Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Hate serving lunch at work

This is a vent. Just because.

I am a manager where I work, and every so often (every six months?) the company buys employees a "free lunch" but asks managers to serve it. I hate doing it.

Mostly because - I think - I don't consider it an incentive to have the CEO or some manager serve me lunch. I'd much rather they do their thing and I just take my lunch and go. Further, I like my private lunch time. I work like a dog and can't get everything done. And lunch is when I recharge my batteries.

I don't buy into this whole "a chance to serve your coworkers" BS and I also think it isn't a "Good chance to see people". I mean really, your job as a manager is to serve your coworkers. And further seeing people is a style choice. If you can't get out of your F'ing office to see what is going on then serving lunch is an excuse.

I realize that for some people it is a good thing to recieve a lunch from someone like that. Although news flash, I'd bet they'd appreciate an actual conversation with them instead rather than a "Here's your hamburger!".

Anyway, I know this isn't that big of a deal, but God I hate it. So I skip out when I can. I know, this isn't that big of a deal. Pretty much a case of where if I just keep my mouth shut people don't worry about it.

Vent. Was asked for this Thursday and I made plans to be offsite.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM

It's an opportunity for management to do a Uriah Heap and show how 'umble they be.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Sorry man, don't get the reference.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Charles Dickens.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Yankee in Dixie

When I worked at a particular warehouse they used to do that. I enjoyed the free lunch, but never really cared who served it. I would have preferred management actually asking my opinion on how to make things more efficient, or make the work conditions a bit better.
"BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Will he offer me his mouth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his teeth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his jaws? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Again, will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes! GIRL: Yes. BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Yes. BOY: I bet you say that to all the boys!" -Meatloaf
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM

I get where you are coming from. I wouldn't want to do it either. Free lunch is always a good time to get together and spend time with co-workers but have it catered or something so the managers can enjoy themselves as well.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Just me.

That's the kind of thing that when the people know the managment are "suppose to do it" on a given day, they realize it's a sham. It the manager or supervisor did it on his/her own ... it could have some value on building a team spirit within a group.

I use to call "management initiatives" like that ... "Happy Meal Management."
Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Thanks, I appreciate that this is really boiling down to be a "good sport" and just do it. But I am glad to know that I'm not totally off.

Oh, and the Uriah Heep comment. Nice one. I had to look that up. Spot on.