Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Wanting More

"Missing" Student's Sentencing Day...How would you judge?

Today, Audrey Seiler, the 20 year old college sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison appeared here in Dane County circuit court to plead guilty to faking her own abduction. This cost the Madison Police dept. about $90,000 after all was said and done with manpower and expenses.

After claiming that a disassociative episode of depression caused her to use poor judgment by staging this kidnapping hoax, the judge sentenced her to 3 months probation (helping a missing children's organization), and ordered her to pay back only $9,000 of the cost of the police manhunt. Not only did she cause a pricey national stirring of fear and outrage, I feel this case has now been made a mockery with such a light sentence. By lying to police, Audrey was charged with 2 misdemeanors, which the judge agreed to erase from her criminal record if she completes her probation.

In my opinion, she has gotten a very light sentence that almost seems like a slap on the hand. Why not make her spend 5 nights in jail to make up for her 5 missing days, as well as pay a higher restitution to our police department? I think it is great she is helping the missing children's organization for her probation, but this still doesn't seem like enough. Audrey also seemed rather oblivious to the seriousness of these charges and walked into the courtroom in confidence, which doesn't really support her feelings of grief and remorse.

With this happening here in my hometown, it is a subject that everyone is talking about! I just thought I'd ask my fellow pixies...

Do you feel Audrey's sentence was fair, too light, or too heavy? How might you change her punishment?

Old 07-01-2004, 07:58 PM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
i think it would depend on a few factors. has she had previous nefarious episodes, including any juvie record? does she truly have depression (has she been diagnosed perhaps) or was that claim just a ploy for a lighter sentence? but if she's basically a good kid (and most 20yr olds are still kids...rash and shortsighted) i would say it's close to fair. the only things i'd do differently: 1. not remove this from her record. 2. extend her volunteer work for as long as it would take to accrue a salary that would equal what she cost the state.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose
Old 07-01-2004, 11:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
I remember watching this,on TV,when it happened.At the time,the
police didn't know that it was a hoax.They were searching the surrounding area,with drawn weapons.I say "throw the book at her".Suppose some kids,mother or father,didn't come home,
because they were shot by a nervous fellow officer.I heard,on the
radio,today,that she had a previous history.Your juvenile record,
cannot be brought up.I had a juvinile arrest(15)& was told so by my juvenile probation officer. Irish
P.S.My $.02.
P.P.S.When this 20yr old was just a kid,I already had been in the
Armed Forces for 3 yrs.I graduated High School at 17.I was
honorably discharged at 21,with 4yrs served.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Banned

Was she the girl who tried to pin the blame on an ex?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:44 PM

Steph---I don't know if she tried to pin it on him,but he was a suspect! Irish
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

I remember reading about one girl who phoned this poor guy a lot and left weird notes.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Everybody Stretch!

I'm in agreement with wyndhy. I'm not familiar with the medical part of the case and I just hate the thought of using the "depression defense" so lightly. Also, does she have a regular job? Live at home with her parents? Is it her parents who will ultimately end up paying the fines? She needs to know that what she did was so wrong on many levels...and they should extend her sentence till she's worked off the full cost of the case.

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 07-02-2004, 06:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Grumble
mmmmmmmmm it is difficult to make a proper assessment with out knowing the full facts.

it is generally the course of the courts to be more lenient with first offenders and rightly so. Young people can do stupid and rash things without realising the seriousness of their actions and the consequences. It is better to give the kid a chance to see the error of their ways and have a chance to learn and grow from it rather than crush them.

To a college student $9000 is a huge amount of money and will take a lot of toil to pay off. There is also the community sevice aspect. It will impact very seriously on this girl for some time.

The ability to pay is a consideration when fines are imposed.

I would consider the sentence a little on the harsh side considering her age and present earning capacity.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:43 AM
Mrs FussyPucker

This is a tricky on ewithout a doubt, but I have to ask: would a rapist be expected to pay for the amount of police dollars spent on tracking him down?

Because if not, then why should this, obviously disturbed woman be expected to pay more than a token amount to the police for a far less serious crime? I believe that the punishment should fit the crime, and by that I mean it should be a punishment that would prevent the person re-offending, and give some recompense to the victim.

I personally feel that the sentence they've given her will do far more to rehabilitate her, than 5 nights in prison, which I suggest would be more of a punishment to the girl's family, who've already been through enough.

Prison isn't the answer to every crime, and an obvious cry for attention deserves a little more understanding, care and acknowledgement than that which prison would give her - in my opinion, of course.

M Y - N A U G H T Y - P I C T U R E S ! !
Old 07-02-2004, 06:59 AM

Loulabelle---In the case of a rapist,they would have actually raped someone.This was a hoax,that put many peoples lives
(unneccessalily(sp?))at risk.I take this seriously because,my father
(deceased)was a Conn.State Cop & also an aux.Town Policeman.
As a kid,I saw the unnecessary crap,that policeman go thru,because someone is playing games.I don't know about now,
but then cops worked,untold # of hours per week. Irish
P.S.One of those cops,could have shot or injured another,because
of being overtired or stressed!
P.P.S.Just my $.02,from having seen it.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:55 AM
is not this trim anymore!

The prisons are full enough, and it would cost us even more money to keep her incarcerated. I think they shcould've given her a longer probationary period and stipulated a psych evaluation, but the restitution is enough to sting while not burying her in debt.

For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.

Complete surrender should not just come at moments in which one faces overwhelming odds, but in the calm when it seems one is personally in complete control of one's life.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:45 PM
~getting by~

I followed this case pretty closely as it unfolded and have read the full criminal complaint that was filed. She is very disturbed emotionally and has much to deal with. And everytime she tells her story it changes quite a great deal. Having been from the area this happened in, I really think she got off quite light, but I'm not really surprised given the rather liberal environment in Madison.

Given her status as a student (if she returns in the fall), I would venture to say that her family will be bearing the financial burden of her mistake. Which doesn't seem quite right.

And I definitely do not agree with her record being cleared.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Quote:
Originally posted by maddy
Given her status as a student (if she returns in the fall), I would venture to say that her family will be bearing the financial burden of her mistake. Which doesn't seem quite right.

And I definitely do not agree with her record being cleared.

Here here! I don't like playing "sideline judge and jury" but this girl seems awfully manipulitive and I just can't shake the feeling that her "depression" is so convenient for her case. Also...liars have a hard time keeping their stories straight...ergo, the reason hers might change so drastically and so often!

If they clear her record...is it like deleting ones history in a computer? It's still in there but just has to be searched for at a deeper level. I ask because if she does something like this in the future...she'll have the knowledge of her past wrongs but no one else will. Well...no one but those who remember this case. It's not like she is a juvenile. They shouldn't be able to clear her record! What she did was very wrong and she should be reminded of it at every turn! I don't agree that it was a youngster doing a rash and stupid prank. Even though it wasn't as well thought out as she thought it was (the security camera caught her going into the room alone and of her own free will) I think if she hadn't been caught she would have perpetuated this till the day she died! Sick? Yes! She needs help with self esteem...not a clear record!

P.S. I agree with Irish's statement to Loulabelle, that a rapist actually committed the crime. No one kidnapped this girl. She tried to dupe everyone!

~Thomas Dewar~
Old 07-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Thumbs up

Lixy---Thanks for proving my point!I had,completely, forgotten
about the Security camera.Around here,they played, the tape,
from it MANY times. Irish
Old 07-03-2004, 09:09 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

I have to agree with Irish on his point Lou. The safety forces are there and paid for to do the job of apprehension in the same way as fire fighters are there to fight fires. When ¼ million $ men, equipment and system are purposely activated on false pretext, it’s another situation and a very costly waste of somebody else’s money. I also agree with Grumble and WildIrish that the idea is not to bury her OR the family with hopeless debt. The restitution was just in my opinion.

With the thousands of 20 year olds in Iraq today, I can’t accept her being considered a “juvenile”. And that answers what to do with her record.

Perhaps tying her probation and community work with missing persons programs to the FULL repayment of the $9K, (ONLY from wages the community work would pay, NOT payable by the parents) would provide incentive to reflect AND get it put behind her. I would only add that she also be on call from the coroner’s office to work with body recovery of actual victims.

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world