Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Transitions : Ravi Shankar

Reports in the Indian media say Ravi Shankar, the sitar maestro who popularised Indian classical music in the West, has died at the age of 92.

The Hindu newspaper said Shankar, known for his work with the Beatles, died in San Diego, California.

More to come.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 AM

Ravi Shankar, the sitar maestro who popularised Indian classical music in the West, has died at the age of 92.

In a statement, Shankar's family said he had been in fragile health for several years and underwent heart-valve replacement surgery in California last Thursday.

"Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the surgeons and doctors taking care of him, his body was not able to withstand the strain of the surgery," his wife Sukanya and daughter Anoushka said.

"We were at his side when he passed away.

"Although it is a time for sorrow and sadness, it is also a time for all of us to give thanks and to be grateful that we were able to have him as a part of our lives.

"He will live forever in our hearts and in his music."

Shankar lived in both India and the United States. He is also survived by his daughter, Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Norah Jones, three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh expressed his sadness over the death and hailed Shankar as "a national treasure and global ambassador of India's cultural heritage".

Shankar, perhaps best known for his work with the Beatles, was born into a high-caste Bengali Brahmin family in the Hindu holy city of Varanasi in northern India on April 7, 1920.

He taught close friend and late Beatle George Harrison to play the sitar and collaborated with him on several projects, including the groundbreaking Concert for Bangladesh in 1971.

The Beatles called him "the godfather of world music".

Shankar, who appeared at the 1967 Monterey Festival and Woodstock in 1969, was a three-time Grammy winner and had recently been nominated for a 2013 Grammy for his latest album, The Living Room Sessions, Part 1.

He was nominated for an Oscar in 1982 for his work on the film Gandhi, was a recipient of both India and France's highest civilian honours, and was awarded an honorary knighthood in Britain as well as a string of honorary degrees.

Shankar, who also sat in India's upper house of parliament and set up a charitable foundation, once said Indian audiences did not always approve of his association with Western rock stars and he was also not comfortable with the fame it brought him.

"When I started working with George Harrison I became like a pop star myself," he told The Guardian newspaper in a June 2011 interview.

"Everywhere I went, I was recognised. I didn't like that at all."

ABC/wires
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Oh so sad but a long productive life. I loved his music. I did not have much but always played it.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas