Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2007, 09:59 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Instruments

Does anyone know anything about flutes? I need one and am thinking I'd rather buy than lease but have no earthly idea what to look for. I know some peeps here play a variety of instruments, I was hoping for some shopping advice.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 09-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Melted

I want a flute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they are expensive.

I'm looking for a second hand one right now. I'd taken a few months of lessons about 2 years ago and would love to learn more.

When I was learning, I was playing a Gemeinhardt. Unfortunately, that flute belongs to my very stubborn grandmother (who can't bear the thought of her granddaughter taking her flute away to Montreal - nevermind that she hasn't played it in a decade...). Because that's what I learned on, that's what I'm looking for now, but I've heard that Armstrong flutes are good too. I am watching on eBay currently, there are quite a few, but I think that the prices there are high right now, since many people are looking for a flute for school.

Do you play, Lil?

Si à travers nos veines coule encore le sang...
Si dans les jeux d'enfants on entend encore l'accent...
Si nous sentons encore l'espoir de nos grands-parents...
Si dans les voiles du large souffle encore le vent...
Y'a jamais eu de Grand Dérangement.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:38 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

No. I was a classically trained pianist in my youth and would kill to have a piano in the house and take lessons again. But it is one of my kiddos who is in band who is going to play the flute. I'm a little worried about him getting razzed. You don't see a hell of a lot of boy flute players in the middle school ranks.

I too have been scouring eBay and am seeing that I can buy one there for the cost of about 1/2 a year of rentals. I sent Mr. Lil to the music store this morning and am staying home to look up everything he sees there online

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Booger Lama

When I first read you were looking for a flute Lilith I wonder if you were going to band camp.

it's not the orgasm but getting there thats fun

a shot in the bush is worth two in the hand

whip me, beat me, tie me up, break my arm, but please don't break my heart

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid people are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell
Old 09-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Loungin' Around

PM flutelady -- she should be able to help you. And if you need her email addy, let me know and I will provide it.

Good luck, Lil.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 09-01-2007, 03:36 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

I think N.........N..N....Neeeige's comment, "but I think that the prices there are high right now, since many people are looking for a flute for school.", is the crux and you may want to just grab the one that is less than the rental for now and do your scouting until the time frame shifts. You'll still have less cash-out-of-pocket now and can through it in the closet if interest wanes.

I do know a 'flautist' ...... and can ask about entry level instrument recommendations.

(aren't you proud of our restraint from going for the skin flute puns? )

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

OldFart has not posted yet

I bought one on eBay. I paid under $80 for a used good named student flute that is reported to have all its pieces working and no dents.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 09-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
OldFart has not posted yet

I am shocked that you could say something like that. I would never ever post gratuitous references to a pork piccolo, a mouth organ or a grand bagpipe without the direst duress.

A goodlooking flautist will be a chick magnet if he works on it. Remind him you have no desire to become a granny, at least not for a long time.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

It is the little one who threatens to stow away in you and the Mrs. suitcase so he can go to Australia that will be making my ears bleed until he gets the hang of it

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 09-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Lil, sorry I couldn't get back in time, but it might surprise you to find that I didn't stop with the purchase of a bass...I actually am the owner of 2 flutes...& at one time I could play a couple of tunes on them (my friend & I would tear it up on "Greensleeves" guitar/flute duet every xmas).

Looks like Neige already answered as well as I could have, Gemeinhardt is (or was) the Cadillac of flutes, at least that was what I was told at one time...Armstrong was more like a Chevy, not top of the line, but good enough for the average student. I'm not sure, but I think that's what my 2 flute brands are...they're buried in a closet somewhere. I bought both used from a bandmate, the first one (Armstrong) had a broken piece that kept the last 2 stops from flapping open too far, but didn't affect my playing that much...but it was enough that when the same guy was ready to sell me his low-end Gemeinhardt, I made the Armstrong into a lamp

Sounds like you made a good deal on Ebay, what was the "good named student flute" you got? Dent aren't usually a big deal on flutes, unless in an area where two pieces have to fit together...the biggest problem you may have when the flute gets there is that the pads may be old & dried out, not something an average layman (or beginner) can detect, but if the pads are bad they'll leak air & the every note will sound like an asthmatic steam engine (or something like that...suddenly the right metaphor escapes me)...the pads & springs can be replaced making it good as new, but the last time I checked, it was about $50 for the repair, & that was years ago....

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Gemeinhardt sp2 no dents, the pads are fine supposedly, has some scratches

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 09-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Good deal then...scratches just add charactor

Good luck to the young music student...I too hope he doesn't get razzed, in my day playing the flute or clarinet was strictly for sissies...kept me in the trumpet section...

(get the feeling that I just tried every instrument out there till I found the right one? yeh, something like that...)

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:46 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

I'm afraid it still may be. :s

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Huggable!

scotz: "it was about $50 for the repair, & that was years ago...."
Lil: For future reference just in case you need a repair check with the school music dept. first.

OF: "A goodlooking flautist will be a chick magnet if he works on it."
History repeats: The flute's primary purpose was to be used as a courting instrument for young men's use only. Traditionally, women never would touch a flute.
(Native American Flutes, stories and history)
http://www.spottedeagle.com/flutes.htm

There are more men flutists then I thought.

Jazz Flute Players
http://www.musicianspage.com/musici...flute/jazz.html

Famous Flutists
http://www.flutecorner.com/famousflutists.htm

And these pictures show all ages.
(Flute pictures & videos on Webshots)
http://www.webshots.com/search?query=flute

Looks like your young one is in good company Lil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hummel sheperd boy with flute .jpg (7.7 KB, 308 views)
File Type: bmp Spirit of 76 .bmp (56.8 KB, 299 views)
Old 09-01-2007, 10:19 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Thanks Teddy!

~>My Scribbles<~