Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2005, 02:15 AM
ask ya might get :D

live 8

This event came as a surprise to me not much news till shortly before.Seemed better organized then Live Aid all those years ago.Just curious about people views and if they signed.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:12 AM

I just signed it. It was a really easy process to sign the list. 50,000 people die of poverty or illness every day in Africa. 30,000 of those are children. So, I couldn't really see any good reason for not signing my name to a petition that could help persuade the 8 most powerful men in the world (who are meeting up in Scotland on wednesday) to try to make moves towards drastically reducing those figures.

If you're interested, you just go to http://www.live8live.com , type in your name and country and press send. You don't have to give an email address (unless you want to), they don't want money or credit card details or anything like that. Just your name.

I hear that there wasn't too much pre-publicity in the States about Saturday's Live8 show in Philadelphia, and yet over a million people turned up to show their support, which is great to hear. Of the highlights I saw on tv, it looked like headliner Stevie Wonder was a lot of fun, starting with Master Blaster and finishing with Superstitious. Can't say fairer than that, really. The Who were incredible at the UK show (although there's only two of them left since bass-player John Entwistle passed on).

\\\\\\
(*|~)
_) (___
-(o)(o)--
_) ; (___
__Y___
becky x
Old 07-04-2005, 04:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to lazaruslong Send a message via Yahoo to lazaruslong
I just signed. I think its a great idea to do some good for the less blessed.

Im watching the UK shop now. And my god, PINK FLOYD!!!

Ive seen em twice here in the US but this show actually has Waters!!! Im in heaven
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- What a Ride!
Old 07-04-2005, 08:36 AM

I know! Quite a scoop getting the Floyd with Roger Waters, although I would've been even more impressed if Syd Barrett showed up and they ended on a medley from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn!

\\\\\\
(*|~)
_) (___
-(o)(o)--
_) ; (___
__Y___
becky x
Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Are you guys in the UK just now seeing it or something?

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-04-2005, 08:44 AM

They aired it on TV here on Saturday, but I think you can access a lot of the clips from http://www.live8live.com

\\\\\\
(*|~)
_) (___
-(o)(o)--
_) ; (___
__Y___
becky x
Old 07-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Suprise Me

You can watch it here ----------> http://music.channel.aol.com/live_8...live_now_london

All you have to do is click on what connection speed you have... it is really awesome!!! Pink Floyd was excellent!!! Def Lepaard was awesome.. Bon Jovi - <sigh>....

Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !rebeccakohl!
I hear that there wasn't too much pre-publicity in the States about Saturday's Live8 show in Philadelphia, and yet over a million people turned up to show their support, which is great to hear. Of the highlights I saw on tv, it looked like headliner Stevie Wonder was a lot of fun, starting with Master Blaster and finishing with Superstitious. Can't say fairer than that, really. The Who were incredible at the UK show (although there's only two of them left since bass-player John Entwistle passed on).

Actually !rebeccakohl!...it's nearly all we heard about for weeks prior to the event. I live rather close to Philly and whenever I had the chance to turn on the tube there was a report of some sort about Live8. I wanted to attend but Mr. Lixy out and out refused to drive anywhere near the city. The traffic is bad enough without an event of this magnitude going on so he wouldn't venture near Philly in those conditions. I asked about taking the train and then it occured to me that I have an irrational fear of crowds and I'd be walking right into a personal nightmare.

We just stayed in the safety of our home and enjoyed/participated in the event from there. I hope upon hope that the powers that be will decide to forgive the debts of the people of Africa so that they can focus their monies on helping those with AIDS instead of trying to pay back a debt/debts that keeps accruing interest that can seemingly never be paid back.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 07-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

I signed, too.

There was tons of publicity for it here, too.

I wouldn't have been able to deal with the crowds either, Lixy. Just seeing the tightly-packed crowd in Barrie made me woozy.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Everybody Stretch!

I know what ya mean (((Steph)))!!! All I kept thinking while watching the shots of the audiences around the world was..."Let me breathe!"...and..."I gotta go potty!"

*shakes off the heebie jeebies*

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 07-04-2005, 09:45 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I signed the petition at One a long time ago and have been pimping the link to family and friends. I've signed at Live8 as well. It's important to not only support live8 but to sign the petition that goes directly to the leader of your country, letting him know you want him to support the cause.

I don't think the relief of debt is going to be the sticking point, I think the amount of grants and fair trade initiative may be the sticky point.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 07-05-2005, 12:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to lazaruslong Send a message via Yahoo to lazaruslong
Well, I'm not a fan of large crowds, but seing as I was at Woodstock '69 and lived to tell about it, I guess I'm capable of handling it.

But seing as I am in the backward state of Oklahoma I didnt hear about it till it was over. If i'd known, I would have found a way to get there. Maybe even to the UK. Anything for THAT lineup...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside , thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --WOW-- What a Ride!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

My sister was there!!!!!!!!!!

She managed to get tickets and she kept in touch with me all day via sms....apparently she nearly fainted when Brad Pitt came on...she's a huge fan.

We watched the whole 11 hours of the British concert....didn't get a thing done all day! LOL

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 07-05-2005, 10:44 AM

Well thats me signed up. Its great to know that just doin something as signing a petition could help people in other countries that are so in need of it. I watched the concert on Saturday night and though it was totally fantastic. Sting was just brilliant and so where the Scissor Sisters and Dido. Good luck to what ever they manage to do to help people out in these less fortunate countries. Ive bookmarked the website so will try and learn more bout what i could do to help apart from just sign the petiton. I think if people did more to help it would make a difference to what is currently happening out there and things would chage for the better. Good luck to Bob Geldoff and the rest of the celebs that have signed up to help i really hope they can make a difference.