Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

What I'm on about:
‘To give some scale to what has happened here so far, international media outlets have been reporting the 2018 California fires burnt 2 million acres; the 2019 Amazon fires 2.2 million; and the 2019 Siberian fires 6.7 million.

So far Australia's 2019/20 fires have burnt 12 million acres.’

That's about 4.8M hectares. Or, say about the combined size of Wales and Belgium.

And from 2 days ago:
Premier Daniel Andrews has declared a State of Disaster for six Local Government Areas and the Alpine Resorts, after considering advice from the Minister for Police and Emergency Services and the Emergency Management Commissioner.

The Premier is satisfied there is an emergency that constitutes, or is likely to constitute, a significant and widespread danger to life or property in the following part of Victoria:

East Gippsland Shire
Mansfield Shire
Wellington Shire
Wangaratta Rural Shire
Towong Shire
Alpine Shire
Mount Buller
Mount Hotham
Mount Stirling Alpine Resorts

Conditions are expected to deteriorate from tomorrow and the Government’s priority is the safety of Victorians.

A state of disaster:

May be declared to exist in the whole, or parts, of Victoria
Exists immediately upon the making of the declaration and remains in force for seven days (unless another declaration is made)
Can be revoked or varied by the Premier at any time.

The declaration gives the Government, through the Minister for Emergency Services, the powers and resources it needs to keep Victorians safe.

Examples of the Minister’s broad power to direct and allocate government resources include:

Directing any government agency to do, or refrain from doing, any function, power, duty, or responsibility
Declaring that the operation of an Act or subordinate instrument is suspended, if compliance by a government agency with that legislation would inhibit response to or recovery from the disaster
Take possession and make use of any person’s property to respond to the disaster
Controlling movement in and out of the disaster area and
Compelling the evacuation of persons from the disaster area or any part of it.

This is the first time the Victorian Government has used these powers since they were included in the Emergency Management Act 1986 following the devastating Victorian Bushfires in 2009.

The NSW Government has already declared a state of Emergency, giving sweeping powers to compel evacuation etc.

The ACT Government is still on a state of Alert, one step lower, HOWEVER... all postal services have been suspended and all post offices closed due to the bizarre amount of smoke pollution. Currently around 2000, down from 5000 yesterday. 200+ is rated "Hazardous Extreme", everyone should stay indoors unless they have a protection factor 400 respirator, the kind used in fallout zones, cleaning up asbestos, etc. Good disposable respirators have a protection factor of 20, up to 40 if brand new and perfectly fitted. Those who are elderly, have heart disease or asthma should stay inside if AQI is above 69.

A dry, cold front from Antarctica is pushing the high pressure air mass from above the Simpson Desert eastward into South Australia, then shortly thereafter, Victoria, Canberra, and SE NSW. Forecast is for strong, dessicating 45C winds, 40-50 kmh gusting to 70kmh, and veering direction unpredictably.

Things are going to get a little busy in 24 hours. After that, the smoke situation in Canberra is going to worsen drastically, as at best we will have uncontainable megafires to North, South, East and West, possibly for months to come.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:15 AM
Just me.

No doubt about it, our friends in Australia are dealing with a catastrophe of enormous magnitude. Prayers and good wishes go out to all who are caught in this maelstrom of drought and fire. Lets pray or hope that soon they will receive the rain they so desperately need to bring these blazes under control.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:51 PM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

That's about the only thing that will help, but January-February is the brushfire season there, so it's likely to get worse.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:04 AM

Dat Australia thing is shore bad, ain't it?

By da way, I got me self a new AV, ya' like it?
Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Like the new Av, Goofy, fer shur.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 AM
Just me.

Yeah, Goofy … I do like the new AV.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:07 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

I was in the emergency room with my wife until 3 in the morning Tuesday. Turns out she has a nasty infection, not (as we feared) a blood clot.

However, while I was there, I got a text from my girlfriend T, saying that her mother had died.

Fuck the new year.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Causer of Unrest

I'm so sorry to hear that, GG. Hugs all around.

My photo threads...

Latest: Cool April Morning

XXXII XXXIII XXXIV XXXV XXXVI XXXVII XXXVIII XXXIX

Stories
Thank You, Come Again / Robyn's Roommate / Seamus, Charlotte, and the Showgirl / God, It's Good to Be Queen

"I walk with my head held high and naked in the sun, claiming these streets for myself."--Jonatha Brooke
Old 01-09-2020, 03:57 AM
Just me.

Me, too, gg. Maybe the year will turn around and end up not too bad.

Hope your wife is doing better and sorry for your friend's loss. Was her mom very elderly?
Old 01-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Dag nab it. I shore do hate to hears dem bad things gg. I'll echo gigi and DB and wish yuz mom well and quick to get better. So sorry to hears about yous friends loss, too.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Neither the death of N, C's mother, nor the death of B, T's mother, was unexpected.
N had diabetes, major circulation issues throughout her leg, chronic low blood pressure as a result. I think what killed her (though I don't know details for sure) was heart failure due to circulatory system collapse.
B had cancer, and the chemo was making her more ill, so it is no surprise that the cancer just overwhelmed her immune system.
The mammal I married is doing distinctly better, lot of the swelling in her leg has gone down, the seriously heavy duty course of antibiotics is doing the trick there.
Oh, the offspring unit went in today to see what the heart monitor she's been wearing for the past two weeks says. EKG and all that. She gets the treadmill test for her birthday next month.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:42 AM
Just me.

Thanks for the update. Our prayers will continue for your wife and our prayers will continue for N and B and their families. God bless!
Old 01-15-2020, 02:34 AM

Like DB, I sending my best wishes, too.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

I'm off to the MVA today to realize my "Real ID".
Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 AM
Just me.

Hope it's not as cold there as it is here. B-r-r-r-r!