Live Chat

Go Back   Pixies Place Forums > Sex Talk > Advice
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 AM
curvy queen

Antidepressants

I have been on a combination of anti-depressants for a couple years now, but they ahve stopped being effective and I'm going to have to change. I've talked to my doc and am doing some research but would love to hear any advice or experiences from Pixies who have dealt with this issue. What worked or didn't work for you? What side effects did you notice. I know this is a sensitive issue for some, so please only share what you feel comfortable with.

Thanks!
LAW
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 AM
1 of 8,029,150,258

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 AM
curvy queen

I guess what you're saying is that I"m stirring the pot? I didn't really mean to - I"m just looking for honest experiences from anybody that wants to share. If nobody does, then that's cool I get it. It's a sensitive subject.

Just looking for information is all. And not sure why that could constitute stirring stuff up. Maybe I've misinterpreted.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
Being the other side of The Pond, we have different names for a lot of anti-depressants, so I'll be more general and talk a little of the basic types we use.

Most SSRI's are fairly side-effect free, and do a very good job - IF they suit you as an individual. That isn't always the case, be it to do with side effects or simply lack of efficacy.

SNRI's can be almost as good in all ways, but some have a worse side-effect profile than others.

Tri-cyclics are the older type, relatively rarely used these days due to some quite unpleasant (and long lasting) side effects, but they can sometimes be the best when it comes to alleviating the depressive symptoms.

MAOI's aren't used here very often, and have major dietary implications too (NO Chocolate, for example!!)

So, them's the basics. As to what you might want to try - well, how about nothing? As a rule, our service will recommend treatment for 12-18 months then gradually step down to zero, to find out if the symptoms are actually still there. Might sound a bit daft, but until you are drug-free, you won't really know! It may also be more useful (and cheaper, too) to go down another route, such as specific counselling using the "5 areas" approach or similar. I can dig out a link or two for that, if you're interested - or you can look yourself; it's called "SPIRIT - a 5 areas approach" by Dr Chris Williams. Ideally, you should work in conjunction with a trained person who is part of a team (hence the name) but you can do it yourself if you have other support.

Good luck!

DM xx
I only own my mind
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

Send a message via Yahoo to Lilith
I would caution you to not try any thing without a doctor's advice especially if your depression causes you to have urges for self-harm. I have had students who have had to take Abilify and other similar drugs to boost the anti-depressives but the side effects have been severe in some.

SN: I don't think PF meant you were stirring the pot. He has his own views on psychiatry/psychology.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

If I wanted your opinion, I'd remove the duct tape and ask you for it.~ Me
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
One man's dream is another man's nightmare~~~~> §¤ Lilith ¤§

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
I would caution you to not try any thing without a doctor's advice especially if your depression causes you to have urges for self-harm. I have had students who have had to take Abilify and other similar drugs to boost the anti-depressives but the side effects have been severe in some…..

You're quite right Lil, of course; my bad for not being specific enough. I thought my post indicated that actually, but reading it back again it patently doesn't.

DM
I only own my mind
Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

It does dm383 but I just had to say it again. After losing Skipthisone, I will never be silent about the dangers of mental illness again.

The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there.~ Betty Grable

~>My Scribbles<~
==>Gone Shopping<== ~Just a Quickie~ *~A Celebration Vacation~* ~Surprises~ Sleeping With the Window Open
What Did You Do Today? Self Defense Class ~Short Sweet Snippets~ § Summer Spin § Story Challenge Submission Pajamas
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
It does dm383 but I just had to say it again. After losing Skipthisone, I will never be silent about the dangers of mental illness again.

It may, but not clearly enough. Anyway, point taken and noted. ((hug))

DM

NB: This is my fucking JOB …. I really should know better, even if it's "only" on the 'web. It's important.

DM
I only own my mind
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
curvy queen

DM - nothing's not an option for me right now. I've done the therapy and counseling route and believe me, it helps. I've tried several combinations but it seems like as my body adjusts to them they stop being as effective and it have to switch it up. I do alot of research on anything that i take, and I don't take any medications lightly. I really prefer natural/herbal routes or whatever. But unfortuantely for me this is nessecary.

And for both you and Lil - I really appreciate and applaud your commitment to making mental illness a less "taboo" subject. For those of us that deal with it on the daily, it can be a pretty embarrassing topic, with lots of judgements. I didn't know about your friend, and I'm horribly sorry that you lost him - but glad that you are taking the opportunity for positive change.

Thanks for your help! Love ya'll!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
♦*♥Moderatrix♥*♦

LAW- STO was a member here who I loved so much. So did many others. I became convinced over the years that he was bi-polar/ manic-depressive and he finally scheduled an appointment to get help. He was to go on a Tuesday, and the Thursday before he took 72 sleeping pills (after having been awake for I think about 10 days). He survived that. But on Saturday morning he hung himself. 3 days before his doctor's appointment. I will never ignore or think lightly of these issues again. I feel so guilty for all the years I wanted to say something to him but did not want him to be angry with me. My cowardice and need for him to like me allowed me to avoid doing what needed to be done. I know his death was not my fault but I will never ever forgive myself. Because of this, I will risk people being upset or uncomfortable when I talk so openly about it.

If the meds are not working, talk to the doctor and see what the options are. I know there are a lot of factors that cause meds to lose their efficacy. See if the doctor has some ideas for curtailing that maybe.

~>My Scribbles<~
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Huggable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm383
...... MAOI's aren't used here very often, and have major dietary implications too (NO Chocolate, for example!!)

dm -- NO Chocolate?? Are you kidding? That would only add to my depression! I'm joking and shouldn't on such a serious topic, but thats the first thing that popped into my head.

2nd on PF's post -- I don't think he meant you're stirring up anything.... i saw it as him stirring you up a new drug.

LAW -- I started out on a very low dose of Prozac (the generic of it, can't think of the name right now) I began to notice it wasn't as effective and for now an increase in dozage is helping. But I mainly want to ask if you take other meds. Many can cause antidepressants to not work or not as well as they should. Make sure your doc or druggist or you check which meds interact with what others you take. It may not even be a direct reaction. EX: Drug A and drug B are ok together, and both are ok with drug C alone, but all 3 together are not good. Not sure i explained that very good. Just be sure to check drug inter-reactions, and that includes over-the-counter and so called natural or herbal remedies.

Good luck!!