Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Push Me ~ Pull You

It's not what you think!

It's about my eyes. Here's some background...

When I was in second grade I had to get glasses. I had no idea that the world was clearer than what I saw, but a very astute teacher saw me squinting and struggling to see and told my mom I should see an eye doctor. I did and they found I was severely nearsighted.

I wish my scanner worked so I could post the pic of me in my brand new, pink, cat's eye glasses in Mrs. Kinnarney's 2nd grade class...but I digress. (<--the pic is a piss and I laugh at it whenever I see it)...

When I was 17 I got contact lenses and never turned back. I took my "coke bottle" wire framed (I had progressed to at least John Lennon style by then) glasses and wrung them like an old dish rag and swore to never wear glasses again. After all, guys don't make passes at a girl who wears glasses...right?

My sight worsened through the years...and then it leveled out...and has maintained a certain prescription for over 2 decades now. Or so I thought...

Last week I had a pretty bad eye irritation/infection (my eyes were red and when I woke they were ooey gooey icky and swollen). I had to go get my eyes examined anyway because I was on my last pair of lenses, so off I went with a heavy heart...thinking the worst. Upon sight inspection, the doc surely thought the worst too, cause she said there will be restrictions if she can't get a reading or do a dialation or do a fitting for lenses...and she seemed to be dooming me before the actual examination...but I insisted we press on.

Some people can't stand any contact with their eyes. I am just the opposite...I have always said that anything that helps me see better, be it the doc having to take out my eyeballs and roll them around on a pool table if she/he must, is ok with me! Happily...that wasn't necessary...lol!

They took my old glasses to get a reading from them to see if my script changed within the past 15 years. I owned one pair of glasses for when it was absolutely necessary to take my lenses out (if I was drop dead drunk or something) and let my eyes rest or to go to sleep. Now remember...I got contacts at 17 and I am 47 now. In that whole time I have only had one pair of glasses and I didn't get them till much later after I got my lenses and destroyed my daily glasses.

LONG STORY...HUH?????

Oh...be patient guys...I swear I have a point!

So anyway...She tested for glaucoma (the puff test), she put dye in my already irritated eyes to check my cornea's to see if they were scratched or something was lodged in them (like leather ot textile from work...or something), she didn't dialate my eyes cause I had driven to the store alone (WHEW!)...and then we did all the usual tests. "Put your head in here and you forehead againt the bar"...lenses drop at a pace that someone my age can't distinguish "better or worse"?...so I ask to see it again so I can concentrate...blah, blah, blah. Then I have to read the chart. What chart? More lenses drop...OHHHHHHHHHHHH...that chart! A R O P D Q...right? More lenses drop...B A D P (ding, ding...got that one right) R O...GEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

"Lixy? How old did you say you were?" Um....Um...*barely a whisper* "47...why?" "Can you read anything on this paper in front of you?" It's an exerpt from The Swiss Family Robinson...should I tell her I read the book? "Um...yes...I can read the first line" (the smallest letters)...

AND I COULD...NOT FROM MEMORY...BUT I COULD SEE IT CLEAR AS DAY!!!!!!!

My Point?

*waits for the the huffing and puffing and sighs to cease* LOL!

She got a reading on my vision...my sight has improved from -6.00 and -5.75 (l and r eye respectively) to -5.50 and -5.00 (l an r eye respectively)...THE FIRST TIME EVER IN MY LIFE FOR AN IMPROVEMENT! And...I have a new script for my regular glasses that has improved as well.

Not to mention...she gave me a pair of bifocal contact lenses that make me feel 20 y/o again!!! I don't have to wear reading glasses anymore!

My reason to put this in the advice forum? I was heavily considering surgery on my eyes to improve the vision so I don't have to ever wear glasses or contacts again.

Has anyone had such surgery...and could you share your stories (good or bad). Are you nearsighted as well as farsighted? Do you know if the surgery can be done on both vision corrections? Anything you can contribute would be wonderful insight (pardon the pun) for me!

P.S. I forgot to tell you...my eye irritation/infection was due to my using "Equate"® brand Multi-Purpose Lens Cleaner...which has a higher concentrate of preservative...and the preservative was one that I am highly allergic to. It's similar to when I was younger and there was only one kind of saline solution which had Thimerosol (preservative) in it. I was highly allergic to that. Now there is a "sensitive eyes" saline that is Thimerosol free!

~Thomas Dewar~

Last edited by LixyChick : 08-16-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:24 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Summer had laser eye work done and she had a stigmatism in addition to her deficiency. It went well and she was really happy to chunk her glasses.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Wishful Thinker

Send a message via ICQ to BigBear57 Send a message via MSN to BigBear57 Send a message via Yahoo to BigBear57
Lixy Darlin as I understand it the surgery (Lasek or wheteveryadamncallit) only works for nearsighted folks. One of my friends at work had it done and said he wouldn't trade it for anything. He's several years older than us too. I'd say talk to a few places and if they think you can benefit from it why thehell not? Best wishes in either case... we love Ya as you are but seeing better is a great thought huh?

Love is not looking in each other's eyes, but looking together in the same direction - Antoine De Saint-Exupery
Old 08-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Oh Lil...that's good news! I have a very slight astigmatism in my right eye (I think it's the right one) but it's so slight I can still wear "regular" contacts. They now have lenses for more severe astigatisms. Good news for the folks that could never wear lenses at all!!!!!

For those that don't know..."ASTIGMATISM" corneal irregularity suggestive of blurred and/or distorted vision.

TY Bear! I hadn't really asked anyone about both corrections before. And this time...when I saw this new doc...I wanted to clear up the infection first. Then I thought...if I ask her about lasek surgery, "will she treat me differently, thinking she'll not have a client again after my surgery?".

I've been thinking....just haven't investigated as yet!

TY for the input!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Living in Dallas...

Living in Dallas they talk about this alot. Apparently one of the doctors (Tylock I think is his name) is supposedly like a doctor that teaches other doctors how to do it etc.

Anyway all I know is that even though it is expensive I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I have had about 3 friends from the area (meaning Louisianna, Arkansas, and Oklahoma come "visit' me when they were having their eyes done.

I would do a search and find out who all can offer the procedure around you meaning in a few hundred mile area radius and go with one of the people that are the most knowledgeable and have been in it the longest. I wouldn't go with someone that was new or charging the least amount possible unless they also had the successful surgeries etc to prove it.

I say this because I had one friend who had it done in Houston and it wasn't done properly and he had some problems until he bit the bullet and made the drive here.

Just as with any other big dollar investment (especially health related) I would suggest doing some research. Quite a few places will give free screenings to see if you are an elegible candidate. I have a few friends who are both nearsighted and farsighted with astigmatisms that had it done. It didn't correct it 100% but did so that they rarely have to wear glasses. I think he has to wear reading glasses for very small print etc.

All my friends who have had it done though are very happy with having made the decision.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:05 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Quote:
Push Me ~ Pull You

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not what you think!

*DARN!!!*

See Lixy. It’s just like I’ve been saying all along. You are just getting better all the time. :lust:

The procedure has been around long enough to prove itself now. I’ve not heard too many horror stories about the laser surgery. But I DO want you to check it out verrrrry carefully though. It wouldn’t be like getting the wrong lens prescription. I understand the eyeball donors list is kinda short.

See Lilith. I got my puter back and she STILL did it.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
i've also heard mostly good things about it but i did have one friend that had a really awful experience. it was about 6 or 7 years ago, though, so i'm sure there've been improvements in the science. anyway...he experienced an ache in his eyes for a long time, icky puss and watering, his vision got worse. they were later able to correct it but for a while there he was in hell.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Zephreck...Money is not an issue, nor is any other "icky" thing that might scare a person off. My sight (sans lenses) is so bad that I could use a guide dog! OK...that's a bad thing to say for the peeps who are diagnosed as "legally blind". I know...I know...I am a way from that, but without my lenses I am soooooooooooooooooooooooo scared that I may as well be "clinically blind"! I count stairs in case I ever do lose my sight...(matter of fact...I count steps from "here to there" so I can remain independent if that should ever happen). OK...I am a bit O.C.D. and I know it! But it's scary and that's one of my worst fears! Anyway...you gave me great info and I TY!!!! (((Zeph)))!!!!!!!

PF...I love you baby! I WILL be careful!!!!! Starting my research now....won't stop or do anything till I am extremely informed! I have a nephew who had a BADDDDDDDDD experience...but with an inferior source as opposed to the best of the best...and he is in a bad way now, and he is gonna sue the doc ( I hate this...cause he purposely picked the lesser of ALL peeps to do the job and I think we don't take enough responsibility for our actions today...another sunject?)

wyndhy...TY sweety...mom-in-law had that ache too. She's almost 78...had surgery with a lens insertion (not exactly what we are talking about)...her sight improved for a while but ached and burned and wateredand had to have drops thrice daily. But then she had to get corrective glasses anyway. She feels safer with glasses now...but you gotta love her cause she tried!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Holy crap! Your eyes got better! Woot!

I also despise that puff test. I will tell them the next time that I smoke so much pot that I'm never going to get glaucoma.

I would get it done if I were you. I've had two relatives get it done and they love it (they, like me & you are also blind as bats without their glasses).
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Just me.

Well, I had cataract surgery and that was great. Eyes went from 20-40 to 20-20 over the six months since the surgery. At least with this doctor, I've got lots of confidence and if he suggested surgery, I wouldn't hesitate. Still use reading (magnifying 2.0) glasses for really fine print ... but that's about all now.

In any case, whatever you decide to do ... just know you've got us all rooting for you. A dozen or so yelling; a half dozen clapping; some cheering; a number of us drooling; a few of us guys licking; a couple of probers; and a few other odd and assundry types of encouragement.

(I'm the one with the Kleenex box! )
Old 08-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Learning to talk sexy

Hey girlfriend ... from my understanding ... if you have to wear reading glasses (or the bifocal mode in your contacts) you will still need to wear reading glasses ... the surgery (at least so far) doesn't correct that.

I've know several people who have had the surgery .... all but one of them have loved the results ... the one who didn't (one of my sister's) had to go back for one of her eyes for it to be corrected - not once, but twice - and still couldn't get it fully fixed .. something about the shape of her eye made it impossible to fully fix ... still ... she said she would do it all over again in a heartbeat, like you she's been wearing glasses or contacts since she was in grade school and was horribly near-sighted ... even not getting the one eye fully corrected, still has left her with great vision, something she had never known without glasses/contacts.

On a sidenote .... one of those questions from a game show I've always remembered had to do with the fact that most of us get more farsighted as we get into our 40's and it tends to continue (not a huge change for the most part - but something) .... glad you've benefited a bit from that!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Insatiable

Well, I am near sighted and have considered laser surgery. However, as I only need the glasses for driving and meetings (seeing presentations and such)...AND given some horror stories I 've heard...I've decided that, for me, the risk is not worth the reward.

Still, this thread is very interesting.

rabbit
Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Oh Peeps! I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Steph...Yep! WOOT! And...that puff test always scares me. I know it's coming but I nearly jump out of my seat every time they do it. They even had to do one eye twice cause the doc wasn't familiar with the newer machine and the technician was busy elsewhere...so the doc gave it a whirl and it failed on trial one...YIKES! Seems I've gotten many more good testements than bad...and I am leaning toward the surgery more and more. Stay tuned...it may be a while before I've gathered and sorted all my info. TY hun!

dicksbro...I remember your surgery and I am glad all is still so good for you in that department! Seems like all is well in the Kleenex® department too! *giggle* I love ya hun! Thanks for the input...um...help...ahhhhhhhh, you know what I mean!

fzzy...Oh...good info! There is a female comedian (shoot...I can't remember her name at the moment) who has had to go back for repairs too and she's said some pretty scary things about it...but has since recanted her statements because of threatened law suits from the doc that was trying to help her. Oh.......Kathy Griffin...um...Griffith...or something like that. Anyway...she's doing great now (as far as I can remember from her interview[s] on the Stern radio show)...and is off and doing other things besides bashing the doc for bad surgery. All in all I have heard/read more positive things than negative. TY for the information! *hugs*

rabbit...TY for the balanced thinking. It's all in the scales in the end. My scales are tipping towards YES...but to each his own, eh? I'm just happy to see you posting to me in another forum beside pics...lmao! *hugs n kisses*

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 08-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

Lixy.. I am just glad to know you are well....

Personally... I began wearing glasses when I was 20... and I won't consider any of the new precidures.. not for me... not to mention I think I look a little better with glasses than without.. (I will take any help I can get in that area)
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Just me.

Maybe a before and after picture would be in order ...

first ... the obvious agony of wearing glasses ...

second ... the obvious delight of being glasses free!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye-glasses-before1.jpg (9.5 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg no_eyeglasses-after1.jpg (8.9 KB, 233 views)