Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Sex Talk
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 PM

Best romantic ways to propose?

One of my friends has been going out with his g/f for 6 1/2 years now and has finally come around to wanting to marry her. But he's having a difficult time thinking of how to go about and asking and how to do it as he's afraid of choking lol.

I told him that just do it over dinner at a fancy rest.. While sipping white wine or something, knock her shoe so she has to look down and drop the ring in the glass.

Advice from fellow pixies on what works and what doesn't?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Mr Lizzardbits

Ok well ive proposed twice so heres my advice,

The restaurant thing is a good idea but dont drop the ring inthe glass, instead wait till she goes to the toilet (they always do) then call over the server and ask for 2 glasses of champers to be ready behind her somewhere and to wait for your signal. Then when she gets back and sits down. Down on one knee you go and ask the question, if the server has got their head screwed on right when she says Yes the champers should appear. Cue much hugging and kissing.

The other way is to take her to her favorite place, somewhere that means a lot to her and just ask her straight out.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Unbalanced Libra

Send a message via AIM to Dubblz Send a message via Yahoo to Dubblz
I go with the favorite place approach..But..It's the technique..True,the more public,the better,but a woman wants to know why he wants to marry her.I think it's more in the way he will ask,than where he asks from.Giving a quick recount,of how she went from friend,to being special,to being the light of his life is the way to go from my point of view..
And tell him to wear a wire,to tape the second of silence he gets when he drops to his knee,it's the last silence he will hear as she goes into the "planning" mode for the wedding,lol..
I'd be willing to write him a poem,if he wants to do it that way..
Old 06-22-2005, 11:17 AM

As a recent proposee....I can say that what you say and where you say it are both much less important than that you're asking at _all_. There isn't really a wrong way to do it, so long as it comes from the heart. My fiance took advantage of a trip we were planning to Rome, he chose a quiet day when we were having a picnic on the palatine hill. He snuck the ring, wrapped up with a bow, into the basket. And when I pulled it out, puzzled over it, he took it out of my hand, went down on one knee, and very simply asked me to marry him. I loved the privacy and the simplicity of it. I appreciated that he chose a low stress day near the end of the holiday when I was relaxed and could enjoy the feelings without being overwhelmed. I'm also pleased he carefully picked a spot that we would remember with fondness and look forward to coming back to.

Other friends have had different experiences, which you're welcome to poach. One's bf strung the ring and a note popping the question on a ribbon around the neck of a kitten he'd gotten her for her birthday....and gave it to her with breakfast in bed. The cat, btw, was named Diamond Girl in honor of the occasion.

Another just had the ring slipped onto her finger in the middle of a LOUD 4th of July fireworks display....he knew the answer before things quieted down enough for him to use the words.

Another was proposed to on a carriage ride through central park....he'd set it all up ahead of time, there was champaign and roses waiting under the blanket in the corner. It's more than I would have wanted, but it suited her down to the ground.

There's a million right answers, really. However he decides to do it will turn out to be the right one .

G
Old 06-22-2005, 11:28 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Kenshin=-
... going out with his g/f for 6 1/2 years now and has finally come around to wanting to marry her. ..... he's afraid of choking lol......

Why does that not fit together to me?

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 06-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Manwhore

I think Ginger's right, although that in itself is not unusual. Whether you're, ahem, in front of a few hundred people in a theater (not that I'd know anything about that mind you) or having a quiet meal at home, it will matter most that it comes from the heart. My own opinion is that the more unexpected it is the better, though you do want to be fairly certain you know the answer ahead of time.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 06-22-2005, 03:26 PM

Well mine was not the most romantic setting but it was nicely done AND a complete surprise to her (we had been dating a long time and had discussed this more than once so doing the "romantic setting" would have blown it) on to the story ......

What I did was pick up a small teddy bear from the store. I tied a little ceramic figurine around its neck (a swan actually) that had a little place to "hold something" inside it (ie it was like a basket).

I placed a penny in the basket and put the ring in my pocket. I then went to where she worked (public grocery store customer service desk). I gave her the bear and said I picked this up for you today cause I was thinking about you. She loved it and the swan and noticed the penny inside and said "What's the penny for??"

I said well its a penny for your thoughts. She said "thoughts on what??"

So I drop to one knee whip out the ring and said "On will you marry me??"

She couldn't stop crying! She said yes of course and then her coworkers announced it over the store PA and the whole store clapped and cheered (lots of customers, LOL!).

Worked out great as she was totally floored. Any other way (ie nonspontaneous) and she would have known WAY ahead of time!!

***SPECIAL NOTE: I should mention that my decision was TOTALLY last minute. I had just finished a tough day at work but had a good sales day so I had made some decent $$$. I left work went to the jewelry store picked out a ring, went to a Hallmark store for the bear and figurine and ribbon and then off to her work. Hardest part for me was finding a dam penny, LOL!!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:16 PM

Greatsex, that's so incredibly "awwww"-worthy. I love that your first post here is so incredibly romantic. Well done, you. She's a lucky girl.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Missing the Angels

There is always a penny in the bottom of the washing machine!!

I've heard of some scavenger hunts for the ring too.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I was having sex when he asked me....I checked afterwards to make sure he was not just delirious from sex but nope he meant it. Been 18 years but hey I'm easily impressed. I love you stay with me forever works.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 06-22-2005, 05:20 PM

I took my wife back to the place we met on the one year anniversary of the day we met....I told he to close her eyes as I had a surprise for her (she thought it was something related to the night before we met) and when she opened her eyes, she began to cry, I was down on one knee on a public street with the ring out....I assumed when she grabbed the ring and stuck it on her finger that it was a yes - 7 years of wedded bliss next month....

Don’t let the hardship of the past, take away from the joy of the present
Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to looking4fun Send a message via AIM to looking4fun Send a message via Yahoo to looking4fun
I have yet to propose but I have been in a few proposals for some of my fraternity brothers. The last one that I was in my brother took his now wife to a restaurant knowing that their would be a wait because it was a first come first serve. We were all milling around out of site when they went in to get on the list when they came back out to wait to be called he gave a signal and we all came up behind him and we and him all started to serenade her during the song we all go down to one knee during this time he produced the ring and popped the question. Needless to say there was much tears and happy rejoicing when it was all done. They have been married for three years now.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Always Naughty/Never nice

I have never done it, but I had a few friends who have.

One totoally botched it up and asked while she was doing his laundry.....he still got a yes, but it will go down in history as a bad move.

The other was about 2 years ago and was a co-worker of mine. He'd been dating his G/f for 2 1/2 years and for the life of him could not figure out how to propose. So we were sitting at dinner and he asked me for ideas. So I just asked him to explain her for me. Which he did and procceeded to say "there is no place on earth thats special enough for me to ask her".....so I suggested he didn't ask on earth.

2 months later they were on a plane to Hawaii for summer break for a much needed 2 week holiday. Before getting on the plane he had to "go to the bathroom" at which time he spoke with the stewardist who was more then happy to help him.

At 12,000 feet once the plane had leveled off he got up again to use the restroom and procceeded tot he front of the cabin where he took the loudspeaker mike and explained that "There is no place on earth special enough for me to ask you this, so this is the closest I could get you to heaven".
Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 AM
Manwhore

Now that^^^ get's the *Awwwwwwwww* award.

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these
Old 06-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to looking4fun Send a message via AIM to looking4fun Send a message via Yahoo to looking4fun
I would have to agree that was a good way to ask that most important question!!