Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 AM
unregistered mutt. woof!

Red face Where's The BOOT?

Is it in the back end of the car? Is it on my foot?

Where can I find her bonnet? Is it over the engine compartment of her ford? Is it that pretty lace wear on her head shading her eyes from the hot sun?

How many terms are there from culture to culture that have similarities, yet do something quite different than what we thought it would?

When I heard about the spare in the boot, I immediately thought of a very large cowboy boot style shoe with a tire lodged in it! Who'd've thunk that in Britain the "Boot" is the trunk in back of the automobile!

Since we're in the trunk, Does that go in front of the elephant, or in the hold of the steamliner for the ocean voyage?
Adage: 2 things are certain in life; Death & Taxes. Therefore; God & Beelzebub had a meeting to fix the problem. A mighty storm prevailed for ages until finally they ended the storm with the agreement: From now on Anyone whom chooses doesn't have to die. "Everyone wins said Beelzebub. You get an eternally grateful bunch of worshippers praying forever for lower taxes as I goad & prod them forever with higher & higher taxation."
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM

It's not just the Brits who call "the boot" the bit behind the back seats and "the bonnet" at the front.

What I find an increasing worry is that the terms "fender" "mudguard" "Bumper bar" increasingly don't.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
Yep Aussies call it a boot & bonnet too...makes perfect sense to me *L*
Old 08-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

^^^ yes but you drive on the wrong side of the road also!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 AM

Didn't the American driving position evolve from a convention related to the drawing of a pistol?

We are too civilised to get caught up in that one.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

The verb 'Lift' is something I do to your skirt and the noun is sold at Victory's Secret, not a dame elevator.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 08-20-2009, 02:33 AM
Just me.

"Ah So" has a rather generic meaning like, "I understand" or "Oh" in Japanese. In the US we use the term "As* Hol*" refering to our appreciation of who was doing the talking. Well, sometimes anyway.

JK
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Yankee in Dixie

OF, I don't know if there is a greater percentage of right handed people than left handed in the world, but if that is the case. You Aussies and Brits are on the correct side of the road for drawing a pistol with your right hand. Though that is one of the reason why police motorcycles over here have the throttle on the left instead of the right. So you can control your speed with a gun in your right hand.
"BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Will he offer me his mouth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his teeth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his jaws? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Again, will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes! GIRL: Yes. BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Yes. BOY: I bet you say that to all the boys!" -Meatloaf
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Mod with Bite

Who cares why we call it what we do really *LOL* We drive on the left side of the road, we call it a boot and a bonnet, and we aint changing any of the above...sooooooooo
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snow
OF, I don't know if there is a greater percentage of right handed people than left handed in the world, but if that is the case. You Aussies and Brits are on the correct side of the road for drawing a pistol with your right hand. Though that is one of the reason why police motorcycles over here have the throttle on the left instead of the right. So you can control your speed with a gun in your right hand.

A right hand pistol draw pulls the pistol towards the left. It is hard to draw a pistol and shoot off to the right, you turn your body to make it easier.

Aussie Police don't ride non-standard bikes, as Police are discouraged from firing their pistols "on the run". If a shot is required, offhand is the way to go.

Last edited by Oldfart : 08-20-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 PM
unregistered mutt. woof!

I thought the bonnet is a hood!
Adage: 2 things are certain in life; Death & Taxes. Therefore; God & Beelzebub had a meeting to fix the problem. A mighty storm prevailed for ages until finally they ended the storm with the agreement: From now on Anyone whom chooses doesn't have to die. "Everyone wins said Beelzebub. You get an eternally grateful bunch of worshippers praying forever for lower taxes as I goad & prod them forever with higher & higher taxation."
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Nah, a bonnet's a pretty hat over the engine bay.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Melted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangtasia
Who cares why we call it what we do really *LOL* We drive on the left side of the road, we call it a boot and a bonnet, and we aint changing any of the above...sooooooooo

I, on the other, am fascinated with why we call it what we do. Carry on with the stories!

Si à travers nos veines coule encore le sang...
Si dans les jeux d'enfants on entend encore l'accent...
Si nous sentons encore l'espoir de nos grands-parents...
Si dans les voiles du large souffle encore le vent...
Y'a jamais eu de Grand Dérangement.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Mod with Bite

I didnt say to stop adding the stories, just accept that people call & do things that they do...

I cant for the life of me understand the 'feather tick' that PF mentioned to me about one day...I got an image of a Tick covered in feathers, didnt even know they came with feathers *L*

I'm pretty sure a feather tick is the equivalent of our 'Doona' (yep which i then had to explain to PF *L*)
Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangtasia
I didnt say to stop adding the stories, just accept that people call & do things that they do...

I cant for the life of me understand the 'feather tick' that PF mentioned to me about one day...I got an image of a Tick covered in feathers, didnt even know they came with feathers *L*

I'm pretty sure a feather tick is the equivalent of our 'Doona' (yep which i then had to explain to PF *L*)

Being a mere Brit, I have NO clue what either of those things are!!

Of course, the word which has the single most diverse meaning between us and U.S. is "fanny". There, In believe, it's a word for the female posterior, whereas here, it's a word for PUSSY!!! Confuses the Hell out of us simple souls y'know!!

DM
I only own my mind