Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2002, 05:29 AM
Just me.

Pink and Blue

Don't know what made me think about this this morning, but does anyone know how the color pink came to be associated with girls; and the color blue with boys? If you don't know but want to make something up that would be okay, too. Like, "guys get cold feet when they first learn about girls" and girls "blush" at the attention."
Old 05-17-2002, 07:31 AM
here and there

though I am not sure if it is the "correct" answer I found two places that came up with very similar answers to the question:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Alice:

Why is blue the universal color for boys and pink for girls?

-- Wondering, San Diego

The blue/pink thing isn't universal. But our link to it goes back into our murky, superstitious European past, when evil spirits lurked everywhere and we used every opportunity we could to fend them off. Blue was a color associated with nobility and power and was said to offer protection. So boys were clothed in blue to keep them safe. Girls were expendable, so they didn't have a color at all until the 17th Century, when there were popular stories of how girls were born from rosebuds. And now it's just a marketing ploy.

Return to Straight from the Hip main page.

and
Quote:
In ancient times, it was believed that certain colours could combat the evil spirits that lingered over nurseries. Because blue was associated with the heavenly spirits, boys were clothed in that colour, boys then being considered the most valuable resource to parents. Although baby girls did not have a colour associated with them, they were mostly clothed in black. It was only in the Middle Ages when pink became associated with baby girls.

at least it sounds like a plausible answer
Old 05-19-2002, 10:40 AM
Horny Devil

Send a message via ICQ to legend
boy's bits are blue, girl's bits are pink...simple scientific fact

The sun is gone, but I have a light - Kurt Cobain

~I love Nikki~