Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2002, 08:48 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Catholics Asked To Oppose Same-Sex Unions

Knights Of Columbus To Circulate Petitions At Sunday Services

November 2, 2002
By FRANCES GRANDY TAYLOR, Courant Staff Writer

Roman Catholics attending church this Sunday can expect to be asked to sign petitions opposing any legislation that would recognize same-sex marriages in Connecticut.

The petitions will begin circulating in parishes throughout the state, with the Knights of Columbus collecting signatures for the drive. The petition drive is supported by Archbishop Daniel A. Cronin of Hartford. In a letter to be read Sunday from the pulpit, Cronin asks church members to oppose any efforts to give legal recognition to same-sex unions.

The petitions appear to be a response to possible same-sex marriage legislation when the new legislative session begins next year. Last spring, both houses of the state legislature approved a measure to study gay marriage and civil unions.

It is such potential legislation that the petition seeks to thwart. The letter from Cronin, to be read Sunday, says in part:

"The outcome of such initiatives would violate our civil rights. Already the education of our children is being impacted. Some school resource materials state that the Gospel does not prohibit homosexuality. If marriage law in Connecticut is changed, your children will be taught values concerning marriage and the family, which you may have little ability to change."

Marie T. Hilliard, executive director of the Catholic Conference of Connecticut, said: "Only six-tenths of 1 percent of all households are same-sex partners. To redefine marriage for all of society based on a small part of the population is a misuse of policy." The conference is the public policy office of the six Roman Catholic bishops in the state.

Hilliard added that the church believes that rights of non-married people in relationships are already protected by existing laws.

The petition says, in part:

"I ask my state representative and state Senator to oppose any legislation that would, in part or whole, affirm same-sex marriage."

It also says:

"Why do the citizens of Connecticut need to protect the one man, one woman definition of marriage?

"Marriage is much more than a relationship sanctioned by law. It is the centerpiece of our entire social structure and the core of family life.

"Marriage creates the most important relationship in life and has more to do with the morals and civilization of a people than any other institution."

The Knights of Columbus will be stationed in the back of churches, collecting signatures after Mass. The petition drive will be conducted over several weekends in November.

The Rev. Sarah Flynn, a board member of Dignity Hartford, which represents gay, lesbian and bisexual Catholics, said the church's petition drive is an attempt to impose its own religious views on society.

"The Catholic Church is free to uphold its vision of what's moral and what isn't. Those who disagree are concerned that we are being portrayed as somehow undermining the social fabric of society, and there is no evidence of that," Flynn said. "We're not talking about religious marriage, we're talking about civil marriage, and as citizens of this society, we are seeking equal treatment under the law, which is our right."

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas