Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Resurfacing

Traveling Alone

My mother has family in Spain and I was seriously considering going there for about 7-10 days. Although I personally wouldn't mind traveling alone, I can't help wonder if this is a smart/safe idea for a 22y.o. female to discover and travel around a country like Spain *alone*. While they live in Madrid, I also wanted to visit other cities and possibly go to Portugal. Has anyone had much experience traveling alone internationaly? Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Mama Mia!

I wouldn't go alone, Cassiopeia, just as a safety precaution...Just my personal opinion. I never travel alone, even nationally. It just isn't a good idea. Don't you have a friend you can take with you? I'm a bit nervous about even going to the airport alone...

It's a BOY!!
Old 01-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Loungin' Around

I've gone alone on day trips, etc...but usually I had a "safe" place to come back home to at night. where someone would notice if I didn't show up. It's also nice to have an auto in such situations, so you feel like you can "get outta dodge" if you need to.

Ideally, I'd sign up for some tours (I am sure there are tour companies) and not go too far off of the beaten path. Nor would I stay out too late.

If you are on public transit, some systems are very safe (I was on the Berlin Underground at midnight and felt fine), but others are dicey. Ask the local WOMEN what they do.

Of course, maybe you can co-opt your family on taking you to some cool places. Isn't that what family is for??? Good luck, either way.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Old 01-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Resurfacing

Thanks, Cherrypie. Everyone that I would want to travel with probably couldn't b/c of work, school, or no money. Plus, I enjoy spending time alone so the alone alone part doesn't bother me. The only times I've traveled alone were when I eventually met a friend, family member, etc at the destination. The issue of safety is the only thing keeping me back.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Resurfacing

Thanks for the great ideas, Osuche. I'll look into tours and talk to my mom's family more about traveling around Spain and safety issues.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:26 PM
a-dick-ted to oz

Send a message via Yahoo to kathy1
Cassiopeia, thanks for starting a great thread. I'm gonna be doing some long distance traveling soon, and these are things I hadn't even considered. Even though there will be someone to meet me at the final destination, there's still lots of distace twist here and there. I'll gladly take any advice that pixies offer.....this is my first time traveling abroad too, so anything i need to know that may seem like a given to you guys, is alllllll virgin territory to me. And this thread makes me realize that. Fill me and Cassiopeia in on stuff we need to know.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Mama Mia!

I'm with Kathy in this situation, I'll be traveling abroad (alone till I get there) too, soon....

It's a BOY!!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:27 PM
a-dick-ted to oz

^^^^ geez, maybe we shoulda booked a pixies group grope package LOL
Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM
~Imaginary lover~

Send a message via MSN to cowgirltease Send a message via Yahoo to cowgirltease
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia
Thanks, Cherrypie. Everyone that I would want to travel with probably couldn't b/c of work, school, or no money. Plus, I enjoy spending time alone so the alone alone part doesn't bother me. The only times I've traveled alone were when I eventually met a friend, family member, etc at the destination. The issue of safety is the only thing keeping me back.

Take a cell phone with you.. and listen to osuche.
There is no reason for you not to get out and see the world.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Loungin' Around

You can rent an international tri-band phone from many places in the US. I agree this is a good idea...do an internet search and see what is available in your area. Please note that traditional US cell phones will NOT work in Europe -- they use a different system (as does Japan, for some reason...makes it so I sometimes have to have 3 phones...but that's another matter).

Buy guidebooks in English, and take along a pocket-sized language book for the local language. It's amazing how helpful the locals will be, if you try and meet them partway by learning a few basic words.

Depending on where you go, the men might be a little more aggressive than you are used to. I experienced this in Italy, although I don't remember Spain being particularly bad. I mention this because (depending ont he local customs) a man whistling at you or walking behind you saying something suggestively might not be as threatening in Italy as it is in the US...it's culturally more "normal." Ask your family some questions, and use your instincts....they are seldom wrong.

I recommend you take some pepper spray also. Pack it in your checked luggage, because security screening WILL take it if it is on a carry-on....but it should assist while on the mainland.

I think men talk to women so they can sleep with them and women sleep with men so they can talk to them. ~ Jay McInerney

Last edited by osuche : 01-23-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Southern Belleified

As someone who has been around a fair bit let me say this.

Cell phones do not work in all areas. Get a phone card that bills to your home account. You can get one before you leave.
Do not carry MACE or Pepper spray as in some areas this is not legal to have. Such as Australia.
Be aware of beggars and pickpockets. In Euro most bank cash machines have a beggar parked by them I found.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM
a-dick-ted to oz

^^^^^Will you be my personal bodyguard?
Old 01-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Loungin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch22

Do not carry MACE or Pepper spray as in some areas this is not legal to have. Such as Australia.

True. In many places (including some in Europe) they are not legal. However, it's highly unlikely that your luggage will be searched when going thru customs. So....no one will know unless you need to use it. And if you HAVE to use it, I'd spray first and apologize to the authorities later.

Better a small fine (which is unlikely if you have a real situation on your hands) than rape, death, or robbery....IMHO

Old 01-23-2005, 05:36 PM

I think my mate and I have become past masters at trans-atlantic travel the last few years. I'm not gonna be able to put all the possible tips here, but if there's anything in particular you want to know about please PM me.

The best tips we've developed for folks coming to visit and continue on to Europe are pretty simple. For family about to fly, I go out and buy them the softest, cuddliest scarf I can find. It's a wonder on a flight. Easy to stuff under your feet, can help keep you warm, can be draped over eyes if too bright, or bunched up for use as either a pillow or lumbar pillow. And it's not bulky or heavy. Third to a bottle of water and a long book, it's the best thing I've ever flown with. If you've got money to burn, my mate loves his noise suppression headphones, passive ones are cheaper and work pretty well.

Pack light, if you're forcing your bag closed already you've got too much stuff. You'll want that space for goodies on the way back. And some of those goodies can be clothes, which fixes all wardrobe problems (as well as potentially making you look less like an American tourist). Expandable bags are great, but it's not as expandable as you might think....it's never enough for me, I know .

I don't know about Spain or Portugal, but there are phones you can buy in the UK for literally £10. You have to buy top up cards, and pay for calls as you go, and they're the most BASIC phones. But they're perfect for a week long trip here.

I've traveled all over western europe on my own, and never had a problem with feeling unsafe. I will admit that I don't have late nights when I'm on my own...I'm usually safe back in my hotel or B&B before 10, but I've been all over London at odd hours of night and not felt the least unsafe. The continent, though, I'm less secure though...hence my early nights.

Rick Steeves suggests that you can travel anywhere easily provided that you learn to say yes, no, please, thank you, excuse me, and the words for the numbers 1 through 10. I've actually found that to be pretty close to accurate, although I always have a small dictionary with me for menus and asking directions, etc. I'd add the word "enough" to that list. If it's just a level of attention that's normal in the country but which isn't what an American is comfortable with, guys WILL mostly back off if you make it clear you're not interested.

My sister's tip is to go out and buy a cheap, gold colored ring for a woman traveling alone. You really are less likely to be hassled if someone thinks you've got a husband just round the corner.

If you can't drive a stick, learn...or make sure you can rent an automatic where you're planning to get your car. You've got to work hard, at least in England, to FIND an automatic car. In England, while I'm on it, your US licence is good for a year...they won't even ask if you can drive on the wrong side...they just turn you loose. I'm not actually sure what the rules are in Europe.

Especially in the southern/more religious countries in Europe, make absolutely sure to have long pants and shirts with sleeves. If you intend to visit a church, it's extremely rude to go with shorts or sheveless T's...no matter how hot it is. Some of the more popular destinations won't even let you in.

Rough Guide and Lonely Planet do great guides, especially for people who want to get off the beaten trail...or just see the "must sees" without spending a packet.

If you're planning a trip without tours...you might want to organize your long haul travel days for Sundays...I find those the ones where tourism was toughest.

And that's way more than enough from me....like I said, if I've left out something you're dead curious about...let me know. If I don't know, I'll try to find out.

G
Old 01-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Mama Mia!

Wow, thanks for all that, Ginger...You covered things I hadn't even thought about!

It's a BOY!!