Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 PM
here and there

winXP SP2

I'm in the process of downloading the full install package (266MB!) of service pack 2 for windows XP. I thought I would ask if anyone here has installed it already and what the experience was like... I'll be loading it on the "older" PC first just in case it does not play nice.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM

MilkToast,

I wish you well, but envy you not.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Loungin' Around

Can anyone say "Red Hat" ? LOL

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 08-09-2004, 10:53 PM
here and there

I decided to just run it and see what happened... so far two for two with no issues so far. I'll let these run for a few days on those before I upgrade the main PC here.

PS. if I had to choose Linux I would say "Gentoo"
Old 08-09-2004, 11:30 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Thanks for doing the test run for us MT. I’ll be watching for your reports, but I think you will be OK. I just put in XP and SP1 with this new box I put together a couple months ago. It was a clean install, but everything settled in and just purred from the get-go.

I’m not sure I would be the first in line on release day, but things are MUCH better than when I stood in line for Windows 2.0. lol

If all looks well in a month, I will run all my antiviral checks and be sure I have a healthy system to stick it on. Other than setting a good restore date, do you have any other suggestions before we give it a stab?

What are your thoughts about downloading it to a CD before installing it?

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 PM
I make sexytime with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuche
Can anyone say "Red Hat" ? LOL

Tried Fedora Core 2 at home and RH Enterprise at uni, didn't like 'em that much. I'm a Slacker (ie: I use Slackware), have been for a year or so. Gentoo looks nice but not really worth it without broadband. I'm hoping that one day I'll get time to do the Linux From Scratch thing.
I want to do something that matters
Old 08-09-2004, 11:54 PM
I make sexytime with you

....but back on topic, MT, do you know how much of SP2 includes updates that were already avaliable, and how much is patches that MS held back to be released with SP2?
Old 08-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Prince of Pervs

I'll be downloading SP2 errrr soon although I've been thinking about doing a totally fresh isntall of windows on my main system for a while so I might combine those two things. I'll bung it on my laptop first to check how it runs.

oh and by the way.........Suse linux is my fave.......was never too keen on Redhat only other one I've used is Debian which seems OK but Suse has much friendlier interfaces.....Look out soon for a new version of Suse from Novell they're planning on cutting down some of the 3000 packages that are currently distributed with suse 9.1 pro and taking it down to just the one web browser rather than the current 7!! Which is good cos one of them doesn't even work properly with novell's own website!!!!

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Sarcasm: It's not big and it's not clever...........but it's funny as fuck!

The Special One!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 AM
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
....but back on topic, MT, do you know how much of SP2 includes updates that were already avaliable, and how much is patches that MS held back to be released with SP2?

From everything I have read so far this is really one large security upgrade to the OS. It now has a better built in firewall (though I still use a hardware one), it carries some form of antivirus on board (though I will still use an aftermarket one as well) and it also includes a pop-up blocker for MSIE (which I purposely went to some nasty sites with and seems to work quite well). It also includes a lot of smaller changes to the OS to make it a little less prone to the attacks that these family of operating systems (NT, 200x, and XP) have become so common on. Specifically some memory protection, automatic port closing and some other stuff that is totally over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantyfanatic
What are your thoughts about downloading it to a CD before installing it?

That is exactly what I did. MS recommends that the home user wait unti they release it to them using the windows update method and that the download that is currently available should be used by IT folks. The reason is the size of the download, 266MB, as the windows update version will only select the portions that you specifically need for your PC so it should be less (though I still think it will be a large download). I like having the whole service pack handy incase of reinstall. I can reload the OS as needed and the apply the service pack to it without putting the PC on the network without the benefit of the added security features. Of course I also have a multi-PC network at home and downloading 266MB once and using a CD (or the LAN) to move it from machine to machine makes more sense than downloading what I am guessing will be at least 100MB three or four times.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:41 AM
here and there

Oh yeah... and I meant to add... so far over night and no problems. The only catch so far has been that I need to figure out why Real VNC is not talking to that PC, the built in remote desktop works. I am pretty sure that it is a port that the built in firewall is not allowing a connection on. I now need to read up on that.

PS. Belial, you're right... Gentoo Linux is really more appropriate if you have broadband access. Once you get the precompiled images downloaded and installed it is still nice to have high speed access for all the updates. It does have a very nice package installer though.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:50 AM
I make sexytime with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkToast

PS. Belial, you're right... Gentoo Linux is really more appropriate if you have broadband access. Once you get the precompiled images downloaded and installed it is still nice to have high speed access for all the updates. It does have a very nice package installer though.

Without broadband, the only real viable installation option (at least as far as I remember from when I investigated it) is to install from stage 3 which basically makes it very similar to Slackware. I'd only install Gentoo if I was going to install from stage 1 - or maybe 2. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth switching from Slack.

Also, re: your post about installing the updates on seperate PCs on your LAN, have you considered SUS?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 PM
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
Also, re: your post about installing the updates on seperate PCs on your LAN, have you considered SUS?

No I had not... I'll have to look into it.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:50 PM
~getting by~

I was silly enough to give this upgrade a shot this weekend... after not being able to use my wireless network (adapter and router) and having to plead with my dsl to work for a few minutes between reboots, I did a restore to the point before the download. Life is better now, and some point I will have to read up on it and figure out how to make it work.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:31 PM
here and there

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy
I was silly enough to give this upgrade a shot this weekend... after not being able to use my wireless network (adapter and router) and having to plead with my dsl to work for a few minutes between reboots, I did a restore to the point before the download. Life is better now, and some point I will have to read up on it and figure out how to make it work.

DOH! that sounds painful. At least moving back to the restore point worked for ya...

So far I have been fortunate (or lucky). All home PCs are now upgraded and no casualties so far. Also got the OK for upgrade at work and the laptop and desktop there are done. The laptop is wireless and did not have any issues either there (office) or connecting to my wireless at home.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Pixie since 9/3/2001

Did an install at work with no propblems, except I had to turn off the Firewall. It would not let anything in. Figured a conflict with work network server.