Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Pixies Flirt

Send a message via AIM to 1nutworld
Not a sex advice, Jobs anyone?

As many of you know, I'm looking for a job, and I found an ad for the following.

SALES REPS AND MANAGERS NEEDED EXPANDING TERRITORY Reps earn to $2200/ wk. Managers to $3400 /wk. Explosive growth. IPO this December.

Any one else seen jobs advertised like this?

Not that I'm being skeptical, but doesn't the old adage, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

Eek - sounds horrible to me. I'm thinking pyramid selling, or else horrible telemarketing type role....

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 10-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
If the job is really that great, pays well, & offers job security, without sending you off to Timbuktu, South Central, or some other godforsaken hellhole, don't you suppose they wouldn't need a lot of advertising to fill the availible postions...I see a lot of these kind of ads, & yet they never seem to fill their quota...not that I'm being skeptical either...or cynical
Been in your sitution myself, nut, & I know how the desparation can make even the absurd offers look like manna from heaven...still, I guess a phone call to check it out would cost you nothing (unless it kept you from persuing a more realistic possibility) ...& time wasted on a offer you don't plan to take anyway differs from time wasted waiting for a job how?

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Unless you have a favorite plaid sport coat and 'enjoy' high volume/pressure sales work, I wouldn't waste the dime.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 10-24-2006, 10:04 AM
Everybody Stretch!

There are certain ads that run in the paper continuously. The type (the lettering) used to "get your attention" is a big reveal. All caps sets off whistles for me. The wording is give-away. If you have to question who would pay this much for a "will train" or "no experience necessary" person...your answer is NO ONE. If the company name isn't represented, I hear bells going off. When it says "up to x amount of dollars" you can rest assured you won't start out at that and that only the CEO himself makes that kinda top dollar. The section that the ad is placed in tells a lot too. If it's not under "Sales" for a sales job, but just in the "General" or "Miscellaneous" section[s]...with no company name or direct phone # or contact name...and you've seen it before (maybe worded a bit different, but the same connotation none-the-less)...I'd assume it's a "too good to be true" ad and further investigation isn't warranted.

That's my take on it!

Good luck no matter what you choose to do hun!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Pixies Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixyChick
Good luck no matter what you choose to do hun!

Thanks everyone.

Luck is definatly needed, as I have now applied for 23 jobs in the past 7 days and gotten ZERO response. I'm trying my best to NOT throw a "pity party" for myself, but when even Temp agencies don't have work fitting my qualifications, I am beginning to wonder.

I'm following up, making phone calls, when applicable, and even stopping by the places to attempt to speak with either the store/hiring/HR manger of the places. I get stone-walled at the door. Yet, in all cases, I am just responding to ad's that have been placed in either Monster, or the local help-wanted.com websites, or the local paper.

Does anyone know if busineses get "breaks" for advertising jobs, even if there aren't jobs to be had?

Last edited by 1nutworld : 10-24-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Banned

Sales jobs are apparently a quickly growing field. It might not hurt to check it out but I do agree, that one sounds almost too good to be true. Notice it does say you can make "up to" X amount. That's likely the top seller in his top week.

I don't think businesses get 'breaks' for advertising jobs since they do cost money to advertise & it does cost money to go through the hiring process, train people, etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld
Thanks everyone.

Luck is definatly needed, as I have now applied for 23 jobs in the past 7 days and gotten ZERO response. I'm trying my best to NOT throw a "pity party" for myself, but when even Temp agencies don't have work fitting my qualifications, I am beginning to wonder. I'm following up, making phone calls, when applicable, and even stopping by the places to attempt to speak with either the store/hiring/HR manger of the places. I get stone-walled at the door. Yet, in all cases, I am just responding to ad's that have been placed in either Monster, or the local help-wanted.com websites, or the local paper.

Does anyone know if busineses get "breaks" for advertising jobs, even if there aren't jobs to be had?

I can see how you might think they're advertising jobs that aren't there, due to your underwhelming response rate Just remember that you're dealing with supply & demand here, & there's obviously a bigger supply of people needing work out there than the administration numbers would let on (esp. since this is an election year & they all paint the "blue sky" picture every chance they get). It's a sad commentary on our times that businesses no longer even show the courtesy of saying "no" to someone's face, but I have this picture in my mind of a typical HR person, already having to do more with less each day, posting a job or two & being deluged with apps from hopeful job-seekers like you, & he/she can respond to each one, or they can go home to their family sometime before midnight...

I realize, not much of a "pep-talk" here, but hang in there bud...

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:10 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld

Not that I'm being skeptical, but doesn't the old adage, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is?

yup.

wish i had other advice. good luck!

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Manwhore

As far as that ad... I don't trust it.

As far as a job doing what you want to do... don't give up. I got hired on at the company I work for at a time when they hardly hire anyone. I just happened to apply at the right time.

A closed door today may very well be wide open tomorrow. /fortune cookie

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 10-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Pixies Flirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
It's a sad commentary on our times that businesses no longer even show the courtesy of saying "no" to someone's face, but I have this picture in my mind of a typical HR person, already having to do more with less each day, posting a job or two & being deluged with apps from hopeful job-seekers like you, & he/she can respond to each one, or they can go home to their family sometime before midnight...

I realize, not much of a "pep-talk" here, but hang in there bud...

Just a footnote, I finally got to talk to a human being at a nationally recognized "specialty retailer of consumer electronics, personal computers, entertainment software and appliances", (who's initials are BB).

Anyway, I turned in a copy of my resume and references, and filled out all appropriate paperwork, to schedule an interview.

The interview now will not happen because there is either a computer program or spreadsheet that is telling them that my "personallity" is not compatable with their standards to work at this store. I did not "pass" the personality test that is required when filling out an application.

So, despite 15+ years of retail experience, as well as retail managment experience, and personal recomendation from an employee of the store, I'm not Qualified to work there.

So a computer program is what decides who is qualified or not these days??? Anyone know where R2D2 or C3PO are so maybe I can bribe them with a quart (or barrel maybe) of oil to get a job???
Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
If I were you I would think back to the personality test and try to figure out what aspect of your personality may have been the reason for their decision. I would also look closely to what types of references you are using and what previous employers may or may not be saying about your performance.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Loungin' Around

I agree completely with Lil. You have to know what type of answers they're looking for on the test, and give em what they want.

As for the person you spoke with....did you have enough of a connection with him/her that you could ask which areas were incompatable? Just explain that you want to understand better so that you can do better next time.

Also...beware attitudinal effects....since you've been out of work, it's easy to get negative and think negative thoughts. Make sure no one detects these from you!

(((((Nut)))))

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 10-28-2006, 08:05 PM
I make sexytime with you

Given your experience, you probably know all of this, but I figure a reminder couldn't hurt

At the job interview, and throughout the whole application process, really, for my current job, I tried to convey an air of already being on the team, to a certain extent, of understanding what they do, what my role would be, who their competitors are (thought not applicable in my case), who they liase with, etc. and tried to smile a lot, which I think I did. I was ready with examples to give of what I had done in my previous job that was good. Basically I think the trick is to show them you're enthusiastic about working there and help them get enthusiastic about working with you.

Not saying you're not doing this already, but as I said, I didn't think the reminder would hurt...
I want to do something that matters
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 AM

Suggestion

I notice you posted you have stuck to the papers and monster. Does your state offer a Workforce Commission? Also Headhunters are not a bad idea, there are several that specialize in one or two fields, with reputable agencies there is no fee for the job seeker.

Robert