User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Loungin' Around

The Evolution Revolution

Story Here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051028.../science_usa_dc

Do you believe in Intelligent Design? Or perhaps in Evolution?

And what do you think your kids should be taught in school? One specific notion, or several? Are you opposed to mentioning evolution? Or creationism?

Inquiring minds really want to know.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 10-30-2005, 04:41 PM
broken

Send a message via Yahoo to FallenAngel5
I myself believe in the theory of evolution.

However. I believe that in science classes, one should teach science. Not religion. Evolution, however, is not a proven fact, it is a theory, and ought to be presented as such. That being said, high school students are advanced enough to be able to engage in debate on such topics, given that ground rules are set.

As a funny aside: An open letter
Baby I’m your slave
I’ll let you whip me if I misbehave
Tie me to the bedpost
I like it rough
cause I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all
Old 10-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Everybody Stretch!

Do you believe in Intelligent Design? Or perhaps in Evolution? I believe in Evolution.

And what do you think your kids should be taught in school? No kids here...but when I was in school all theories were tabled for discussion and I am no worse for the wear.

One specific notion, or several? Unsure if you mean...do I believe in one specific notion or several, or should schools teach one notion or several. I'll say I follow the Big Bang/Evolution theory and my answer stands as is above.

Are you opposed to mentioning evolution? No! Or creationism? I'll mention that I don't believe in it!

Inquiring minds really want to know.

Interesting thread osuche! Can't wait to read all the replies.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 PM
1 of 8,029,150,258

This seems to be a serious topic regarding the real world. Since I have no directive as to what answer will be acceptable here, I have no opinion to state.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 PM
With all due respect

Send a message via Yahoo to fredchabotnick
I believe in evolution, and I believe that it is a theory. A scientitic theory, with all of the discussion and arguments that entails.
It bothers me that "intellegent design" is being tauted as science.
This worries me.

"A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself." - Guildenstern, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead”
Old 10-30-2005, 09:51 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche

Do you believe in Intelligent Design? Or perhaps in Evolution?

And what do you think your kids should be taught in school?

One specific notion, or several?

Are you opposed to mentioning evolution?

Or creationism?

I personally believe in a combination of the two.

That we don't know truly how we happened but that there are people who are working on proving their hypothesis. I believe they should be taught about natural selection.

Several main hypothesis should be discussed. This is a great opportunity for critical thinking and helping students to form their own ideas into beliefs.

Evolution should be mentioned, as it is a belief of many in the scientific/education community.

Creationism should be mentioned, as it is a belief of many in the student's communities.

I think that it is critical to offer students a variety of views regarding many topics. It's not the topics, it's how the participants in the discussions respond and formulate ideas that makes or breaks the lesson. There are ways to conduct these types of discussions/lessons that do not cause alienation or a lack of respect for either view/vantage point.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Quote:
Do you believe in Intelligent Design?

Well, since so-called "Intelligent design" is nothing more than crapola christain dogma dressed up in fancy clothes, no, I don't. I'm not a christain.

Quote:
Or perhaps in Evolution?

Define "believe in". Do you mean, is this good science, backed up y observations and hard evidence? If so, then "belief" is irrelevant

Quote:

We're talking about teaching science. Not religious dogma, whatever the excuse it is. If you wish to teach "intelligent design", the teach the "theory" of the origin of the universe as explained by the doctrine of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. In a comparative religions course, not in a science course.

Quote:
Are you opposed to mentioning evolution? Or creationism?

You can't avoid mentioning evolution. And for those who say it's "only" a theory, WAKE THE FUCK UP YOU MORONIC SHITHEADS! Evolution, as scientific phenomenon, is an OBSERVED FACT. Speciation events have been witnessed by humans, and the continued denial and willful ignorance of this is shit that should be shoved back up the asses of religious fundamentalists where it belongs.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
This seems to be a serious topic regarding the real world. Since I have no directive as to what answer will be acceptable here, I have no opinion to state.

The pumpkin in top of your head seems *much* too big to completely lack thought....on this topic, or any other.

As for me, I do believe in Evolution. I've read Darwin's, and several other scientists', research on this topic. The logic is sound and I do believe in the science behind evolution.

However, I also respect others' religious beliefs and if that requires mitigating discussion of evolution with a caveat regarding "this is a scientific theory" I am OK with that. I do not believe, however, that much bandwidth should be spent on creationism. Mention that it exists and allow the students to get that education at home, or from other classes.

I would, however, advocate a comparative religions class in school. COMPARATIVE religions -- taught as a social science -- might bring alot of understanding about others' beliefs (including Creationism) to the young. When I took such a class in college, it was one of the most thought provoking topics I've ever studied.

As for Intelligent Design....I don't yet se emuch science in the theory. I will suspend disbelief until I know more, or the theory emerges more fully.

Still interested in others' thoughts....

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 PM
Suprise Me

I agree with Lilith. Personal beliefs aside (and yes, I believe in both), there are ways to present all theories whether it be in comparative religion classes, sociology or science. All of these theories, beliefs, scientific fact have a place in student learning as they have a place in our society in one form or another.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
Quote:

I would, however, advocate a comparative religions class in school. COMPARATIVE religions -- taught as a social science -- might bring alot of understanding about others' beliefs (including Creationism) to the young. When I took such a class in college, it was one of the most thought provoking topics I've ever studied.

Now days they offer a variety of classes even in high school that provide students with an opportunity to explore a wide selection of faiths. Often the classes are set up in a compare/contrast type model. I know the one my son is taking currently also explores those faiths through the historical writings of followers. Their summer reading was The Adventures of Ibn Battuta : A Muslim Traveller of the 14th Century Typically they are counted as either a Science or History course in order to allow the students who would most be interested in the class to receive proper credit. There is no Social Science in highschool.

I understand people having strong feelings about their beliefs however encourage dialogue and understanding not further the divide. People who feel contrary to the views emotively expressed may be insulted and proceed to shut you out instead of listening to your views. Becareful that you do not become that which you despise. Closemindedness can be a two way street. It is possible to state your views without slamming the views of others.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01 AM

Do you believe in Intelligent Design?

Are we the product of direct and minute engineering by a vast and powerful extra-universal force who dictated the force and direction of absolutely every sub-atomic particle in the universe? I suspect not, because if it were so, my own independence and self-will becomes void and my ego will not allow that.

Or perhaps in Evolution?

Creation theories of all faiths, theist and animist, are a small window towards gaining understanding of people who come from other cultures.

And what do you think your kids should be taught in school? One specific notion, or several?

Show them the lot so they have some basis for comparison.

Are you opposed to mentioning evolution?

Evolution is a fascinating theory which probably explains much of modern diversity, but most of what is perceived as (and was interpreted by Darwin as being) evolution is not evolution but genetic drift within defined populations. True evolution is claimed to be when a gene sequence buggers up in division, and the organism benefits. Most evolution is either survival neutral or downright bad for it. Yes, they can mention it.

Or creationism?

See above.

The core of the whole question seems to be this "Intelligent Designer" thing. A need to intrude to this level seems a very un-omnipotent thing to do. My God just set a few rules at the beginning and let creation roll. Anyone who still believes in the "physical form of man in God's image" also demeans the absolute majesty of the deity. It is the mind of man which we are told to strive to be more like God.

(Puts up special Oldfart umbrella and waits for rocks to fall.)
Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 AM
Mod with Bite

Send a message via MSN to Fangtasia
I believe in both and believe both should be discussed with children
Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

Science is information about what IS, philosophy is what you DO with it.

Shadows of forgotten ancestors / 1992 Carl Sagan and Ann Deuyan
ISBN 0-394-53481-6

The power of myth / 1988 Joseph Campbell, with Bill Moyers
ISBN 0-385-24773-7

I do not take a course in Aircraft Mechanics with hopes of learning Fine Cake Decorating.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 10-31-2005, 01:12 PM

osuche,

Do you believe in Intelligent Design? Or perhaps in Evolution? I prefer the descriptive abilities of the theory first published by Charles Darwin in The Origin Of Species. I do so primarily because a pre-existing belief is not needed for it to function effectively.

That mutation/variation together with natural selection is the most widely accepted theory that explains evolution.

One specific notion, or several? In any scientific domain, there is usually only one principle paradigm. All others should be referred to as alternatives, and the reasons why they are not the principle should be reviewed.

Are you opposed to mentioning evolution? Or creationism?
Not at all. However, creationism, as it is not falsifiable, is by definition unscientific. It should not be presented as such.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

So the beings of Alpha Centari who munipulated the atoms on Earth to create life is not a form of Intelligent Design? Why leave out this whole area that has not been disproven.