Smile

Scarecrow---I appreciate that.By way of explaination,a spotter
is someone,who looks thru a spotting scope or binoculars,&
lets you know where your hits are,usually when you are either
sighting in a scope or in a competition!People don't realise it,but
alot of time&ammunition,goes into sighting a weapon! Irish
Old 07-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Loungin' Around

It seems to me that we spend a lot of time saying that we have too much violence and murder in our society...and I am not certain that we send the right message to our kids about what is right and proper if we...

1. Put bounties on people's heads
2. Spend millions of dollars to assassinate a few people (these bombs don't come cheap)
3. Brag about our good work

(((thought I'd stir the pot again)))))

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 07-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Bastard of Member

Send a message via Yahoo to skipthisone
I never say we have too much violence in this country, I dont complain about something we are way too unwilling to do the right things to stop.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:58 AM
here and there

Quote:
Originally posted by osuche
It seems to me that we spend a lot of time saying that we have too much violence and murder in our society...and I am not certain that we send the right message to our kids about what is right and proper if we...

1. Put bounties on people's heads
2. Spend millions of dollars to assassinate a few people (these bombs don't come cheap)
3. Brag about our good work

(((thought I'd stir the pot again)))))

I need to think about this a little more and then will likely put another reply in.

I agree that children need to be taught that violence is not the best solution to things, but I also believe that children need to be taught that they will be held responsible for their actions. I think that if message two is understood then it becomes clear that any form of unwarranted violence is not acceptable.

In the case of the two Hussein boys, well... I want the world and any little kid to undestand that if you grow up to treat people like they did you are going to have the sky falling in on you one day. They payed a fair price for what they did.

I'm not a violent person, I have never been in a real physical altercation in my life. But if given a rifle and the option of letting the Hussein brothers live, I would expend the two rounds very quickly and not feel at all bad about it.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Suprise Me

I have had mixed feelings about this from the beginning.

While I support our troops and the decision to go to war, I couldn't help but feel that perhaps the boundries have been overstepped. Yes, we are a nation that is very powerful and it is our "duty" to insure that the world's people are treated right, however, at what expense did this occur?

The lose of life, the misconception that the USA is a big bully, the troubles here at home... the financial state of the American people with unemployment, high cost of living, terror in our own schools & communities, the list goes on....

I am glad that Saddam's sons were killed.. and a big part of me wish that it hadn't been so quick - that they could have suffered as they made others suffer - and as a person that makes me sad. The only reason that I am glad about it is because perhaps there may be an end to this in sight? I am not so sure.. I believe that it will continue as the USA has shown the world that we will continue as we are.... call for help, we will find SOME reason to run to that country with aid....... because there will be other Saddam's.....

But my underlying feelings are this.... what about here at home? What about the people of the USA? Perhaps I am a little selfish with that remark, I don't know, but I can't help but feel that way....

Old 07-24-2003, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Irish Send a message via Yahoo to Irish
Cool

As far as the economy goes,the way that I look at it is,that it doesn't matter if you make a million$,a year,if someone takes it
away from you.I have always figured,that if you let someone,walk
on you,once.They will think that they can do it again.Therefore,
you,don't let them do it once.This is the REAL world,not the
world that we would like! Irish
P.S.Motto: Do unto others as they would do unto you, only do
it to
them first!
Old 07-24-2003, 08:07 PM
Lusting Horny Pixie

Today, I looked at the pics without any feeling of pity or remorse... the amount of pain and suffering that they caused will never be erased.. but now we can rest assured that NO ONE on EARTH will ever be directly tortured by either one of them again...

alas tho... they are only 2 of many... I am a big believer that altho this earth will certainly always have "evil" it is our duty as human beings to rid the earth of as many of them as we can... on to the next one... hopefully Osama or Sadam....
Old 07-24-2003, 09:37 PM
yada, yada, yada

Send a message via Yahoo to darogle
In regards to the orgy of media coverage of the whole affair, I am against it. I do believe that showing the pictures to the Iraqi citizens was necessary. They had to have some degree of closure to the nightmare that has befallen them at the hands of these two thugs. They lived in such fear that many still cannot believe that they are gone.

But do I think that the news media in this country had to go to such lengths to dissect and exploit the coverage to up their ratings? No I do not. The restaint the media showed in not visibly drooling at showing the pictures over and over was feeble at best. Tabloid journalism at its worst.

That being said, I am a veteran. I know what our troops are going through over there. And I support them 1000%! There cause is just and their resolve is stronger than you can imagine. Saddam's regime HAD to be removed for the good of the Iraqi people, for the mid-east region and the world as a whole. This is a regime that has an undisputed history of attacking other countries, of supporting terrorism, of killing its own citizens, of mocking every peaceful attempt to make them comply with UN resolutions, and reveled in its own brutality.

I have been disheartened by peoples claims that no great show of evidence has been brought forth of Saddams WMDs. Was there ever any doubt of this? He used them on his own people! Every weapons inspector in Iraq knew he had them. They saw them. They watched as he repeatedly denied them access to the sites where they thought they were hidden. It doesn't take much to figure out what he was hiding. Then he expelled them from the country when they became too much of a bother to him.

President Clinton believed he had WMDs so strongly he ordered several missle strikes against Iraq. But now, it's unbelievable to Bush's opponants that Saddam had WMD because he said 16 words in a speech? Crimony!

Lest we not forget that this was not even the ONLY arguement for use of force. We must also remember that Saddam also brutalized his own people, threatened the security of the region, ignored UN mandate for 12 years, refused diplomatic measures, supported terrorism, stole food and medical supplies from his people that was meant for them under the food for oil program, used hospitals, mosques and schools as military storage and bunkers....and on and on.

Do not greive or be disheartened by the death of Uday and Qusay. They were murderers, rapists, torturers, kidnappers and sadists. They opened fire on our troops. They tried to kill us and we responded appropriately in response. I was appalled when I heard people on the news stating "well, we should have just captured them"! These are people that I guarantee you have never been shot at! That is not the way a firefight works. I know that each and every one of the troops there would have preferred a peacefull capture of them also. But Saddam's boys chose their path. Justice has been served.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflower

We are talking the bottom of the barrell guys.. men who TORTURE, rule, terrorize and rape people on a daily basis. We are talking complete arrogant egotistical fanatics..

I hope they enjoyed their E Ride to HELL...

Its ironic. Heuissain is being tried for the deaths of about 130 people. Bush should have on his conscious about 32,000 deaths so far. But he does'nt. As "my" president, he has failed miserably to represent my ideals.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Loungin' Around

Wow, Kendall! Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

This war certainly has caused a lot of dissent in America, and globally.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 12-31-2005, 08:46 PM

Saddam is being tried for a drop in the bucket of misery and death the B'aath Party caused Iraq,

but it's a nice clear-cut drop which should see him locked away forever.

It's a bit like Capone going down on Tax fraud.

Bush's foray into Iraq was ill conceived, but it was an attempt to do the right thing and

ensure Middle Eastern stability.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Just me.

A pretty good write-up on what crimes Saddam is believed to have been involved in is found ...

http://www.mediamonitors.net/mosaddeq1.html

The article is by Nafeez Mosaddeq Ahmed, "... a political analyst and human rights activist based in London. He is Director of the Institute for Policy Research & Development and a Researcher at the Islamic Human Rights Commission."

The article discusses a lot of the alleged offenses by Saddam, although, I doubt all. This was truly an evil man. Whether you were for the war or against it ... there really isn't much doubt that Saddam had really no socially redeeming value.

To be sure, there are good arguments to be made both ways about the war, it's conduct, and the aftermath. That discussion is good and doesn't have to be filled with hate.

I'm not really sure the war was really ill-conceived, although anticipation of the fanatical extremist reactions after the war wasn't as well planned for as it probably should have been. Of course post WWII in Germany also faced fanatical Nazis for a while although we seldom hear about that.

Anyway, I seem to recall that a major part of the US discussion on initiating the war, was that the United Nations had for years been paying lip service to sanctions and that if the UN was to mean anything, it needed to enforce the sanctions it advocated. The Security Council passed resolution after resolution that did nothing. They apparently didn't even care that most or a lot of the oil funds that were to provide food and aid to the people were being siphoned off ... to enrich Saddam and his cohorts and to pay corrupt UN officials and others who thought it was an easy way to bilk money.

I know that concern over WMD was part of the reason for the attack on Iraq, but it wasn't the only reason and I don't really think it was even THE major reason. And, I think we forget that the UN, France, Germany, Russia, the UK and many others also believed Iraq was working on obtaining these weapons. In fact, I don't recall anyone seriously doubting he at least had chemical and biological weapons. It wasn't just the US that thought this. Many still think Iraq was working on these, but sent the technology out of the country when the attack appeared intimate (Syria being mentioned most often as the recipient of these things).

I think it's fascinating to talk to troops returning from Iraq. We see the headlines of people dying, but, the men I've talked to said the vast majority of the country isn't that way (they say 75% plus) and that most of the people they've met are grateful for being liberated. Most recently, a guy I know returned for two weeks before returning to Iraq, and he noted he was surprised by US coverage of the war. It sounded to him like the coverage was about someplace else. There was nothing about the schools, hospitals, road and infrastructure improvements that had been made; the assumption of local governmental units of their responsibilities in governing their people, etc. No doubt he'll be glad to get home to his family and friends, but he was actually looking forward to the rest of his tour of duty there. He talked about visiting Ur on a weekend pass and seeing where Abraham is reported to have been born. Abraham is revered by Muslims, Christians and Jews. He hopes to get to Babylon before he finally comes home. He said it's a marvelous country filled with friendly and good people who are excited by their liberation. It's only one person's view, of course, but it sure wasn't the same as our media portrays.

Last edited by dicksbro : 01-01-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Ethical Epicurean

Send a message via AIM to lakritze Send a message via Yahoo to lakritze
I tend to agree with you Osuche.What we all seem to forget is; while Saddam Hussein was still Iraq's leader,there was still some stability in that area. His government was secular and as we found out,had no WMD.If we had any real leadership in this country,we could have worked within that frame. Don't get me wrong,Hussein was a real nut case and much of what we know about him is true.Hs two sons were a couple of ass holes who should have been lined up nut to butt and shot using one bullit. I am of the belief that Saddam was captured several months before by a trible lord who's daughter had been brutelly raped by these two jerks,he was then drugged {opium?} and turned over to the Americans.After our attack and occupation of Iraq,just look at how we are viewed by the middle east and the rest of the world.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:14 PM

Saddam Hussein

…on regional stability:

According to Palestinian Arab Liberation Front figures, his government actively supported the Palestinian intifada, and paid $25,000 to families of suicide bombers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2846365.stm

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002...7004766310.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4294502.stm

The Iran: Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988) began on Sept. 22, 1980, with an Iraqi land and air invasion of western Iran. Approximately 1,000,000 casualties.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0825449.html

http://projects.sipri.se/cbw/resear...sheet-1984.html

…on a secular government:

His government opened hundreds of new mosques in the country and established a major new theological school called Saddam University. Mr. Hussein set out to create the largest mosque ever built – and had it named after him.

http://www.usip.org/pubs/specialreports/sr108.html

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0520/p10s01-woiq.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...dad-mosques.htm

opinions of ordinary Iraqis following the removal of Saddam Hussein from power:

… 2004 “Most Iraqis are happier than they were before the US-led invasion, a nationwide opinion poll suggests.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3514504.stm

… 2005 “The latest survey of opinion in Iraq shows a degree of optimism at variance with the usual depiction of the country as one in total chaos.”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4511688.stm
Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 AM
watchin you wiggle

Send a message via AIM to wrestlemark
Angry different points of view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall.
Its ironic. Heuissain is being tried for the deaths of about 130 people. Bush should have on his conscious about 32,000 deaths so far. But he does'nt. As "my" president, he has failed miserably to represent my ideals.

thats what we have and thats why we are in america in the former iraq you would have been shot or tortured by their "president" the hussien trial is discusing ONE of the charges against him there are hundreds he was exterminating kurds like hitler did the jews, did you forget about that??????? MY president had the balls to do something after 9/11 maybe bill was YOUR president the cia called him and asked for an ok to shoot osama bin laden walking across a flat region they knew it was him!!!!!!!!! bill was playing golf wouldn't stop and give them an ok........thus 9/11 think about it !!!!!

Last edited by wrestlemark : 01-05-2006 at 10:47 AM.