Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > General Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 12:42 AM
empathic sensual wannabe

Thumbs up Eyes Wide Shut: Review

Ok I think I see the point of this film. It was a commentary about the reality we make versus the actuality of our sexual drive.

How we see the fleeting moments that love brings. Contrasted against the reality of sex drive. Yet at the same time compared. With additional commentary about gender roles aren't what they seem.

The meaning of the term "Eyes Wide Shut" is the reality of this underlying theme that is constantly denied in day to day social life. But it is ignored conciously.

Though I think the acting was somewhat "missing". I believe Kubrick purposely made the actors "over" act in the reality to help draw our attention to these small movements and acts we do everyday that really our just part of a giant play. In example, when the doctor and piano friend slap each others arms. The exageration present there was purposely to show again the "fakeness" of the moment. Versus when the masked woman tries to warn him later, or when he (and she) admit their guilt. It's to show the reality of our desires which even love can never withold.

There was also that whole idea of the ambiguity in the end where the confront each others desires. The consensus was if hers was just a dream. Then his escapades where also as innocent. However, if her dreams siginified more, than the party he attended was much more dark and sinister.

I believe Kubrick made these points apparent. But why was it greeted with such a lukewarm reception?