Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Yankee in Dixie

There is a way for it to generate revenue. Due the same thing as tobacco. The hard part is regulating the farming. It's a lot easier to grow than tobacco.
"BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Will he offer me his mouth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his teeth? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his jaws? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes. GIRL: Again, will he offer me his hunger? BOY: Yes! GIRL: Yes. BOY: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? GIRL: Yes. BOY: I bet you say that to all the boys!" -Meatloaf
Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 AM

Theory says that theory and practice produce the same results; practice says otherwise.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
liked that article, jseal but missed the part where it did or did not find links between crime and school budgets

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
liked that article, jseal but missed the part where it did or did not find links between crime and school budgets

wyndhy,

It does not need to do so.

As crime rates are dropping, per the statistics referenced in the linked article, your conjecture, “there will be less money for after school programs. less productive stuff to do equals more crime,” which asserts that less money spent on after school programs results in more crime, is without substantiation.

As you made the claim, it is incumbent upon you to warrant the claim with supporting data. I did not say you were wrong, I said that the data does not support your conjecture. The notion may be appealing, it may be persuasive, but many appealing, persuasive ideas are ultimately shown to be unsubstantiated. Unless there is reason to believe that spending that money for that purpose is justified, it must struggle along with all the other “good ideas” for the very limited dollars available.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM

There weren't these issues when I was a kid. Schools were scratchily funded, but we were taught well. We didn't have ADD, ADHD, Authority Resistance Syndrome, a 1 in 4 hyperallergy rate and the other hallmarks of modernity.

We had different expectations and a zero entitlement presumption. If we wanted something, we worked for it or hoped for Xmas.

Today's teachers perform miracles, but at some point it'll be beyond even them.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
There weren't these issues when I was a kid. Schools were scratchily funded, but we were taught well. We didn't have ADD, ADHD, Authority Resistance Syndrome, a 1 in 4 hyperallergy rate and the other hallmarks of modernity.

We had different expectations and a zero entitlement presumption. If we wanted something, we worked for it or hoped for Xmas.

Correct.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart

I didn't know we went to the same school. You must have been in the class ahead of me.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 AM

No, later, I saw your name on the dunny door under "for a good time, ring . . .".
Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Was that you that kept calling and then hanging up?

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Now, would I do a thing like that?

How could you even think that I . . . . .?

I'm devastated.

Who told you?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
pixie of the wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal
wyndhy,

It does not need to do so.

As crime rates are dropping, per the statistics referenced in the linked article, your conjecture, “there will be less money for after school programs. less productive stuff to do equals more crime,” which asserts that less money spent on after school programs results in more crime, is without substantiation.

As you made the claim, it is incumbent upon you to warrant the claim with supporting data. I did not say you were wrong, I said that the data does not support your conjecture. The notion may be appealing, it may be persuasive, but many appealing, persuasive ideas are ultimately shown to be unsubstantiated. Unless there is reason to believe that spending that money for that purpose is justified, it must struggle along with all the other “good ideas” for the very limited dollars available.

you sound huffy. not sure why. i never said you had to agree with me or that you said i was wrong or any of that. once again, i am taking the things i have learned, coupling them with my own temperament and ideals and making a prediction about the future. more education has been shown to reduce everything from unwanted pregnancies to drug use to violent crime. i thought that was a pretty obvious connection. i don't even need a study or data to prove it to me. it's a no brainer, as far as im concerned

but, the children are the future and all that cliche, so if we need to prioritize where the money goes, i vote for primary and secondary education to be among the top five. top three even. our educational system is not great, it needs a major overhaul, but we shouldn't be cutting the budgets, we should be looking for ways to do a better job.

the us dept of justice did a study back in '01 (i believe) that showed about 35%of gen pop inmates and 50 percent of death row inmates lack a high school diploma or GED. in the general public only about 15 percent don't have a diploma or GED. i see a big difference. when we cut school budgets so drastically, the districts must compensate for the loss by laying off teachers and aides, cutting full day kindergarten and after school programs and using higher teacher to student ratios (which impacts the individual education of every child). it is inevitable (once again, to me) that there will be a negative impact on the education of the coming generations.

you guys talk about how great it was back then.....what was your class size? did you learn algebra in kindergarten? did you know what the word hyberbole meant by first grade and could you use it to great effect in your creative writing? did you have creative writing in first grade? could you name and locate over a dozen other countires on a world map when you were 5? were you taught to think critically in math before the age of 7? were you able to stay after school and join science explorers or reading olympics? did they have a violin teacher? i didn't get any of those things. we learned by rote and spent much of our time listening to teachers talk at us directly from a book. because of the budget cuts here we may lose all that and more. we are talking about 4 day school weeks and no kindergarten, no after school programs and no primary summer school. like i said, our system needs alot of work, but we've also come a long way. these budget cuts are a major step backward. in my not so humble opinion, an education is the key that can unlock any door. yes, you must be willing to work for "it" but if this continues, it won't matter how hard you work, there will be no "it" to get. a good education will be for the elite alone.

found an article
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...6458363dcc37eaf

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 06-15-2011, 03:09 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
a good education will be for the elite alone.

Which in my state will be paid for with my tax dollars thanks to the voucher program.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:

you guys talk about how great it was back then.....what was your class size? did you learn algebra in kindergarten?

BTW as if teaching algebra to K kids who primarily have concrete reasoning wasn't hard enough, try teaching it to BLIND K kids.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
you sound huffy ...

If you say so.

Quote:
... i never said you had to agree with me or that you said i was wrong or any of that ...

I don’t recall saying that you did.

Quote:
... once again, i am taking the things i have learned, coupling them with my own temperament and ideals and making a prediction about the future. more education has been shown to reduce everything from unwanted pregnancies to drug use to violent crime. i thought that was a pretty obvious connection. i don't even need a study or data to prove it to me. it's a no brainer, as far as im concerned ...

I have no doubt that as far as you’re concerned, it is a no brainer. Nevertheless, you have proposed a relationship “there will be less money for after school programs. less productive stuff to do equals more crime,” which as I have pointed out, is unsubstantiated by data. You may not feel that corroborating evidence is important in this case, but some people find arguments more persuasive with data than without.

Quote:
... but, the children are the future and all that cliche, so if we need to prioritize where the money goes, i vote for primary and secondary education to be among the top five. top three even. our educational system is not great, it needs a major overhaul, but we shouldn't be cutting the budgets, we should be looking for ways to do a better job ...

I’ll agree that education should be on the short list, and your final point above.

Quote:
... the us dept of justice did a study back in '01 (i believe) that showed about 35%of gen pop inmates and 50 percent of death row inmates lack a high school diploma or GED. in the general public only about 15 percent don't have a diploma or GED. i see a big difference. when we cut school budgets so drastically, the districts must compensate for the loss by laying off teachers and aides, cutting full day kindergarten and after school programs and using higher teacher to student ratios (which impacts the individual education of every child). it is inevitable (once again, to me) that there will be a negative impact on the education of the coming generations ...

Your inmate to GED ratio argument looks suspiciously like a post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Quote:
... you guys talk about how great it was back then.....what was your class size? ...

In my school, between 15 and 25, and no I’m not including Band.

Quote:
... did you learn algebra in kindergarten? did you know what the word hyberbole meant by first grade and could you use it to great effect in your creative writing? did you have creative writing in first grade? could you name and locate over a dozen other countires on a world map when you were 5? were you taught to think critically in math before the age of 7? ...

Are those results from the after school programs you are concerned will be de-funded?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM
pixie of the wood

false cause? interesting. i suppose it's possible: there may be lots of other reasons why people without a decent education end up committing more crime and having more unwanted babies. but it is a big difference and, unlike most false causes, is not a tenuous connection. the stat speaks for itself, i think. it's peculiar that you ask for data and when i provide it, you conclude it's false.

no, those programs are part of the regular school day. or, at least, they used to be.

jseal, you've mistaken my presumptions, assumptions and opinions as an argumentative attempt to persuade. i don't care to persuade anyone here, just saying what i think will be the consequence