Password

View Poll Results: Good idea?
Yes - lets limit the signatures 24 66.67%
No - lets let people write as much as they want! 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Banned

My pleasure, sir. Let's go browse some "naked" posts!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:59 AM

Rygel,

As they said in the (admittedly old) ad, "Try it. You'll like it!"
Old 06-13-2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Ok, well here is what I think, and hence what is going to happen.

Rygel has made a valid thread, and a valid point regardless of his percieved status. He posted a poll so that people could express their opinions anonymously and without offending others.

So firstly I will say why I think it is actually a good idea to moderate the signatures.

Importantly, large signatures slow down the site - every user has to download those signatures each time that user makes a post. This means pages are bigger and hence take longer for you to download to your computer.
Bigger pages also take up more bandwidth which means Pixies-Place's server takes longer to send the pages to your computers.

Aesthetically I also think it is nice to have some uniformity with regard to page layout, and therefore with the signatures.

Signatures that do take up 15 lines plus are a nuisance to scroll past, repeatedly. Users shouldn't have to switch off signatures altogether as they are good to read, and interesting - but shouldnt get in the way of reading the thread. Signatures of excessive length do this.

So in regard to these opinions I have reduced the font used in signatures, to compact them. I think this is a good idea because it allows people to write more in a smaller space and therefore signatures will no longer get in the way of reading a thread.
In addition to this I will be adding a maximum number of lines that a signature can be. This will be a generous quota of 7 lines.
I feel this amount of space is ample for anyone to fully express themselves as they wish.

In the meantime I will ask people with long signatures to please reasses them and try and get them reduced to 7 lines or less.

If anyone has a problem with these changes then feel free to get in touch with me.

Secondly I really do not see the need for the kind of comment that Bamakyttn made. It was uncalled for and made solely because Rygel has only recently registered. Does that make his opinions any less valid? No - many other long time members agreed with him as demonstrated by the replies and the poll.

I would suggest that Kyttn reasseses how she sees people and how she reacts to them. We have very little bitchyness here and I would like to keep it that way. We should encourage new members and make them feel welcome, not try to alienate them for contributing and having opinions.

Thank you,
Kim
Old 06-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Scottish Angel

don't sweat the petty things ~~~~or is it~~~~~~don't pet the sweaty things?

hugs and a nice cup of tea with chocolate biccies to dunk all round!xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 06-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Am I really here?

Send a message via ICQ to dadaist Send a message via AIM to dadaist Send a message via Yahoo to dadaist
Wow. Again Kim's wisdom/experience shines through.
I've got nothing further to add.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Starry-eyed Pixie

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaKyttn
I do, don't I always. Beauracracy is really the sum of all things. Every place is politics, even I won't argue with Kim, Da Boss. I do my best to run most of my "Bitchy" posts past several people including a moderator or two. Most of the Regs in Chat have seen me come in and bounce my ideas off of them.

No it was not made solely because he was a newbie. I have made threads that were contraversial my Raped! thread for instance. and it also got ragged by people but of course being a seasoned pixie member I handled it my self with no "claws unfurling."

arrgh not enough hours in the day more later when the wife isn't breathing down my neck

Kyttn
Old 06-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Everybody Stretch!

I'm just jotting down this thought to see how wittle my sig. got! LOL!

OK.........I'm good! Next!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 06-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Huggable!

Thank you Kim!!!

As I read this thread I was shocked, embarssed and ashamed that a new member would be treated like Rygel was. We all have such different opinions and should never be afraid to voice them. But if doing so is going to get the response this poll did,,,,,, well who would ever dare post.

Kim, you said just exactly what I was thinking. Thank you for your fairness, your level head and for being our fearless leader. *bows*
Old 06-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Pixies Den Mother

Send a message via ICQ to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via MSN to Sugarsprinkles Send a message via Yahoo to Sugarsprinkles
Quote:
Originally posted by Rygel
Be Careful Kyttn.

Perhaps there were some rude things said to Rygel, but if one goes back and reads ALL the posts you will notice that there was nothing rude said to him until HE issued what I consider his ill advised 'warning'.
That, I believe, is where his new member status entered the discussion. I don't believe it's good manners when you are new to a site to immediately start issuing 'warnings' to long standing members. The fact that he is new and started a discussion on something we've always taken for granted was not the issue. There is no harm in the original intent of the thread, and he made his point clearly and intelligently. A poll was a wise way to handle it. But his "Be Careful Kyttn" remark was clearly antagonistic.
I don't think BamaKyttn should be the only one chastised for the tone this thread eventually took.
This is just one member's opinion. Take it for what you think it's worth.
Dream Date
Just Desserts
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 1
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 2
Internet Lovers Meet - Part 3
RAVISHED!!
My Birthday - A Fantasy
Old 06-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Everybody Stretch!

I agree with ya SS! I was gonna say it but I didn't think I could voice it so eloquently and diplomatically. TY for saying what I couldn't put into words!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 06-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
I agree with SS too...... it's a pity that the whole thing had to degenerate into a slanging match; NOT what I like to see here!!

BTW Kim.... a masterful (mistressful?) stroke by you, yet again!! What would we do without you?? :heart:

DM
I only own my mind
Old 06-15-2003, 09:55 AM
I do naked cartwheels.

Look I just like licking Bama's feet, ok? What's the big deal????

CasperTG

My Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/80hiRdm
Old 06-15-2003, 12:37 PM
HornDawg Cowboy

Send a message via MSN to quisath Send a message via Yahoo to quisath
I Love the way Sugar Mediates. She's a Darlin.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Mrs FussyPucker

Quote:
Originally posted by Loulabelle
Excellent idea for a thread Rygel!

I think you'll find quite a few people will vote, as I know that there are opinions on this but not many people will express their opinions by posting for fear of upsetting their fellow Pixie members and friends.

Oops! Looks like I was wrong about people not posting their opinions.......but reading this thread for the first time since I posted my earlier comment, I can't help but wonder if it would have been wiser for a lot of people not to express their opinions here!!!!! Lol......

Something I have observed here at Pixies is that once a member has become well established they have a lot more freedom to say what they like and express opinions but perhaps we should all look at it from a newbie's point of view for a change.

They come to this place, lurk a little bit and see how we interact....they register, introduce themselves and then begin to post following the suit of people they see around them, although not yet completely aware of all the 'unwritten rules' which apply here. Then an older member comes along and shoots them down in flames.

While we do have certain codes of conduct here at Pixies of which I am in total favour, perhaps it would do everyone good to remember that the new people do not know these rules yet and may occasionally overstep the mark in some people's opinions. Perhaps we could ALL learn to be a little more tolerant at times.

I personally, did not really lurk here at Pixies but I imagine that if I had, and I'd seen some of the new people shot down in flames like they have been in the past, I'd probably never dared to have spoken.

On the one hand we are always encouraging them to post, but on the other, I have so often seen new people on the site being slated for saying something out of turn.....I suppose all I'm trying to say is give the newbies a break! They deserve MORE tolerance than the older members as they don't know the rules. And when it comes to tolerance, politeness and respect, perhaps we older members could try a little harder to lead by example.

(This comment is an observation which has been bugging me for a little while now, and has been prompted by this thread.........it is not meant to be specific to this particular situation, or any particular people who've commented here, and it is said with the ideal of this site remaining a harmonious and peaceful playground in mind.)

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 06-15-2003, 04:44 PM

I agree with you, Loulabelle. I have been mainly just reading the postings lately. But his comment and the way he originally handled it was the correct way. But got a reply that was not just an opinon of shorten them or leave them. Did he handle it in turn the correct way, no. But then the comments got worse by other regulars telling him to respect his elders (senior members).

Would make me think about posting and just staying as a lurker if this was the first thread I read.

(getting my 3 cents back from the nickle I threw in)