User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2005, 02:26 PM
Everybody Stretch!

¿¿¿-NFL Assistance-¿¿¿

OK...here's the deal...

I am so damn competitive and it nearly always get's me in deeper than I want to be.

Just at the end of the pre-season NFL games I happened upon a conversation between a few male co-worker's in which they were discussing who they should ask to join the workplace football pool. As I walked by I heard one guy say that I (Lixy) probably wouldn't want to do it cause I've never participated any other year. He then went on to say that most women don't really understand football as well as men do. I spun on my heel and approached the chuckle fest and glared directly into the jingoistic face of the proclaimer of all knowing! (try to imagine the face I had on when I approached him...something like this ---->)

I told him that, yes, it was true that I hadn't participated in the previous pools of years gone by. I told him I DO KNOW AND UNDERSTAND THE GAME!!!! I further explained that I hadn't watched football in over 17 years because after I divorced my first husband I didn't care if I ever saw another sporting event and more specifically...NFL FOOTBALL! (<---it was quite a problem in my first marriage...but that's another story)!

~~~INTERMISSION~~~

Time to go potty and get that cold drink you are dying for. This is a Lixy thread...and you came in knowing that...so you are now stuck! Admission is free...YOU PAY TO GET OUT!

~~~END INTERMISSION~~~

I went on to tell him I'll take his challenge and prove him sooooooooooooo wrong that he has to make a bet of the biggest magnitude he's ever betted. I didn't want money. I want him to drop to his knees and kiss my shoes (in front of all who I told of his proclaimation and are participating in the pool) when I win the pool at work! In turn...if I lose...I have to do the same. I still have time to up the ante on that bet...so any new ideas will be greatly appreciated! *giggle* Make him suffer peeps!

Anyway...Mr. Lixy doesn't watch football (bless him's wittle heart and soul...tis why I love him...well, one of the reasons anyway)...and so I can't rely on his input (except in the bedroomm...but I digress!). So I come to my other family for a request of fair assistance.

Here's my plan...

I get the pool every Monday. I still don't watch the games so I rely on stats and such from websites I have bookmarked. Yes...I do my homework! I check stats and standings, I consider home team advantage and circumstances of the like, I get a few predictions from sports writers and professional betting sites and I keep close tabs on injuries and additions to a team. I understand the game pretty well...but due to not having watched a single game since the Rams were still in Los Angeles, I don't know all the players and their quirks and advantages.

Here's the match-up for this weekend and Monday night and my picks for said teams...

TEAMS MY PICKS

Houston@Cincinnati Cincinnati
Philadelphia@Kansas City Kansas City (I know! But the injuries, no?)
Indianapolis@Tennessee Indianapolis
Detroit@Tampa Bay Tampa Bay
Seattle@Washington Seattle
Denver@Jacksonville Jacksonville
San Diego@New England New England
Buffalo@New Orleans Buffalo
St Louis@NY Giants NY Giants (YIKES! I closed my eyes to pick!)
NY Jets@Baltimore Baltimore
Dallas@Oakland Oakland
Minnesota@Atlanta Atlanta

San Fran Cisco@Arizona San Fran

Monday Night
Green Bay@Carolina Carolina

^^^Hope that comes out as typed!

OK...I just checked on "Preview Post" and it doesn't read exactly as typed...but you get the gist...eh?

What I'm asking from you (fellow Pixies) is input when I pick my teams. Tell me why you think I picked a shitty pick. Tell me why you think I picked a good pick. I know there'll be some bias on the basis of home team loyalty...but try and be realistic when you explain your reasons. I'm not asking you to help me cheat! I'm just furthering my knowledge base from some of the most sports savvy peeps I've ever known! I'll post in this thread after I've picked my teams (usually Wednesday or Thursday of every week)...and then sit back and hope to see a reply or two before I hand in my final pool. I hand it in on Friday of every week.

What do you say? Care to give me your Wednesday/Thursday night armchair low-down?

OK...you can go and figure your dogmatic pontification now! Thanks guys!

XXXOOO

P.S. I should add my standings to date...

Week 1 - 10 of 14
Week 2 - 5 of 14
Week 3 - 11 of 14
Week 4 - *above*

Total correct to date - 26
Not bad for a woman...eh? *grrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Chauvanist co-worker's standings to date...

Week 1 - 5 of 14
Week 2 - 8 of 14 (it was a fluke...all the teams went topsy turvy!!)
Week 3 - 10 of 14
Week 4 - He said we only have 2 different picks and I can't remember what teams he said were different. Hmmmmmmmmm........

Total correct to date - 23

P.P.S. If the mods feel this thread should be in the Advice Forum...please feel free to move it and then please PM me of the move. TY so much!

~Thomas Dewar~

Last edited by LixyChick : 10-01-2005 at 03:00 PM.