

My main concern is with Mos Def as Ford Prefect. I will have to watch the movie simply to find out why they chose HIM of all people to play Ford.

Edit: They absolutely nailed the Marvin the paranoid android voice. I'd watch it just for that too. See, I have to watch it even if it sucks for my own good reasons.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to lazaruslong Send a message via Yahoo to lazaruslong
Hmmmm..... 5 books? Ive got 4.

HHGTTG
TRATEOTU
LTUAE
SLATFATF

So, whats the fifth?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- What a Ride!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:01 AM
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaruslong
Hmmmm..... 5 books? Ive got 4.

HHGTTG
TRATEOTU
LTUAE
SLATFATF

So, whats the fifth?

Mostly Harmless
Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Am I really here?

Send a message via ICQ to dadaist Send a message via AIM to dadaist Send a message via Yahoo to dadaist
The movie's been in the works in one form or another since the 1980s. Starlog quotes Robbie Stamp as saying it's basically been underway for the last 25 years, about since the book came out and started at #1 on the best seller list.

MJ Simpson, who did one of the biographies of Douglas (his one time publisher Nick Webb did another, and it's finally been released in the US, just for the movie, and Neil Gaiman did the first,back in 1987) has penned a scathing review of the movie. The recent BBC review, just after the London world premiere, was a mixed bag. Both are available online, one at news.bbc.co.uk (look under entertainment) the other is on planetmagrathea.com

There's also some interesting background material, written by Robbie (one of the producers) included in the new tie-in editions of the book (in mass and trade paperback). And the movie soundtrack was released to the iTunes Music Store 2 weeks before the CD is scheduled for release, which should be released on 4/26. The iTMS also has some exclusive tracks, all featuring Stephen Fry (the movie voice of the guide): The Marvin Mixes, which are rerecordings/remixes of Marvin and Reasons to be Miserable (two songs recorded by original Marvin voice Stephen Moore in 1981, and released as "Marvin the Paranoid Android"), and Guide Entries - I'm assuming Stephen Fry wrote these himself, but it's hard to say.

There is a movie poster available on Amazon, and there ARE supposed to be figures/toys, according to ToyFare magazine. Whether they'll be "mainstream" (I.e. available at every Target, WalMart, Toys R Us) or "collectibles" (i.e. check your comic book shop or similar store) I don't know yet, but I've been looking.

Despite the reviews mentioned earlier, I'm still hoping to find a midnight show, as I'd plan to attend with a bathrobe and towel. And after the movie's released, the final 8 radio episodes will be airing on BBC Radio 4 (and probably webcast again, as the Life the Universe and Everything series was last year). These will be a little more loosely based on books 4 and 5, the 3rd series followed the third book rather well (in the uncut CD version) - the new producer has stated how he'd like to give a more upbeat ending to the series than Mostly Harmless, which is something DNA talked about before he died in 2001.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Boobalicious Member

I love you dadaist. Marry me. Such a wealth of information. Going to iTMS now. And now that you mention it, I will probably go with my towel and bathrobe. Sounds like a plan.